Visa requirements-china

dfhnis

We are booked on the 3/17/11 Azamara Quest to China and S. Korea Is any body up on the Visa Requirements. I contacted Azamara but not heard back yet I found a web site called CDC and if I read it correctly the Visa's for China alone will cost over $250 pp. i guess my good deal aint so good after all

Don

We are booked on the 3/17/11 Azamara Quest to China and S. Korea Is any body up on the Visa Requirements. I contacted Azamara but not heard back yet I found a web site called CDC and if I read it correctly the Visa's for China alone will cost over $250 pp. i guess my good deal aint so good after all

Don

Visa fees for US citizens-non expedited-$140 for either single or double entry. Then you MAY have to pay a fee to a visa processor.

There is a Chinese consulate in NYC. You can do it yourself and save the visa processor's fee. You need passport pictures, the filled out visa application. READ the fine print-some offices ONLY work by appointment, some are only open certain hours, some only accept cash, some WON'T TAKE CASH. http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsqz/

We are going to China next year on Viking River Cruises. We were provided an application from our Travel Agent for a company called Generations VISA Service. Their total cost for one VISA is $191 and for 2 is $365.

Fee includes service fee, consular fee and return shipping.

If you are interested their telephone number is: 1-800-845-8968. They are in Washington DC.

• 2 weeks later...

(We are in BC, Canada but are US citizens). Yes, you will need a visa. Yes, China is one of the more expensive countries to visit from a visa entry perspective. You can do the process yourself in NY. You will need to show that your cruise is book & paid and that you have round-trip air tickets (if applicable, we sailed into and out of China so did not apply). Also, you cannot apply too far in advance. Our cruise was close to the Olympics so different rules applied. You can google "chinese visa" and find good, current information.

Whatever other countries your cruise will go to, the visas will be taken care of on board and charged to your account. We went to Russia, S. Korea, Japan, Vietnam, and Thailand on Princess. We only had to pay for Vietnam and that was only $10. We did have to fill out a LOT of paperwork. Japan requires all paperwork at each port, not just once for the country.

Not sure why but they are much cheaper for Canadian citizens. We just got ours at the local consulate.

single entry $50

double entry $75 (the one we got)

multiple entry $100 (issued for business only)

It would have cost us an extra $25 per person to use a visa service but it was 3 blocks from the consulate. All the forms were online and you need one passport type photo. Whole thing took less than an hour. Dropped everything off. Went and had lunch then picked it up. All very painless and efficient!

Visa fees for US citizens-non expedited-$140 for either single or double entry. Then you MAY have to pay a fee to a visa processor.

There is a Chinese consulate in NYC. You can do it yourself and save the visa processor's fee. You need passport pictures, the filled out visa application. READ the fine print-some offices ONLY work by appointment, some are only open certain hours, some only accept cash, some WON'T TAKE CASH. http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsqz/

I have contacted HAL to find out if we each need to get visas for China, Vietnam and Japan but have had no reply from them. It is difficult in Australia to get info. On a previous cruise to Vietnam we did not have to get our own visas but we did in India. Any correct info?

Boondy

You will need a visa. I have used Washington Visa and Passport Service for years, they are wonderful. The cruise line will generally take care of the smaller visas and bill them to your room. Get the multi entry, the cost is the same, just to be on the safe side.

Not sure why but they are much cheaper for Canadian citizens. We just got ours at the local consulate.

single entry $50

double entry $75 (the one we got)

multiple entry $100 (issued for business only)

It would have cost us an extra $25 per person to use a visa service but it was 3 blocks from the consulate. All the forms were online and you need one passport type photo. Whole thing took less than an hour. Dropped everything off. Went and had lunch then picked it up. All very painless and efficient!

I was told that about four years ago the United States raised it's visa fees for Chinese citizens so China raised the visa fees for US citizens...That is why the the visa is cheaper for Canadians (or anyone else for that matter)...for what its worth

Archived