Medical permission for care of 14 yo not cruising

mlyn

My husband and I are cruising in July while our 14 year old son will be at summer camp. My 30 year old son will be responsible for him if there are any problems. How do I make sure my 30 yo son is able to give permission for my 14 yo to be treated if he has any medical problems while we are gone. Is there any legal documents we can sign, or should we write a letter or do a power of attorney?

My husband and I are cruising in July while our 14 year old son will be at summer camp. My 30 year old son will be responsible for him if there are any problems. How do I make sure my 30 yo son is able to give permission for my 14 yo to be treated if he has any medical problems while we are gone. Is there any legal documents we can sign, or should we write a letter or do a power of attorney?

Do a LIMITED Medical Power of Attorney for Medical Treatment ONLY. The effected dates should be listed for the period that you are gone. I would also advise your family doctors that you will be gone and advise them who the responsible party will be for your son. You may also want to include and a medical directive and make sure the care giver has a complete medical history just in case it is needed.

Can you tell I am the mom of a special needs child :o

Have a GREAT cruise.

the doctor office i used to work in required a notorized letter from the parent stating who could seek treatment for the child. it actually could be a hand written letter, as long as it was notorized. you might check with your local hospital and your childs primary care provider to make sure you have whatever paperwork you need, as it can vary from provider to provider.

All the above is great advice.....but also keep in my mind that in a emergency situations medical care is given under "Implied Consent" meaning that if they could not get ahold of you, the Doctor or EMS would give the appropaite care that most/any responsible parent would approve.

Check with the laws on this in your state....They can change from state to state....Unless someone here has had experience in the state you live they are just spinning what they think you should do.

Talk to your primary doctor for advise and the state medical board....

I know our local hospitals have a specific form just for cases like this, it takes only a few minutes to fill out and it's on file there for an unlimited amount of time (so if anything else were to happen, other than when you're on the cruise, he's on file so X, Y and Z people have permission to consent to treatment for him).

To the OP

While everyone who is giving you advice means well, this matter is too important to rely on a cruise message board for information. The laws in every state are different (though most of them are similar). Please check with the child's pediatrician as to what is required, or consult a local attorney. Doing anything else is risking your child's health.

Archived