Has Cunard really gone downhill?

Whitemarsh

Seriously I would never just classsify someone as a moaner because they utter dissatisfaction. But I am sure like many people you have encountered the professional moaner. Believe me they can ruin a cruise for not just the staff but also their fellow passengers.

Nope, sorry. I've never encountered a professional moaner on a Cunard ship. Guess I'm just lucky because we usually book a table for 6. Met some very nice folks, some of whom I remain in contact with. In truth, I don't recall anyone making even the slightest complaint. Oh wait, I take that back: one night 3 of us had ordered the same dessert and thought it tasted like shaving creme after the first bite. We made a few jokes about it and ordered a different dessert.

Parenthetically, that is not to imply that things always go as well. As is bound to happen, once we were seated with a couple who were very strident in their ultra-conservative political views, which they inserted in any topic of conversation. Happily, they were seated at our table on the last night of the cruise, so it was a very short meal.

BTW, I wouldn't permit anyone to ruin a cruise for me---not at those prices! :D

Nope, sorry. I've never encountered a professional moaner on a Cunard ship.:D

Sorry,must differ here. Just because it's a vaunted Cunard ship does not mean it doesn't permit moaners, whiners, whingers or whatever you want to call them. They pay the fare same as the rest of us and they get to go.

I had one lady I met at the CC gathering..she had unfortunately ( for me) read my "Affair" review and expected the same for her trip. I could not avoid this woman wherever I went onboard and she tracked me down daily to tell me how horrible the trip was so far. The first night the rib roast which had been excellent for 4 of us was, in her description, no better than road kill. By the third night she was on her 3rd table each of which had been unacceptable...bad seat mates and horrible service. The shows weren't as good as Carnival, the people were snobs, the staff were aloof and unhelpful and on and on. I have never in 6 trips run into the same passenger as many times as I saw her and every time was a litany of complaints.

Cunard is not exempt from moaners......and for me, on that one trip, the ship just wasn't big enough!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Yikes Patwell, that does sound like the cruise from hell. Have you encountered many other moaners, or just the "Road Kill Critic"?

As I said, I attribute it to pure luck that I not encountered chronic complainers ---yet---on a Cunard ship (that's the only line I've sailed with). No doubt the same personality types we encounter on dry land are on the high seas.

This thread has got me worried...maybe my luck won't hold out and I should change by table for 6 to a table for two?

Regards,

Salacia

Sorry,must differ here. Just because it's a vaunted Cunard ship does not mean it doesn't permit moaners, whiners, whingers or whatever you want to call them. They pay the fare same as the rest of us and they get to go.

I had one lady I met at the CC gathering..she had unfortunately ( for me) read my "Affair" review and expected the same for her trip. I could not avoid this woman wherever I went onboard and she tracked me down daily to tell me how horrible the trip was so far. The first night the rib roast which had been excellent for 4 of us was, in her description, no better than road kill. By the third night she was on her 3rd table each of which had been unacceptable...bad seat mates and horrible service. The shows weren't as good as Carnival, the people were snobs, the staff were aloof and unhelpful and on and on. I have never in 6 trips run into the same passenger as many times as I saw her and every time was a litany of complaints.

Cunard is not exempt from moaners......and for me, on that one trip, the ship just wasn't big enough!

Cheers, Penny

I think the table issue says it all :eek: I once had a conversation with a rather 'difficult' lady who had been on an excursion with 19 other passengers, all of whom she claimed were awful, rude, boring etc. I said to her 'Well, the chances of all 19 being like that are astronomical - it is far more likely that there was just one' - she didn't get it :D

There is a big difference between justified complaints and the 'nit-pickers'. Personally, I still believe that Cunard offers an excellent product, possibly because I just like to get on with it - as long as they do what they say on the tin I'm happy.

I emailed Cunard a few days ago with some concerns I had after reading some adverse comments...here's their reply (they didn't even spell my name correctly!)

"Thank you for your email.

Comments made on cruise forums are very subjective and not something we are able to comment on however, I can appreciate your concern having read adverse views. I can assure you that we continue to work hard to meet and in may areas exceed guests expectations. We are, however, aware that we face increasing competition from other cruise companies and whilst costs are monitored, it is not our intention to reduce levels of service in any way. Indeed, we believe that the service we offer aboard still set us apart from many of our competitors.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you and your party on-board Queen Mary 2 in September."

I think you'd best consider a table for one.

Ahhh, sage advice.;) We make sure to travel with friends so we know exactly who or what we get for table mates. Takes the worry out of getting overly loquacious types, moaners and the like. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

as long as they do what they say on the tin I'm happy.

Words to live by MadScientist....I couldn't agree more.

Cheers, Penny

I emailed Cunard a few days ago with some concerns I had after reading some adverse comments...here's their reply (they didn't even spell my name correctly!)

"Thank you for your email.

