Just back -Rotterdam Alaska

chefchick

Quick review here. This is our 7th cruise, though first with HAL. we are in our 40s and our son is 15.

Embarkation was easy. We arrived after 1:30 so our room was ready but the Lido was still a zoo. We only ate here a few times and the food was really hit or miss.

Our room was an interior and I liked all the storage and the new linens. The bed was not as comfortable as our last Celebrity cruise, but I was expecting more as the HAL beds are so well reviewed.

I wished there was more activities during the day as we were bored quite often on sea days. All of the activities were scheduled at the same time and because of the cool weather, laying out by the pool was not really an option.

Food: okay, I love cruising because I get break from cooking and cleaning. I realize that all cruise lines have slipped in quality when it comes to food, but we were REALLY disappointed in regards to the MDR food. I can't really remember any dish that stands out (other than our dinner in the Pinnacle) and many that were frankly, inedible. I know I could have asked for something else, but after you wait for 45. Minutes for a breakfast entree, you really don't want to gave to wait longer. And the desserts were the worst I have ever had cruising. For example, yesterday I ordered rice pudding for dessert at lunch. What came to the table was a shallow ramekin of dry cooked rice that had been tossed with cinnamon sugar and raisins and placed under the broiler. I am not exaggerating, there was no "pudding" consistency to it at all. I was tempted to call over the dining room manager because I can't imagine that something that wrong was allowed to leave the kitchen, but frankly I got the impression all week long that no one cared. I heard this again and again from other passengers including a group of travel agents we sat with at breakfast one morning. I had read how much you all enjoyed the food on HAL but that wasn't our experience on this cruise.

Service: Im sorry to say we had problems here as well, since once again I had read on CC how the crew is what really sets HAL apart. Our cabin Stewart was good and we got lucky with a dining room waiter at dinner who was really on the ball, but everyone else we spoke to complained that theirs was horrible.

It wasn't that anyone we encountered was unprofessional, they just weren't as warm as we have experienced on other lines like Celebrity or Princess.

Overall, I think you can tell, this was not our favorite cruise. Alaska was beautiful and we really enjoyed our excursions with Harv & Marv in juneau and Island Wings in ketchikan. (thank you to the Alaska boards for all the tips. These excursions were great)

Would we cruise HAL again? probably not, but I honestly think there is no such thing as a BAD cruise, just some are more memorable than others.

If you have questions, I would be happy to answer them if I can.

I'm sorry that your Rotterdam experience was so disappointing.

Might I suggest though, that before you give up on HAL altogether, try another newer/bigger ship, which should have more to do. You might be happier on one of them instead.

Joanie

Sorry you didn't like your HAL cruise; that's why there are so many lines going to Alaska...............you have a choice............;)

Most of us on here love HAL and feel badly that you didn't have a good experience.

IMO there are fewer activities on an Alaksa cruise because most people choose to be OUT and ABOUT enjoying the scenery............I know we have a difficult time going to bed because we just don't want to miss anything. Often I hate to go in for dinner!

Off again on July 26 for 14 more days in Alaska on the Amsterdam and really looking forward to it.

We just got back from an Alaska cruise on the Rotterdam several weeks ago. We did prefer the Lido or room service for breakfast, but for the lunches and dinners, the MDR was a hands down favorite. We had no problems with any of the food at all and if anything it was sheerly amazing. We are semi-foodie folk so we are a bit picky but we had no complaints about any of it. It was much better in the MDR than the Lido. About the only complaint we had was a melted baked Alaska, but some of the folks at our table took a long time that evening so I suspect it wasn't quite the kitchen's fault.

When I was looking for our usual host in the MDR to give him his tip envelope at the end of the cruise, they did mention he had been transferred to the Lido crew. I don't know if they shifted the entire MDR crew or just him, I didn't ask. If there had been a large crew shift from one area to another, it might take them awhile to all get accustomed to their new areas. I'm suspecting there's some sort of reason, it wouldn't make sense for it to go from really good to inedible with a week or two unless something had changed.

We didn't attend any of the evenings shows but I did hear that most folks enjoyed them, particularly the comedian. We had late seating and were out after 10:00 so would have been late. We did sit in at the piano bar one night and he was enjoyable. We did really like the string quartet that played in the MDR at dinner, it was a lovely touch.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Archived