Sapphire Princess - July 18, 2010

Denali2003

Hello. We are on the Sapphire Princess round trip out of Seattle. Our ship leaves July 18th.

I've been reading about the weather, sea conditions, packing, etc. I saw where some people have posted it could be in the 70s & 80s in July. The weather in Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway are currently between 57 - 62 degrees F. Can it really get 20 degrees warmer in the next 3 weeks?

For packing - I plan on packing long sleeve shirts (can roll up if it gets warm), a zip up hoodie, rain ponchos. I always wear long pants - so that won't bother me if it's warm (heck, it's 98 degrees here now and I wear jeans, socks & sneakers). I also plan on packing a few short sleeve shirts.

We cruised the Inside Passage in August 2003. It was going into their Fall Season. We packed all kinds of things. One day we were wearing short sleeve - next day a sweatshirt and heavy jacket. It is quite COLD in Glacier Bay & College Fjord (both of which are VERY beautiful!). Ketchikan was in the 60s and misty rain. Juneau - well we went whale watching & helicopter glacier tour - so we were cold that day. In town, it was cloudy, in the low 60s and misty rain. Skagway - again low 60s and misty rain. We didn't mind - it's all part of the experience.

With the weather here (TN) being between 92-101, I am looking forward to the cooler weather :D

We are planning on staying in Seattle the night before - July 17th. We are going to the Space Needle. Has anyone been there before?

Is anyone else here on the Sapphire Princess RT out of Seattle - for July 18th?

Its the weather, as a generalization it gets warmer but for any given day or week it can vary wildly. How accurate is your weather man for weather 10 to 20 days out? Its the average tempature, by definition you can expect it to be 1/2 the time warmer and half the time colder.

Good luck.

My husband & I were on the Sapphire the end of May. Had showers on & off with cool temps in Ketchikan, cold morning in Tracy Arm, pleasant & clear in Juneau, & 80 degrees in Skagway. Plan for everything.

I hope you enjoy the Sapphire. We were on the same trip 5 years ago when the ship was exactly 1 year old. It's beautiful! We were there in mid June.

Ketchikan: Rained until about 9 AM, then just damp. Temp low 60's

Juneau: Clear day. Temp low 70's

Skagway: Beautiful weather. Was actually 80 there

Victoria BC: Nice weather, but cool. Temp was mid 70's

We are going up there a month later this time, so we're hoping for weather about the same!

When I called to Juneau this afternoon to reserve a rental car, I asked the lady how their weather was. She said it was mid 60's there at the moment. I chuckled when she said that they complain when the weather hit's 70 and higher!

Temps in the 60s & 70s sounds wonderful!!!

The weather here is mid to upper 90s with a slight chance of rain every day. Just pop up showers for about 10-30 minutes, then the sun comes out. That has been our weather here for the past 30 days. Has not changed. So I welcome going to cooler weather :D

Other than the nice rain shower yesterday, it's been mostly 98-101 here lately. The water in the pool alone is 90! I'm looking forward to some cooler weather, but I'd prefer it not be below 60. I'm packing a zipper hoodie sweatshirt and a light lined rainproof jacket to wear over it if necessary. Hopefully that will keep me warm enough.

I've been reading about the weather, sea conditions, packing, etc. I saw where some people have posted it could be in the 70s & 80s in July.

I have experienced temps in the mid to high 70's in the mid-July to mid-Aug period....but that is no guarantee of what it will be like this year.

We will be sailing on the same ship on July 18 as well. Six of us; me, husband, young teen son, my mom, sister and her husband. Looking forward to this cruise as it will be the first for son, as well as sister & husband.

We had beautiful weather in May when we went in 1995 so we are hoping for the same with cool temperatures.

Happy sailing! :D

When DH & I went in August 2003, the weather was pleasant. A little misty rain but nothing bad. In Glacier Bay & College Fjord the weather was BEAUTIFUL!!! Cold, but beautiful. No rain, glacier blue sky and plenty of sun. Our pictures look photo shopped, but their not - it's just really that blue and beautiful.

Lilacbirman -- we are bringing our 2 teenage daughters (15 & 17). We hope they like Alaska as much as we do. The temp will be perfect for the 15 yr old - she likes cooler weather. Even here when it's 40 degrees out, she will still be in a short sleeve shirt with a hoodie. The 17 yr old - will still wear long sleeve when it's 80 out. So she will be cold. I will be fine. I like cooler weather! :)

Hello. We are on the Sapphire Princess round trip out of Seattle. Our ship leaves July 18th.

I've been reading about the weather, sea conditions, packing, etc. I saw where some people have posted it could be in the 70s & 80s in July. The weather in Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway are currently between 57 - 62 degrees F. Can it really get 20 degrees warmer in the next 3 weeks?

For packing - I plan on packing long sleeve shirts (can roll up if it gets warm), a zip up hoodie, rain ponchos. I always wear long pants - so that won't bother me if it's warm (heck, it's 98 degrees here now and I wear jeans, socks & sneakers). I also plan on packing a few short sleeve shirts.

We cruised the Inside Passage in August 2003. It was going into their Fall Season. We packed all kinds of things. One day we were wearing short sleeve - next day a sweatshirt and heavy jacket. It is quite COLD in Glacier Bay & College Fjord (both of which are VERY beautiful!). Ketchikan was in the 60s and misty rain. Juneau - well we went whale watching & helicopter glacier tour - so we were cold that day. In town, it was cloudy, in the low 60s and misty rain. Skagway - again low 60s and misty rain. We didn't mind - it's all part of the experience.

