Cruise Director Oasis

Does any one know if Richard Spacey is the Cruise Director on the Oasis ?

We will be on the Oasis in Oct, and just enjoyed him on the Freedom in 2008.

His first week on Oasis was June 12-19. I am not sure how long he'll be on that ship.

I've never cruised, and am fascinated by the people who either avoid or seek out certain cruise directors.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this Richard Spacey guy? I have a hard time imagining that on a cruise with 6000 people the cruise director could really be that significant in our lives on the ship. I'm anxious to see what this is all about :)

If you attend many of the Cruise Director and Cruise Staff events (dance parties, competitions, game shows, etc), a good CD can make a big difference. It doesn't really make a big difference to our family, because, while we enjoy those events, they aren't the highlight of our cruise experience.

I only watched the first minute of that video posted above, but I can tell you, Richard Spacey was lots of fun when he stripped down to his Indian garb for the YMCA segment at the 70s dance party. He also played a fun Austin Powers.

I have a hard time imagining that on a cruise with 6000 people the cruise director could really be that significant in our lives on the ship.

I felt exactly the same but, I have to tell you, Richard Spacey was really good. Smart, energetic, funny, etc. I spoke with several staff members about Richard versus Ken Rush and others. All agreed, Richard was the best in the company.

My wife would concur with the comments above about Richard in to 70's dance party costumes. Also, I have a video of him doing a silly bit at the end of the Aquatheater show. When he appears in his diving suit (unitard thingy), my wife was hooting and hollering so loud on the video, you can't hear Richard speaking.

Richard Spacey is the CD that you either love or hate. My son can not stand him, my wife and I love hin. Think of Jerry Lewis as a CD. We have been on cruises where we never saw the CD, just heard her voice over the loudspeakers, very boring. A CD job is to try to make you a great time on the cruise.

When we were on the Oasis the week of the 5th of June, Ken Rush was CD. He told us that Richard Spacey would be coming back as CD the next week along with Ken and then Ken would be taking some time off and then going to Allure and will be the CD on Allure. He mentioned another CD (Cannot remember his name) that would be tihe fill in for Richard and Ken during any time off that they will have. So Richard will be Oasis and Ken will be Allure.

Barb

I felt exactly the same but, I have to tell you, Richard Spacey was really good. Smart, energetic, funny, etc. I spoke with several staff members about Richard versus Ken Rush and others. All agreed, Richard was the best in the company.

I'll take Ken any day - he's energetic, personable and hilarious! He's typically part of the inaugural/rollout crew for any new ship, and I think it's because he such a great representative for the brand/company.

Yes, Richard is great. He just got on, so he will be on for a while.

I do believe Allan Brooks (currently Freedom CD) got the assignment for Allure as soon as Ken is finished taking her out.

We had Becky as our CD on the Freedom the first time we sailed and she was awesome. Ken was the second one and, well, he was ayyyight :cool:

Does any one know if Richard Spacey is the Cruise Director on the Oasis ?

We will be on the Oasis in Oct, and just enjoyed him on the Freedom in 2008.

I saw Richard Spacey on Freedom also, I absolutely loved him, he was the best cruise director we have ever had. I would love it if he was the cruise director on Oasis, we will be on Oasis on9-11, can't wait. Pat :):):)

I do believe Allan Brooks (currently Freedom CD) got the assignment for Allure as soon as Ken is finished taking her out.

, After reading your post, having Richard the cruise director for Oasis makes the cruise even better. Absolutely loved him on Freedom, hope you are right and he is on Oasis, going on 9-11, Pat :D:D:D

I hope you are right about Richard Spacey being the cruise director for Oasis, I loved having him for a CD. Will be on Oasis on 9-11, so he will make the cruise even better. :D:D:D

We have been very fortunate to have awesome CD's, and actually, we have had the same CD more than once. That being said, and while I loved them all, Richard is my favorite!! :D He has such energy, is super friendly and loads of fun. It's all personal but he is my fave.

I've never cruised, and am fascinated by the people who either avoid or seek out certain cruise directors.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this Richard Spacey guy? I have a hard time imagining that on a cruise with 6000 people the cruise director could really be that significant in our lives on the ship. I'm anxious to see what this is all about :)

We sailed on the Freedom of the Seas last July. Richard Spacey MADE the cruise the best of the previous 9 we had been on! We sailed this past January on a ship that I can't remember (RCCL). The cruise director was so poor I don't remember much about it. Mr. Spacey is genuinely funny, friendly, engaging, charming and absolutely wonderful. I hope we have him on our Oasis cruise the 14th of August.

We sailed on the Freedom of the Seas last July. Richard Spacey MADE the cruise the best of the previous 9 we had been on! We sailed this past January on a ship that I can't remember (RCCL). The cruise director was so poor I don't remember much about it. Mr. Spacey is genuinely funny, friendly, engaging, charming and absolutely wonderful. I hope we have him on our Oasis cruise the 14th of August.

Hello Don P,

We are also go on the August 14th cruise. Amazing but true we were on the Freedom last July also with Richard Spacey.

Meet us at the meet and mingle and the Sailaway party at the Sky Bar on Saturday. look for my red hat.

I was on Oasis the week of June 26th. I thought Richard Spacey was very good but I also can see where he can wear thin. As much as I enjoyed him, I have to say that I enjoyed Alan Brooks on the Liberty of the Seas last year even more. (My teenage daughter absolutely LOVED Alan and said Richard didn't come close). Alan was slightly less...shall we say, "manic"? than Richard but just as entertaining and funny. Please understand that I have no complaints about Richard and he did make me laugh often!

Archived