Epic Photo Gallery

Doeymeister

One of the subjects of today's webcast was the new approach the Epic will be taking with the photo gallery. Instead of the usual thousands of pictures all mounted on boards, NCL will apparently be using digital monitors. Your picture will be taken at boarding and linked to your cabin number using facial recognition software. When you want to see all the pictures taken of you during the cruise, you'll simply input your cabin number (or maybe swipe your card) at one of the stations in the photo gallery, and all your pictures will come up on the monitor.

This will certainly make it easier to find your pictures, but I think I'm going to miss being able to look over everyone's photos. That was sometimes a form of entertainment in itself.

They had this on Oasis. There will be stations were you swipe your card to see them.

The problem that some people had was if they were with someone who had a separate photo taken say at supper where individual photos were taken it would only show in their's so if you wanted it included with yours you had to get them to buy it, then get it put into yours. This could end up beening very expensive for some. Ie flow rider pics or zip line pic were all individual so not in your group even in same room.

They had package deals for $200.00 but it had to be your photos as above.

I think it's still a good idea. I found that printing all those photos on paper was a big environmental waste of paper. If you were not buying them, they were going to the garbage can. What a waste!

Now with this software, nothing is printed.... I think it's really a good idea to have this implemented here on the Epic... All cruise liners should take this into consideration.

This will certainly make it easier to find your pictures, but I think I'm going to miss being able to look over everyone's photos. That was sometimes a form of entertainment in itself.

This is why I like the new system. I'm one of those unphotogenic people that somehow manages to look dippity in 99% of my pictures. I hated taking my pictures on the ship because the world would get to see my humiliation. Unfortunately the only way to get a good picture is to take eighty bazillion of them. :( So every cruise there are eighty bazillion pictures of me looking like a doof. :rolleyes:

I think it's still a good idea. I found that printing all those photos on paper was a big environmental waste of paper. If you were not buying them, they were going to the garbage can. What a waste!

Now with this software, nothing is printed.... I think it's really a good idea to have this implemented here on the Epic... All cruise liners should take this into consideration.

I love it for this reason as well!!!

On Equinox the pictures showed up on your TV in your room as the Screensaver. Then you could go on the TV and find your pictures folder and even crop them and order from your room.

It worked quite well and it was great to not have to look for our pictures.

First and only time I encountered this technology was on the Solstice charter and I loved it! It's a great and eco-friendly way to do pictures and should have been thought of long before now!

NOTE: Make sure you like the people you are taking a picture with! If not you'll have their pictures that were taken all over your TV screen in your cabin! I was not photogenic on the trip but the other person was and it was so random!! LOL :eek::D

I haven't been on a cruise where they did this. This could be exciting. :D Do you know when they are taking your pictures? Or the camera's are all over the place and you have no clue?

You should be fully aware of your photo being taken... there are security cameras everywhere, but they aint taking portraits.

You can have pics taken formally like a portrait, debarking in a port, embarking the ship in Miami, perhaps a photog will catch you at dinner or a show or around the pool. Of course you can always refuse a picture.

~Intrepid <-- say "cheese"

You should be fully aware of your photo being taken... there are security cameras everywhere, but they aint taking portraits.

You can have pics taken formally like a portrait, debarking in a port, embarking the ship in Miami, perhaps a photog will catch you at dinner or a show or around the pool. Of course you can always refuse a picture.

~Intrepid <-- say "cheese"

Any idea the cost of these pictures they take?

Archived