How doable is 4 people in a room?

ksc1984

I'm thinking of a cruise with my adult children. They are step-sibs, ages 26(daughter) and 21(son). We're trying to save money as they are both still in college. (:(). Anyway, wondering if I would rather try one room at the sale price or pay for two rooms nearby, maybe an interior and an exterior view. Anyone tried four adults together and what catagory was your room?

I'd book 2 rooms, the inside and outside. I can see why you want to save money and HAL usually has 3 & 4th passenger discounts - but 4 adults and one bathroom? I have enough problems with just my husband and him hogging the potty when I want to get in.

I'm thinking of a cruise with my adult children. They are step-sibs, ages 26(daughter) and 21(son). We're trying to save money as they are both still in college. (:(). Anyway, wondering if I would rather try one room at the sale price or pay for two rooms nearby, maybe an interior and an exterior view. Anyone tried four adults together and what catagory was your room?

I vote for 2 rooms as well. We were in a deluxe verandah so it had lots of room but it was not good for sleeping arrangements. I ended up having to sleep with my daughter and my husband had to sleep with our son (both kids are adult children) so it was not ideal at all!

You could honestly offer me a free cruise and if it involved four adults in one cabin I would say "no thanks".

As a matter of fact, when we arrived home from our recent Veendam cruise, where we had a balcony cabin with one basin, my husband immediately had our cruise for next April on the Nieuw Amsterdam upgraded to an SS suite because he said he wasn't sharing a basin with me for a month. I guess I should have been insulted but I am secretly pleased as punch.;)

If you had said the four of you were VERY close friends, all of the same gender, I might vote to save money for the laughs you would have bumping elbows (and all your other body parts!) while doing anything besides sleeping in your cabin.

I agree with the other replies. Get two cabins. Even if it doesn't bother you, at least one of your family members is bound to be uncomfortable. I hope you enjoy your cruise!

DH and I took DD (18 at the time) on our last cruise we all stayed in one cabin. The bathroom sharing is a huge issue and she does not spend long periods of time in there. If I wanted to go out on the balcony before she got out of bed I had to crawl over her bed. That did not go over well. We paid $99 for her fare. If you can possibly swing it get two cabins if not at least you have some idea what you are getting yourself into.

On my first cruise, we had 4 people in an inside cabin on NCL Spirit. We ranged in age from 18-24. 3 guys, 1 girl. It was VERY cramped, but in all honesty, it was still a great time. We weren't in the cabin other than for sleeping. Given the choice of 4 people in a cabin, or not going on a cruise, I'd share the cabin any day. There are bathrooms all over the ship, so if the one in the cabin is occupied, you can go to one of the other ones, and the spa has great private showers, so even showering and getting dressed wouldn't be an issue. Now, granted, you'll have NO privacy, but if you can get over that, I say go for it!

We did four adults in a suite once and never again! Too many issues - especially with the bathroom. No privacy whatsoever. We would never do it again, even with relatives. And a suite is MUCH larger than an interior cabin, which averages around 175 square feet) Think about: closet/drawer/bathroom space; everything will always need to be picked up & stored away; everyone trying to get dressed at the same time; does everyone go to bed & wake up at the same hour - just to name a few things......

IMHO - with an inside cabin and four adults you all would be crazy by the end of your cruise! We would suggest you get two cabins next to or across the hall from each other.

You could honestly offer me a free cruise and if it involved four adults in one cabin I would say "no thanks".

As a matter of fact, when we arrived home from our recent Veendam cruise, where we had a balcony cabin with one basin, my husband immediately had our cruise for next April on the Nieuw Amsterdam upgraded to an SS suite because he said he wasn't sharing a basin with me for a month. I guess I should have been insulted but I am secretly pleased as punch.;)

Good job, sapper1 !! I love it when a woman can make her man think that it's "his idea." ;) As my second husband always said, "women rule the world." :D

Good job, sapper1 !! I love it when a woman can make her man think that it's "his idea." ;) As my second husband always said, "women rule the world." :D

Well, maybe I did make myself a little more annoying than necessary.:D

On my first cruise, we had 4 people in an inside cabin on NCL Spirit. We ranged in age from 18-24. 3 guys, 1 girl. It was VERY cramped, but in all honesty, it was still a great time. We weren't in the cabin other than for sleeping. Given the choice of 4 people in a cabin, or not going on a cruise, I'd share the cabin any day. There are bathrooms all over the ship, so if the one in the cabin is occupied, you can go to one of the other ones, and the spa has great private showers, so even showering and getting dressed wouldn't be an issue. Now, granted, you'll have NO privacy, but if you can get over that, I say go for it!