With the weather here (TN) being between 92-101, I am looking forward to the cooler weather :D

We are planning on staying in Seattle the night before - July 17th. We are going to the Space Needle. Has anyone been there before?

Is anyone else here on the Sapphire Princess RT out of Seattle - for July 18th?

We will also be on the Sapphire on July 18th and we have the same packing dilemma. Are you packing gloves and a hat? What are you planning on wearing around the ship on sea days? It is 95 degrees here in South Florida and I am really hoping for some cooler weather any way I can get it.

I am planning on layering as much as possible as most of the excursions are a few hours long, I imagine temps can change.

What would you wear on the heli/glacier tour?

We normally travel in the Caribbean-- so the trip to Alaska is way out of our experience.

thanks all, can't wait till our cruise!

We will also be on the Sapphire on July 18th and we have the same packing dilemma. Are you packing gloves and a hat? we're not packing hats & gloves. What are you planning on wearing around the ship on sea days? I plan on wearing either a long or short sleeve shirt. It depends on the temp inside the ship. It is 95 degrees here in South Florida and I am really hoping for some cooler weather any way I can get it.

I am planning on layering as much as possible as most of the excursions are a few hours long, I imagine temps can change. That is a good idea.

What would you wear on the heli/glacier tour? You will need a sweater and jacket. It's quite cold on the glacier. You are going to LOVE that excursion. It's breath taking. We have one picture from the tour that looks like we're in Heaven. If you are landing on the glacier - and if there's a stream - we highly recommend trying the water. You CAN drink it. It's very cold and very pure.

We normally travel in the Caribbean-- so the trip to Alaska is way out of our experience. You're going to love Alaska. It's very scenic. Do you have a balcony cabin?

We will be packing a little of everything. Short sleeve, long sleeve, a couple of sweaters, a zip up hoodie, and rain ponchos. Closed toe shoes are a MUST. Sandals should be ok on the ship - since it's warm inside.

As far as what to wear on the ship. You can start out with one outfit and be changing a couple of hours later - it depends on your body temp and the temp of the ship. When we went in August of 2003 I wore long sleeve on the ship. Only because you will/can be walking both inside & outside.

Or you can wear a short sleeve and a button down sweater. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

We will also be on the Sapphire on July 18th and we have the same packing dilemma. Are you packing gloves and a hat? What are you planning on wearing around the ship on sea days? It is 95 degrees here in South Florida and I am really hoping for some cooler weather any way I can get it.

I am planning on layering as much as possible as most of the excursions are a few hours long, I imagine temps can change.

What would you wear on the heli/glacier tour?

We normally travel in the Caribbean-- so the trip to Alaska is way out of our experience.

:) My two cents...no long sleeves for us even though I get chilled easily but I will definitely be layering. For daytime all short sleeve tops, a sweatshirt, sweater, scarf/shawl, and a water/wind resistant jacket. Two pair walking shoes in case one gets wet.

My elderly mom has no closed toe shoes (and refuses to buy them since she won't wear them otherwise) so she is wearing sandals just as she did on her last Alaska cruise two years ago. :D

Even on our Alaska cruise in May 1995 we did not wear hats or gloves but did bring a winter jacket and long sleeve tops. Most of the cruise was sunny and in the high 60s so it wasn't bad at all.

Thank you all! We have a balcony cabin toward the AFT and I imagine it may (I hope) get cold.. thinking hot chocolate. I am still bringing gloves and a hat--- but now I will include more short-sleeve shirts. Thank you for the suggestions!

We've been to the Space Needle several times over the years. The elevator ride up is a blast and the view from the top is stunning. One thing you might consider is having lunch (it would be brunch on Saturday) or dinner at the restaurant there. The $18 cost of the ride to the Observation Deck is waived if you have a restaurant reservation. The restaurant is just below the Observation Deck so the view is almost identical. The restaurant makes a 360 degree rotation every 50 minutes or so. You can relax and have a nice meal while enjoying a leisurely view of Seattle and the surrounding area. Plus the observation deck is frequently crowded and almost always quite windy.

The brunch is expensive at $45 but if you subtract the $18 you would spend on just the ride it becomes a much more affordable $27. We haven't had the brunch but the menu looks wonderful.

It might be an option worth considering. :)

Have a lovely trip!

We did a North bound out of Vancouver the same time last year on the Diamond, what a great ship.

Temps - well, I had to dig the fleece out of our bags in the car when leaving IA, it was in the mid 40's. Vancouver, we were hot, it was in the 80's. Drizzle and cool most of the trip.

Ketchican, they say, if it is not raining, it will. They have a rain festival, runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31 - it will rain.

Be prepared, fleece and rain gear with an umbrella. Especially in Glacier Bay, around all that ice it gets very cool.

Ketchican, they say, if it is not raining, it will. They have a rain festival, runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31 - it will rain.

Be prepared, fleece and rain gear with an umbrella. Especially in Glacier Bay, around all that ice it gets very cool.

LOL about Ketchikan! We were very lucky because we had gorgeous weather and ended up carrying our jackets the whole day. :)

Archived