Provision of shuttle buses at ports

Joecors

Amongst the "increased benefits" highlighted by Az. earlier this year was the provision of free shuttle buses. While going through the list of organised day tours for a cruise that we're taking on the Quest in Sept. 2010 we looked for information as to at which ports shuttle buses(free or otherwise) would be provided. This would help in deciding whether to take an organised tour or "do-our-own-thing". I have e-mailed Az. to ask if it

has considered identifying on the site those ports-of-call where shuttles will be provided.Any information as to whether somewhere this is already available would be greatly appreciated.

Amongst the "increased benefits" highlighted by Az. earlier this year was the provision of free shuttle buses. While going through the list of organised day tours for a cruise that we're taking on the Quest in Sept. 2010 we looked for information as to at which ports shuttle buses(free or otherwise) would be provided. This would help in deciding whether to take an organised tour or "do-our-own-thing". I have e-mailed Az. to ask if it

has considered identifying on the site those ports-of-call where shuttles will be provided.Any information as to whether somewhere this is already available would be greatly appreciated.

Are you on my cruise 9/20?

I posted on the roll call which ports supposedly have shuttles....I called Azamara and asked. They are Venice, Corfu, Valletta and Sorrento. Hopefully this helps. Of course, they said this is *subject to change!

I was on the Journey last fall in both Sorrento and Valetta. Both ports do not need a shuttle. In Sorrento the tender lets you off in the area where you catch the ferry to Capri. There is a little gas train to take you up the hill or a public bus. In Valetta we docked right below the wall. If the bus takes you to town it will save a long up hill walk.

On the June 6th Baltic Cruise out of Copenhagen, shuttles were provided in 3 cities. Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallinn. I don't think it would have been possible to provide one for Saint Petersburg due to passport rules, or to Berlin due to the distance from the port.

Thank you Kathy/Peter for the advice on the ports which Az. have indicated will be serviced by shuttle buses. We are on the Quest on the 20th Sept, and have enrolled on the Roll Call, but must have overlooked your particular e-mail.

Thanks too for the other e-mails giving advice.

Four out of nine ports of call(excluding Civitavecchio) involved in the cruise means that Az. are not (please excuse the pun) going overboard in respect of shuttle buses; especially when you consider that free wine with meals and free shuttle buses were actively offered by Az. as a “trade-in” for increases in fares in Dec.2009.

We like to have a mixture of organised tours and “doing our own thing”. Of particular interest to us was Taormina. We visited the port last year. We were tendered in and immediately joined a coach for a visit to Mt. Etna; a well worth while interesting trip. Not too much was going on in the area where the tender docked and the town of Taormina was away up in the hills i.e not for me, at any rate' within walking distance. This time we had considered “doing our own thing” .As a port of call, it would have been an ideal site to provide a shuttle bus. Az. obviously thought otherwise. Of course , if no taxies are available we could choose to book “Beautiful Taormina”, an organised tour that coaches you up to the town and then conducts you on a walking tour; cost £44-25 each.

So no shuttles to Taormina but shuttles to Sorrento town (which is a mile up an admittedly steep slope) where busus run every 5 minutes. Seems that Az. have their own priorities and maybe it is to Az. advantage that shuttles at some ports are limited.

I have read on other threads that Taormina is a port where a shuttle bus in included (the May Best of Italy cruise in a post by What a Market, for example). On our cruise last Sept. Azamara provided bus transportation in to Taormina and they charged for the service. It makes sense that this port would be one where the shuttle was free.

I have read on other threads that Taormina is a port where a shuttle bus in included (the May Best of Italy cruise in a post by What a Market, for example). On our cruise last Sept. Azamara provided bus transportation in to Taormina and they charged for the service. It makes sense that this port would be one where the shuttle was free.

Hello Joecors and Crzrr....

I was surprised that Taormina was not one of the ports where a shuttle bus was included because I do remember others mentioning on here that had visited that port and that they used Azamara's shuttle.

I decided to call just to see what the answer would be. I wonder if some one else calls, if they will get a different answer? It was clear when I called that they didn't have the information at the tip of their fingers....they had to put me on hold and look the information up somewhere.

I think we may be surprised and we may find more shuttles being offered than we think, but I agree, it would certainly be nice if we knew that ahead such as it being posted on their web site.

...following is a copy of e-mail that I received from Az.:-

A listing of which ports of call will be offering complimentary shuttle bus

will be provided once onboard the ship. If there are select

tours you are wanting to go on, it is our suggestion you purchase the tours in advance to secure the space. The tours can be

cancelled/refunded onboard the ship with if done outside of 24 hours

before the tours begin.

Thanks for the advice and interest shown. The vagueness shown might be intentional but maybe I'll try to have it resolved for future cruises when I'm on board

We were on the Quest Best of Italy tour in May. There was a free shuttle from the tender pier to Taormina. We got off the Etna tour bus and right on to the Taorimina shuttle. The town is beautiful; dont miss it!

jt

We were on the Quest Best of Italy tour in May. There was a free shuttle from the tender pier to Taormina. We got off the Etna tour bus and right on to the Taorimina shuttle. The town is beautiful; dont miss it!

jt

Do you recall what other ports you had shuttles in?

Just didn't seem right to me that we wouldn't have the shuttle in Taormina....:confused:

Thanks!

Here's a recap (as I remember it) of the shuttle availability on the May Best of Italy cruise on the Quest:

Sorrento: Because of bad weather we docked in Naples. No shuttle needed.

Taormina: Free shuttle

Ravenna: Free shuttle

Trieste: No shuttle needed

Venice: No shuttle needed

Dobrovnik: Free shuttle

Florence: The ship docked in Livorno. No free shuttle to Florence, but there was one into Livorno

From the various replies, we surmise that Azamra is pretty good at providing shuttles. (I hope this will still hold true for the Icelandic voyage in August, 2011). Our general impression from these discussions is that Azamara shuttle service is like Silversea (very good indeed), and much better than Oceania (few ports with shuttle service for our Western and Eastern Mediterranean voyages in 2004 and 2008 respectively). We don't know if Oceania has improved its shuttle service by now.

From the various replies, we surmise that Azamra is pretty good at providing shuttles. (I hope this will still hold true for the Icelandic voyage in August, 2011). Our general impression from these discussions is that Azamara shuttle service is like Silversea (very good indeed), and much better than Oceania (few ports with shuttle service for our Western and Eastern Mediterranean voyages in 2004 and 2008 respectively). We don't know if Oceania has improved its shuttle service by now.

My only concern is that I agree with Joecors, it would be nice to have this information ahead of time and with some consistency, so we could make informed decisions about shore excursions - whether to plan something special or just take the shuttle in to town and walk around.

On our Oct. '09 Journey cruise, we purchased shuttle tickets for our party of 4 to Taormina (yes, gorgeous town, don't miss it!) and the return shuttle turned out to be a bus to Messina. The ship had to sail north due to winds, picking up everyone there before sailing on. Cost of shuttle tickets were quickly credited back, with apologies from the staff. I love Azamara.

• 2 years later...

Archived