While I agree with u if all are close in age, in this case it is one older person and two college aged - not a good combo especially in any cabin under an S category - IMO anyway..

Whatever the OP chooses, I hope they have a great cruise! :)

I shared a verandah suite (not deluxe) with my 2 adult sons in January because we were going to Hawaii and wanted a balcony. At the end of the cruise we talked about next time - do we want to share another suite with verandah or give up the verandah in favor of 2 cabins with 2 bathrooms and a wall between us for privacy. I barely got the question out before they said "TWO CABINS!" - I was happy with that answer!

Do your kids live near you? Get a motel room for 1-2 nights and all 4 of you stay there. See how it works out....hopefully great but either way you will have an answer about cabins. Keep in mind the average Motel 6 has more floorspace than a cruise ship cabin....even so many of the dynamics that will make it a success or failure will be at play.

Four adults sharing one small bathroom? No, thank you.

You posted that both kids are still in college; however, they are old enough to have summer jobs. Let them contribute to their cruise fare. Unless you feel your cruise would be ruined by not having a balcony view, book two inside cabins. Enjoy the view from one of the open decks. The money saved, not to mention everyone's sanity, is worth it.

Just for grins and giggles I mentioned sharing an S category cabin to my wife and adult son. I used the suggestion that we could do a Med cruise that way and save money for all of us. My son hung up and my wife walked out of the room. :o :eek:

I agree with two cabins. What we have found on many of our cruises, the lowest price cabins are not the triples and quads, and therefore the cost per person is not a lot different for two cabins when there are four adults. It has only been a $400-500 difference on many of our cruises. I'd rather make up the difference with other choices (excursions, alcohol, etc.), if that is the issue.

Do your kids live near you? Get a motel room for 1-2 nights and all 4 of you stay there. See how it works out....hopefully great but either way you will have an answer about cabins. Keep in mind the average Motel 6 has more floorspace than a cruise ship cabin....even so many of the dynamics that will make it a success or failure will be at play.

Good idea! To get an even better idea would take a week, but a couple of days would at least give a taste. Then multiply the negatives tenfold.

I agree with some of the other replies that two cabins is a better idea. If you get adjoining cabins you can open the doors between, and go back and forth more freely. You'll even be able to share the two bathrooms that way. You can close the doors when you want to.

We were in a balcony on Noordam in May, there were four of us, my husband, myself and our two sons, 24 and 16. We were very cramped and yes if I wanted to get to the veranda i had to crawl over the bed. My 16 year old had the pull down bed that was over the queen bed, when it was made up we couldn't sit on the bed to watch tv. I do agree if possible to get two room but I would not give up a free cruise if I had to share a room again, would just make due.

glotta be cute here :cool: If you want a verandah, check out that price and the inside and then check out the penthouse.

The only way I would share 4 to a cabin is the penthouse. Separate bedroom, separate bed in the living room and 2 bathrooms (second is not a full bath, but it is still a good for the necessities. Don't laugh, depending upon the sailing the penthouse might not be much more than the two rooms.

Otherwise, I would definitely do two rooms. Happy cruising no matter what you decide

Thanks everybody. Good points. This is exactly what I thought. They are adult children living with us and honestly no matter how much we love them, we both are looking forward to an "empty nest". That's why we take cruises without them! But just once, we want to share a cruise with them. Also I forgot about the one bathroom! As far as the comfort level, I can see privacy issues. Now I just need to make my husband think 2 rooms was his idea! Any ideas sapper1?:D

Archived