Balcony/vs/Outside Cabin on Serenade?

Hi guys. I was wondering your opinion on choosing between a Balcony or Outside cabin on Serenade of the Seas. Besides the obvious reason (you can sit outside on a Balcony), do you think it's really THAT much of a difference in experience between one or the other?

I've been in an inside cabin and then also a balcony, but never a window cabin- I always thought the windows were just little portholes but I was looking at the generic picture on the RCI booking pages and it looks like a regular-sized window that you can open and everything. While it was super nice to be able to eat breakfast out on the balcony, we only did that twice and then maybe stood out there a few other times during the week for a few minutes- but besides that, I'd think the view would be almost the same.

What are your preferences for this sort of thing? I also wonder if this question isn't coming up now for me because I was looking at a certain December sailing where there was only about $50 difference in price between a window and balcony room, but if I recall correctly, usually there's a larger gap in price between the two cabin levels- so in that case I'd definitely go with a window. But when the prices are so close, I'm really wondering what the benefit is when that $50 can pay for an excursion, you know?

I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Thanks. :o

I don't think you can open the windows in any room on a ship so I wouldn't count on that.

For me it's a balcony always. I like to sit out there every morning for coffee before I'm ready to go out in public. I like to be out there when we come into or leave each port. I like being able to breathe fresh air whenever I want. It's always worth the extra money for me.

I guess only you can decide what's best for you. But for $50 I would definitely go with the balcony.

Everything depends on your budget. We've had inside, outside, Promenade, and balcony cabins. Our decision always depends on our budget for any given trip. That said, I've never taken a cruise where the difference between an OV and a balcony was only $50. For me, that would be a no-brainer. Go with the balcony....;)

No windows ever open on a ship...only DOORS open!

The window in an OV is simply to let in natural light...it certainly won't give you the view you'd get on a balcony or outside deck. You can look out of it, but it's not even close to a "great" view!

Do the balcony! You will not be disappointed. Just imagine sitting outside in the morning on your private balcony sipping coffee (or your favorite beverage) and taking in the wonderful fresh ocean air, seeing the sun come up (if you are an early riser) and just relaxing before you begin your day. Then at night, you can go out and listen to the calming ocean waves before it's time to go to sleep. I have been known to fall asleep on the balcony chairs before retiring for the evening. So refreshing and lovely and calming at the same time.... Ahhhhhhh....

As KeyWestK says, it really depends on your budget.

I've never booked a balcony because I just can't justify the expense. I'm sure I'd LOVE it, but the Serenade is a very port-intensive cruise and therefore you have very little time to lounge on your balcony.

People talk about how nice it is to sit outside on the balcony and sip their morning coffee while the ship is docking at port. Serenade has outside seating at the Windjammer. We enjoyed sitting outside there, sipping our morning coffee, watching the ship dock at each port.

If the price was the same, I'd probably go with a balcony. But I can always find other things I'd rather spend that money on.

Now, between an inside versus an OV cabin, I go for the window. That cost difference is usually small enough for me to justify. I love waking up in the morning and being able to look out at the ocean without even setting a foot out of the bed. What a way to start the day!!

On Serenade, you probably want to spend the $10 to upgrade from Deck 2 to Deck 3. (Or go higher if you prefer, but I usually book a low-deck cabin for the best price.) They have portholes in the deck 2 cabins, full-sized windows on deck 3.

ENJOY!! You'll LOVE the Serenade!!!

Archived