shopping in Marigot

jenson47

i have noticed that most stops on tours are only in Marigot for 30 minutes for shopping. Is this even enough time to see the shops? This will be my first stop to St Martin. I want to really get an feel for this island two cultures. I had originally thought of taking a taxi over and shopping then heading back to phillisburgh to enjoy that side in the afternoon. However, a lot of people recommend Bernard's tours. I am not really interested in a lot of his stops. I don't think i want to enjoy the beaches and the Maho beach does not interest me. So should i take a city tour thought the cruise ship. Suggestions please. i am even more confused as what i should do here to get a feel for the an island that is split between two cultures. :confused:

i have noticed that most stops on tours are only in Marigot for 30 minutes for shopping. Is this even enough time to see the shops? This will be my first stop to St Martin. I want to really get an feel for this island two cultures. I had originally thought of taking a taxi over and shopping then heading back to phillisburgh to enjoy that side in the afternoon. However, a lot of people recommend Bernard's tours. I am not really interested in a lot of his stops. I don't think i want to enjoy the beaches and the Maho beach does not interest me. So should i take a city tour thought the cruise ship. Suggestions please. i am even more confused as what i should do here to get a feel for the an island that is split between two cultures. :confused:

Exploring Grand Case and Marigot and then a stop in Phillipsburg may be a better option for you. You could take a taxi to each place independently, however catching a cab in Grand Case might not be that easy. I would ask a driver how much it would be to hire him/her for the day. All three towns are different and if you are not a beach person you could find things to keep yourself happy visiting these three spots. In Marigot there is the open Market, Marina, Fort, shops and a mall and museum and many cafes and restaurants. In Grand Case there are boutiques and a beach and restaurants and the LOLO's BBQ shacks which are a great place for lunch as well. The shops tend to close in the early afternoon in Marigot and Grand Case so keep that in mind. I would save Phillipsburg for last as it is closest to the ship. Front street and Back street will keep you busy especially if you like jewelery and electronics shopping. Here you will find another museum, many stores and restaurants, a beach and beach bars. I would suggest that you pay your driver on your arrival to Phillipsburg and then take the water taxi or regular taxi back to the ship or even walk if you would like as it is pretty easy to get back from Phillipsburg.

If you are not interested in the beach part of the tours I think it would be a waste of your time doing one, as beach time (Orient or other, and Maho to see the planes) is the main component of these tours.

If your prefer to just walk around the commercial areas I think you should just take a cab to Marigot, spend as much time as you want there, then take a cab back to Philllipsburg and enjoy the remaining time there.

I can understand! I'm not really a beach person. On my second time to St. Martin, I wanted no beach time and just time to explore Marigot a little longer than the standard tours.

I had a driver of my own for the day and spend about two hours in Marigot. There's a small ruin fort at the top of a steep hill and offers great views. My only fault is unlike other islands, the ruins are not really kept up.

I also enjoy walk and viewing the French shops and then heading to the craft market. I managed to find some handcraft bowls, some local artwork and some great curry. My regret was buying a small amount of curry :mad:! I cook alot,esp for potluck and my curry chick dishes became legend at work.

You will find more general tourist items in Phillpsburg,but it still a fun area.

If you want to head to Marigot,head to the taxi stand. If there are others heading that way and if you are willing to share, the taxi fare goes down. Also, the drive is a nice one over. You will find taxis also taking you back to the ship area.

You can also arrange a private tour to head where you want at the taxi stand area.

St. Martin is a wonderful island and one that I suggest to first timer cruisers because it offers alot!

Just so you know, there are public busses, more like minivans, that run between the to towns and cost $2.00 per person each way. We have used them. If you main interest is just the two capital towns it is a great, and inexpensive, way to travel between the to towns.

Exploring Grand Case and Marigot and then a stop in Phillipsburg may be a better option for you. You could take a taxi to each place independently, however catching a cab in Grand Case might not be that easy. I would ask a driver how much it would be to hire him/her for the day. All three towns are different and if you are not a beach person you could find things to keep yourself happy visiting these three spots. In Marigot there is the open Market, Marina, Fort, shops and a mall and museum and many cafes and restaurants. In Grand Case there are boutiques and a beach and restaurants and the LOLO's BBQ shacks which are a great place for lunch as well. The shops tend to close in the early afternoon in Marigot and Grand Case so keep that in mind. I would save Phillipsburg for last as it is closest to the ship. Front street and Back street will keep you busy especially if you like jewelery and electronics shopping. Here you will find another museum, many stores and restaurants, a beach and beach bars. I would suggest that you pay your driver on your arrival to Phillipsburg and then take the water taxi or regular taxi back to the ship or even walk if you would like as it is pretty easy to get back from Phillipsburg.

Hi: This page has some wonderful information! We also want to spend a couples of hours in Marigot. We've done the beach thing a few times. We've also been to Marigot when they had a "ferry" excursion to take you over. A Rum Party if you will.

Does anyone know the cost of the bus to go from P'burg over to Marigot, p/p each way?What about a Taxi for 2? Is there still a Ferry from P'burg to Marigot and the price if anyone knows. Also, I forget about how far one is from the other.

Thank you for any information you can give us. We are checking all options just now. Looking forward to our 11/7/10 Cruise on the Explorer -- 12 Nights.

Hi: This page has some wonderful information! We also want to spend a couples of hours in Marigot. We've done the beach thing a few times. We've also been to Marigot when they had a "ferry" excursion to take you over. A Rum Party if you will.

Does anyone know the cost of the bus to go from P'burg over to Marigot, p/p each way?What about a Taxi for 2? Is there still a Ferry from P'burg to Marigot and the price if anyone knows. Also, I forget about how far one is from the other.

Thank you for any information you can give us. We are checking all options just now. Looking forward to our 11/7/10 Cruise on the Explorer -- 12 Nights.

See the post I wrote just above yours about the cost of the bus between the two capitals.

\

The only scheduled boat that I know is through Aquamania at Pelican Marina and leaves at 9 and returns at 1 on every day but Sunday. The cost is $10.00 per person and although it doesn't say I would think that the boat would go through the lagoon which would make for some pretty great sights of mega yachts and villas. Even though this would not be the most cost effective way to get to Marigot because on top of the boat trip it would require a taxi to the Simpson Bay area I thought that I would throw it out there as you are looking for ideas.

\

The only scheduled boat that I know is through Aquamania at Pelican Marina and leaves at 9 and returns at 1 on every day but Sunday. The cost is $10.00 per person and although it doesn't say I would think that the boat would go through the lagoon which would make for some pretty great sights of mega yachts and villas. Even though this would not be the most cost effective way to get to Marigot because on top of the boat trip it would require a taxi to the Simpson Bay area I thought that I would throw it out there as you are looking for ideas.

Hi and thanks! Appreciate anyone's thoughts and ideas. I know we have time, but all information is good and welcome. Also still trying to figure out other things for the different Islands. I'm sure we will. We don't need a definite plan, but some things to mull over.

Again, thank you and if you have any other ideas, please feel free to share same.

Have a wonderful day!!

Archived