I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

Nice sub shots.

Cannot believe anyone in their right mind would get into one of those things.:eek:

There's a link to my photos in my signature - click on the "Sydney-Before and After" group on the right hand side. I was fine once I got in - had to go backwards through the hatch and down the ladder. :eek: Let's just say I'm not a spring chicken any more and definitely not as flexible as I once was. But it was incredibly interesting - great volunteers on board to answer questions.

There's a link to my photos in my signature - click on the "Sydney-Before and After" group on the right hand side. I was fine once I got in - had to go backwards through the hatch and down the ladder. :eek: Let's just say I'm not a spring chicken any more and definitely not as flexible as I once was. But it was incredibly interesting - great volunteers on board to answer questions.

I would have no problem getting in one tied to a pier.

No way am I getting into a giant hunk of metal and going down a couple hundred feet, or even 10 feet.

No way am I getting into a giant hunk of metal and going down a couple hundred feet, or even 10 feet.

Built by the lowest bidder....

Dave

Thank you all for the nice comments!

I just happened to be in the right spot (namely on the Manly Ferry) and glad I had my camera with me (never travel too far without it ;)) On the return ferry trip some 2 1/2 hrs later I could not spot it anywhere.

As to the friendly nation bit - I have no idea ... :eek: Might ring the port authority to try and find out more about it.

I love Pike's Place Market and especially the flower stalls. Lovely photos.

The sub shots are a little eerie. I didn't even know those things were still used except in top secret missions. :p I'd hate to be sailing and have one of those pop up in front of me.

I don't think I would care for a real military sub, but the Atlantis Sub we did our first time in St. Thomas was wonderful. Maybe it was all the windows that made it ok, but we did go down to 90 feet.

I love Pike's Place Market and especially the flower stalls. Lovely photos.

The sub shots are a little eerie. I didn't even know those things were still used except in top secret missions. :p I'd hate to be sailing and have one of those pop up in front of me.

During maneuvers, the often practice emergency surfacing drills.

ssn-761-p01.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=90448&d=1345261200

Pop! :eek:

Dave

Still one of the coolest moments in the movie Hunt for Red October...they used real footage of a U.S. nuc. sub doing an emergency surface breach...it's definitely pretty awesome seeing that massive black tube come flying out of the water like a porpoise!

My son was in the Navy on a nuc sub & when it was in port in Charleston we got to take a tour. WOW, couln't believe how big it was after you got down into it! Very impressive and of course I asked his Captain if anything went wrong "would my son be the first off" and he answered "yes, that's what I tell all the mothers"! :)

Still one of the coolest moments in the movie Hunt for Red October...they used real footage of a U.S. nuc. sub doing an emergency surface breach...it's definitely pretty awesome seeing that massive black tube come flying out of the water like a porpoise!

That would be one heck of a wild ride. I'd be sick probably.

Nice photos, everyone. I like being on boats (ships) but definitely not submarines. Anyway.

I have seriously missed posting weekly photos so I will try to catch up here. We have been on a longish road trip stopping in Savannah, GA, then a conference in Orlando and finally a visit to Disney for celebration of our daughter’s birthday and to indulge her family in Fantasy Land.

So, River Street in Savannah,

original.jpg

Of course we had to go through “It’s a Small World” at Disney. I shot a series at an ISO of 12800 and was amazed at the quality, with some help from the noise reduction in Lightroom.

original.jpg

And from the obligatory “Princess Breakfast,”

original.jpg

Larry