How doable is 4 people in a room?

ksc1984

I guess I will be the lone dissenter. I did a 14 day Alaska cruise in an inside with my DD 25, and husband wife friend of mine. We were a bit cramped at times but had no real problems. To throw in some wrenches, I call it a night about 11 and my friends came in at about 3am. Still no problems. I wake up at about 5:30 my DD sleeps in until 10. Again no problems. We just had to be considerate about things. Plus, it was one of those 3/4 went for free, so on a 14 day, it saved us a bunch of money for the excursions, which in Alaska are very expensive.

Would I make a habit of this? No. Would I do it if I could get two rooms at real close to the same price as one? No. But on a good sale, saving a grand, cheap me says sign me up.

:D

I think the bathroom is the decision point.....can all four get along with one bathroom.......I had a college roommate that took forever in the bathroom......and it was not a happy time for the rest of us when we had to use it....

Thanks everybody. Good points. This is exactly what I thought. They are adult children living with us and honestly no matter how much we love them, we both are looking forward to an "empty nest". That's why we take cruises without them! But just once, we want to share a cruise with them. Also I forgot about the one bathroom! As far as the comfort level, I can see privacy issues. Now I just need to make my husband think 2 rooms was his idea! Any ideas sapper1?:D

I agree with Ruth--at least I think it was Ruth----take the family on a long weekend trip and stay in one room to save money. Make sure it is a small hotel room---one of those rooms that has a bathroom that two people could not stand in together. Then arrange with your children beforehand to make the bathroom seem a big issue without being obvious.

Make sure you try to have a family room service breakfast in this small room as well. It would also be handy if you had a small balcony with only two chairs. Don't complain about a thing all weekend. Showing is so much better than telling.;)

• 2 months later...
I'm thinking of a cruise with my adult children. They are step-sibs, ages 26(daughter) and 21(son). We're trying to save money as they are both still in college. (:(). Anyway, wondering if I would rather try one room at the sale price or pay for two rooms nearby, maybe an interior and an exterior view. Anyone tried four adults together and what catagory was your room?

we did it with our 2 kids age 10 and 16 adn had no problem yes it was small but the price was rigth

I'm thinking of a cruise with my adult children. They are step-sibs, ages 26(daughter) and 21(son). We're trying to save money as they are both still in college. (:(). Anyway, wondering if I would rather try one room at the sale price or pay for two rooms nearby, maybe an interior and an exterior view. Anyone tried four adults together and what catagory was your room?

My family has done 4 adults in a large interior twice, and it's been manageable.

The ages of everyone was 49, 49, 20, 18.

The only issue was shower rotations, and the 3 women sharing the one outlet for hair straightening. But it wasn't unbearable.. just gotta have a little patience.

Although the pull-out-of-the-wall bed and the sofa bed needed to be used, and certainly weren't as comfy as the regular bed.. we all still had a restful nights sleep.

All in all, no complaints!

If you want to go for a large interior, that'll save you quite a bit of money, and maybe you could take the money you saved and go on an excursion or something?

Just a thought :)

I just shared a Deluxe Veranda Suite on the Noordam with my parents (I'm 44) and my son (12). There was more than enough room for us when the couch was closed. They brought in a cot for my son which was big enough for me as well. It was a bit tricky when the couch and cot were open but both were closed by the cabin steward first thing in the morning. Because the room is bigger, there was a double sink in the bathroom as well as a stall shower and tub so getting ready wasn't such an issue. I wouldn't attempt it in a smaller cabin though.

We're on the NA in June for 12 nights - me, DH, DD (18) and DS(16). We booked an SA suite because it was cheaper than the 2 room options available (at least one balcony was required for me!) If we can't get a roll-away, DH and I will sleep on the sofa bed and the kids will take the 2 twins. The larger balcony and bathroom make a difference.

We were in a balcony last year on the Zuiderdam. The bunk over the bed is what drove me crazy. I will NOT do that again. I'm OK in a Carnival balcony, with the bunk over the sofa.

We shower in shifts. The guys usually go first then go for food (appetizers) while the ladies get ready.

After reading this thread, now I'm getting nervous about our upcoming 7 day on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We booked an SS Suite for 3 of us - me, my cousin and my DH. Will there be enough room? The bathroom looks big enough, so that should work. Is it super cramped when the sofa is made up into a bed? Yikes!

We had one inside cabin. We had our 2 teenage children with us. 1 Boy 17 & 1 Girl 15. The boys (DH & DS) went to the spa and showered and got ready there. The girls used the cabin bath. It worked out. If you want it to work out, it will. We spent very little time in the cabin. Just Slept and showered. :rolleyes:

I perfectly understand the expense of college, particularly if you have 2 in college at the same time, as we did, and how it cramps the budget. This, too, passes. Ours are both out of school now and are employed! YEAH! :D When you're crunching the college expense numbers, it seems it will never end. But.....it does. So hang in there. Do what you feel is best for you and your budget!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the NA.....had a balcony cabin with DH, DD 17 and DS 13. It was fine. You are able to slide by the sofa bed when it's open. We did it every morning to have coffee on the balcony while the kids slept. We also had plenty of storage space.

After reading this thread, now I'm getting nervous about our upcoming 7 day on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We booked an SS Suite for 3 of us - me, my cousin and my DH. Will there be enough room? The bathroom looks big enough, so that should work. Is it super cramped when the sofa is made up into a bed? Yikes!

We have taken a number of family cruises in an SA with three. No problem at all as the sofa bed is large and comfortable. In the morning, we would just fold it up partially, or make it up ourselves. Took very little time. With regard to the bathroom, it just takes a little planning and patience. I think an SS would be ok, too. A smaller stateroom presents a challenge. I think the willingness of those occupying the room to be thoughtful is the key. Being neat also helps. We are trying a cruise for three in a B veranda, and that will be interesting. The SA for that trip is just too expensive.

we did it with our 2 kids age 10 and 16 adn had no problem yes it was small but the price was rigth

So glad to hear this - we'll be doing it with our 16 and 9 year old daughters! We were going for the cheaper rate so we could spend more on excursions...which I heard we DON'T want to skimp on in Alaska!

Archived