RCCL - 7 night cruise - must hubby bring jacket? dress shorts for men in dining room?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xpcdoojk:

But Hucc, that is why we have the double standard.

jc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_wink.gif but surely you guys aren't actually complaining about this are you?

Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas

11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas

Alaska - Dawn Princess

Coastal - Island Princess

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruisecrasy:

Challenges are in vogue these days - used to be just teenagers but some folks are forever that age it seems. Use it or lose it is what I am afraid of - so if u like the dress codes stick up for them 'loudly and frequently' especially on the ship itself. I now complain if people aren't being turned away from the dining room if incorrectly dressed - I ask u - where can those 'dressed up' folks go - the 'slobs' can eat elsewhere but where can we go who are dressed up? Don't let them take over and believe me they will if they can...I am not asking them to change but they are trying to force the balance of us into their mode of dress on the entire ship. 'Nuff said'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you noticed though, it's everywhere, not just on ships. No one gets dressed up anymore. I walk around the office and often think..."what the hell are you thinking" this is an office. I'm guilty too, people used to dress up to fly...I wear my most comfortable clothes now.

Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas

11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas

Alaska - Dawn Princess

Coastal - Island Princess

I do not care if they are dress shorts-- they are inapproiate to wear in the dining room for dinner. We who like to dress up and have paid for our cruise and obey the dress code should not have to deal with folks who don't.-- the restaurant Matre de should turn them away at the door, they way they did this last cruise on Princess==(hint hint RCC) I remember when we first started cruising not that long ago, that Celebrity would not let you in the dining room for breakfast or lunch in shorts- let alone dinner. Just saying my opionon

norm

The formal nights cruising makes for a delightful and most uplifting experience for myself and my wife.I enjoy the chance to dress UP and live a little.

..Showing up in dress attire that is not befitting the evening and also not accommodating dress code set aside by ship recommendations and RULES is just another step to the decline of 'The Cruise Experience'...IMO

Alaska (my BIG 50)Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

cruisecrasy,

The cruise lines are IMO ,trying to accommodate everyone in the traditions of cruise styling.

I for one agree with most of their policies and recommendations.

If they say ' children may swim in the Solarium during these hours... etc, So be it!

If they say' Formal Evening attire Tux and Gown...etc, SO BE IT!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;8;8;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Personally, as a 29 yp guy, I prefer to wear the tux on the formal nights. This past cruise, had worn the white jacket/black pants tux and it lloked great, according to the DW. I think, for the formal nights, tuxes a must. It is a special occassion and how often do you really ever get that dressed up?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Mariner of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Explorer of the Seas 11/02

Royal Majesty 12/95

Costa Riviera 8/89 & 12/89

<marquee direction="right" scrolldelay="0">

boat001.gif

GET OUT THERE!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I was on the Granduer the begining of April. I was appauled to see almost every night except formal, FAMILIES coming onto the dining room in shorts and polo/T-shirts. The dining room staff said NOTHING. To make it worse, my travel companion decided she was going to too because others were. It made me uncomfortable sharing a table with her and displeased to see others purposely challenging the dress code.

(shame on those RCCL employees who didn't send the diners to the causual dining option).

Maureen

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maureen, you sound like either a snob, or worse, you are actually so close-minded to think that there is something wrong with the idea of dressing down on VACATION. I too think that there should be a lesser "formal" dress code. For example, a man should be able to wear a nice jacket, no-collar shirt, and either slacks or "nice" denim pants.

I wear a suit every day to work, and while I am on vacation, I shouldn't be REQUIRED to wear something I don't feel like wearing.

I know what the response will be too from others. "If you don't want to dress up, either don't go on a cruise or go to the less formal dining areas." Guess what... I have as much right to be on that ship as anyone else. I too paid my fare, and its the snobbish attitudes I am seeing in certain responses that make me feel like sharing my opinion on the matter.

I should be able to enjoy the cuisine in the main dining room just as much as anyone else. And to tell you the truth, I'm not some hillbilly either who doesn't know how to tie a tie. That's not what I am getting at. I should be able to dress the way I want and not be chastised by the "snobs" on this board who are living in another era.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine about the no shorts, no t-shirts, etc., but give me a break about being "appauled" at how people are dressing more "smart casual" than tuxes and double-breasted suits. The example of attire that I described above would be perfectly appropriate. This isn't the QEII or the Titanic folks.

Sorry, just had to vent at the snobbish response Maureen left on this otherwise great board.

[This message was edited by allamricn on 06-07-04 at 10:23 PM.]

Allam. Who said you cannot dress down on vacation? It's a matter of the vacation you choose and your taste and comfort level. Cruises have always been a bit more upscale and refined than your typical week at the beach or mountain cabin. Make the right personal choice that fits you and your family. And by the way, those that enjoy cruising, including the dining experience are not snobs because they want to see the dress standards maintained and not

dumbed down. And have the respect for others to follow those standards.

allamricn quote : (in part)This isn't the QEII or the Titanic folks.-----------------

Then what in your opinion is it ???

