Questions please help

chefchick

We depart this Saturday on the Rotterdam out of Seattle to Alaska. This board has been very helpful in the planning stages but I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to get clear answers from and would appreciate any help.

1. Embarkation lunch. We prefer to avoid the Lido. IF the ship has one, can 1 star mariners attend or is it only for 3+? I know we can always "try" but I don't want to start my vacation with a "walk of shame". Also, I've read that we should try the lower level of the dining room, would anyone know which deck that would be on the Rotterdam?

2. Thermal spa. I would like to get a day pass during one port day while the hubby and son go on a hike. IF they are available, do I HAVE to purchase it the day of, or can I purchase it on the first since I know which day I would prefer? And For those of you who have been on recent Alaska cruises, how crowded was the thermal area? It makes no sense to be in there if it's crowded.

3. Viewing. We have an interior cabin. I know Alaska is all about the scenery so does anyone have a "secret" spot where we can take in the views without jockeying for position on the upper deck?

4. Okay, the important last one. Which lounge serves the best martini on board? Do you have a favorite bartender on the Rotterdam?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. The Embarkation lunch is for all Mariner levels. The MDR lower level is on the Promenade deck.

3. The best spot for scenic viewing IMO is the Crow's Nest, but the best seats there will go early on scenic cruising days. Almost anywhere on the Lido deck will give you good views of one side.

Enjoy the Great Land! :)

When you get on the ship and know exactly what day you want to book the spa -- do it then.

As for bar tenders and bar servers -- they are rotated every 7 days -- so if someone mentions that they liked So-and-So in a certain bar -- that person may not be working that bar when you get on the ship.

We depart this Saturday on the Rotterdam out of Seattle to Alaska. This board has been very helpful in the planning stages but I still have a few questions that I haven't been able to get clear answers from and would appreciate any help.

1. Embarkation lunch. We prefer to avoid the Lido. IF the ship has one, can 1 star mariners attend or is it only for 3+? I know we can always "try" but I don't want to start my vacation with a "walk of shame". Also, I've read that we should try the lower level of the dining room, would anyone know which deck that would be on the Rotterdam?

2. Thermal spa. I would like to get a day pass during one port day while the hubby and son go on a hike. IF they are available, do I HAVE to purchase it the day of, or can I purchase it on the first since I know which day I would prefer? And For those of you who have been on recent Alaska cruises, how crowded was the thermal area? It makes no sense to be in there if it's crowded.

3. Viewing. We have an interior cabin. I know Alaska is all about the scenery so does anyone have a "secret" spot where we can take in the views without jockeying for position on the upper deck?

4. Okay, the important last one. Which lounge serves the best martini on board? Do you have a favorite bartender on the Rotterdam?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. It seems that the embarkation lunch is for all pax, regardless of Mariner status. I'm not sure they serve anywhere else during the process, but you can certainly check. There's no shame in not knowing and having to ask.

3. For viewing, I've found the lower promenade deck (the outside wooden track around the ship) is not so crowded as the Lido deck and Sky deck or Crow's Nest and that it protects you from wet weather better than the outside upper decks. I've found on our cruises that the windows of both the Lido and Crow's Nest are just a bit too messy for good photos and viewing. You'll have to dress for the weather outside though.

4. I'd say it's by bartender, not lounge, but not having sailed on the Rottie I can't recommend one.

Hope this is helpful.

Your "important last" question is also always mine! I've found that a few of the bartenders need a little "training" sometimes, but it's worth the effort.:D

I like my vodka martinis whisper dry, served up, with the ice from the shaker in a second glass, so I can add it and make the drink last longer. Granted, the final sip is not as WOW as the first, but, it does prolong the drink (some bartenders call this a Vodka martini up with dirty ice back).

Have fun on your cruise! I'll be cruising Alaska in September. Can hardly wait!

Archived