Slobsville?

icon_rolleyes.gif

RCCL , Is still a respectable cruise line with class. IMO

Dress accordingly,

thankyou

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cruise Junky:

Have you noticed though, it's everywhere, not just on ships. No one gets dressed up anymore. I walk around the office and often think..."what the hell are you thinking" this is an office. I'm guilty too, people used to dress up to fly...I wear my most comfortable clothes now.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe its because I work in the entertainment industry, but at both my internships people wear t-shirts and jeans. My first day at both places I showed up wearing khakis and button down shirts, and felt over dressed, and everyone kept on joking that it must have been my first day.

As for having to dress up - I don't really get the point of it anymore, especially in business. Sure, most people look better dressed up, but it doesn't really matter. People are more comfortable in other clothes and are probably more productive when they are comfortable.

Bensjamin3 - IT DOES MATTER - that is part of the problem! Some of u folks are proving the adage that states 'convince a fool against his/her will and he retains his/her opinion still' - how so true and what a waste of time for some of us to even try and explain all the 'ins & outs' of class, respect etc 'cause they will have or find a critisism or excuse everytime. No wonder the cruising experience is declining it is simply going the way of our very civilization! Think I am wrong then just remember this in the years to come.

I have never seen RCI enforce the dress code in the dining room. I too have seen people in shorts in the dining room at dinner time. Technically, formal attire is "suggested" on formal nights and not a requirement. No shorts in the dining room is considered a "policy" and should therefore be a requirement that is enforced. The bottom line here is the bottom line. RCI never turns anyone away from the dining room because they are afraid of losing them as a repeat customer.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

The message that many of you are sending is that "don't ruin it for us" or "choose another vacation/cruise/etc" is a bit snobbish in the sense that you make it sound like your experience is so diminished by what others do. As I stated earlier in this post, I totally agree that the main dining room should be free from shorts, t-shirts, cutoff jeans, etc, but there is a point where people can put on a pair of pants, a shirt, and maybe a jacket and look totally clean, totally presentable, and not an eyesore to others. That certainly shouldn't offend anyone.

But to make comments like "no one dresses up anymore" just goes to show that one's idea of looking nice for the main dining room may not be exactly what another's opinion of "nice" is. Everyone who goes on a cruise should enjoy the same experiences because they all paid the same $.

Is anyone telling me that if Ben Affleck or Mel Gibson, wearing say a nice pair of jeans, nice shirt, and sportcoat, walked through the doors and sat down at a table next to you that you would be "appauled" at their choice of attire? Highly likely not. So let's relax a bit about the dress code. Let people wear what they want, keep your comments to yourself, and let everyone have a good time. That's the MAIN point of any cruise.

"keep your comments to yourself, and let everyone have a good time. That's the MAIN point of any cruise."

But.....NOT keeping our comments to ourselves, AND having a good time doing it, is the MAIN point of these boards... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Peggy - RCI since 1973

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So let's relax a bit about the dress code. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you truly felt this way, why would you post in such an inflamatory manner? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Beth

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
If you truly felt this way, why would you post in such an inflamatory manner? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because it truly bothers me that people can be so petty about someone's attire. In all my posts, I have totally agreed with the no shorts/no tshirts, etc, but what I don't agree with is that a "suit & tie" makes someone anymore formal that a gentleman wearing a nice shirt and slacks on a cruise. Its not a wedding, its not a funeral, its a cruise. It just goes to show the "old" way of thinking. I am sure if you asked a majority of people on this board from say 50 years and older, they would say something different that your 20, 30, possibily 40 somethings.

The post that brought this on was the inflamatory language used in her post- she was [B]appauled[/B] at the way someone dressed. Are people really going to have their whole cruise experience ruined by someone else's attire? I doubt it. I'm sure most of us will likely remember the ports of call, the excursions, etc over the dinners. Just my opinion, but I am sure others share it.

Maybe a less formal cruise line would suit (sorry [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]) you better. Say Windstar.

Beth

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;10;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Mariner of the Seas Reali-Tini Cruise Oct. 16/05

Our lifestyle is very casual. And DH @ 51 still
wears jean size worn in high school and he's a looker. The grace of a cat and a tush that's
a work of art. He dutifully packs a suit for
formal nights and keeps that hot bod appropriately dressed.

DD recently attended her prom with date in formal kilt wear. Good grief, hope he didn't
delight her or other unsuspecting folk with
his "natural hair color".

CSW

On our last cruise there were a group of young ladies who were cruising together...on both formal nights a couple of them wore micro-mini dresses...when a woman wears a dress like that she has to shave...and I dont mean her legs!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am sure if you asked a majority of people on this board from say 50 years and older, they would say something different that your 20, 30, possibily 40 somethings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I must be an old fashioned 35 year old, but I was raised that a dress code is a dress code, whether it's required or just recommended, and I follow it. And if I don't want to, that there are other options open to me. Luckily I enjoy dressing up, so it's a non-issue. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for everyone else, it would be nice if they could go along with the recommended dress codes. But as long as they're well mannered, polite, and a good conversationalist, I'm not going to pitch a fit if they don't.

Katie
"I'm currently out of my mind, but please feel free to leave a message..."

Archived