Comments made on cruise forums are very subjective and not something we are able to comment on however, I can appreciate your concern having read adverse views. I can assure you that we continue to work hard to meet and in may areas exceed guests expectations. We are, however, aware that we face increasing competition from other cruise companies and whilst costs are monitored, it is not our intention to reduce levels of service in any way. Indeed, we believe that the service we offer aboard still set us apart from many of our competitors.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you and your party on-board Queen Mary 2 in September."

Well then, THAT makes me feel a whole lot better about my upcoming trip...:rolleyes: Must have been reading that pesky PR stuff again....

Cheers, Penny

I recently returned from the July 4th weekend QM2 cruise after a five year absence. The ship is, I think by anyones standard - beautiful; however food was medicore in Britannia and serice was very "indifferent". I have made 170+ cruises on everything from Celebration to Regent and "think" I have a understanding of the industry. Room steward was excellent, room - a C2- was more than adequate however single rate of $500 per day was much more than comparable ships/lines. Britannia was another story. Food was roughly equivalent to Holland America, and better than RCI, service for dinner was very poor until I sent a letter to F&B Manager. Was visited by Asst Maitre D' that evening whom I told of my concerns. He talked to wait team immediately and things sure improved in a hurry. Perhaps a new team? I don't know. Maybe I just didn't have their attention, but He sure got it quick. I love the lectures etc. aboard, and after some soul searching that I would cancel a October round trip transatlantic, have decided to go. Deck Stewards seemed to be non existant, Boardwalk Cafe never operated during our two sea days. All in all trip OK, prices high, but love the ship and ambiance.

I recently returned from the July 4th weekend QM2 cruise after a five year absence. The ship is, I think by anyones standard - beautiful; however food was medicore in Britannia and serice was very "indifferent". I have made 170+ cruises on everything from Celebration to Regent and "think" I have a understanding of the industry. Room steward was excellent, room - a C2- was more than adequate however single rate of $500 per day was much more than comparable ships/lines. Britannia was another story. Food was roughly equivalent to Holland America, and better than RCI, service for dinner was very poor until I sent a letter to F&B Manager. Was visited by Asst Maitre D' that evening whom I told of my concerns. He talked to wait team immediately and things sure improved in a hurry. Perhaps a new team? I don't know. Maybe I just didn't have their attention, but He sure got it quick. I love the lectures etc. aboard, and after some soul searching that I would cancel a October round trip transatlantic, have decided to go. Deck Stewards seemed to be non existant, Boardwalk Cafe never operated during our two sea days. All in all trip OK, prices high, but love the ship and ambiance.

Padrek, my experience of the July 1 QM2 Canada cruise in 2007 and 2008 was similar to yours. I'm not quite sure why those cruises were so problematic (especially considering the high rates), but happily the longer cruises were fine. I hope you find the same on your r/t transalantic.

Regards,

Salacia

I think the table issue says it all :eek: I once had a conversation with a rather 'difficult' lady who had been on an excursion with 19 other passengers, all of whom she claimed were awful, rude, boring etc. I said to her 'Well, the chances of all 19 being like that are astronomical - it is far more likely that there was just one' - she didn't get it :D

There is a big difference between justified complaints and the 'nit-pickers'. Personally, I still believe that Cunard offers an excellent product, possibly because I just like to get on with it - as long as they do what they say on the tin I'm happy.

2 years ago on a cruise from NY this guy "pryed" open the button panel in the elevator. He wanted to see how it worked. Well an alarm went off & the doors opened on the mezzanine level. He tried to split but I grabbed him by his nose(yes, I actually did)and held him there till security came(mere seconds)his little act caused that elevator to be down the rest of the night. I had seen him being a pest earlier(disrupting the evac.drill)& knew he'd be trouble. He was probably 65-70 years old. After the elevator incident, I told him if he caused any more problems I'd make sure he didn't make port. I think I scared him a bit. Security told me he would be billed for the damages & not let on any more Cunard cruises. You get these types on all cruises, I guess.

2 years ago on a cruise from NY this guy "pryed" open the button panel in the elevator. He wanted to see how it worked. Well an alarm went off & the doors opened on the mezzanine level. He tried to split but I grabbed him by his nose(yes, I actually did)and held him there till security came(mere seconds)his little act caused that elevator to be down the rest of the night. I had seen him being a pest earlier(disrupting the evac.drill)& knew he'd be trouble. He was probably 65-70 years old. After the elevator incident, I told him if he caused any more problems I'd make sure he didn't make port. I think I scared him a bit. Security told me he would be billed for the damages & not let on any more Cunard cruises. You get these types on all cruises, I guess.

That's a bit different from being a moaner and a nitpicker :eek: He sounds to be more disturbed.

The moaning that made us laugh was our first trip in 2006 -two old ladies talking in the buffet around midnight. One was so very annoyed complaining loudly about cost cutting (in 2006 ;)) and that the cookies were now small and when she was on ???/ they were much larger. :rolleyes:

The moaning that made us laugh was our first trip in 2006 -two old ladies talking in the buffet around midnight. One was so very annoyed complaining loudly about cost cutting (in 2006 ;)) and that the cookies were now small and when she was on ???/ they were much larger. :rolleyes:

We had a guy at the next table to us on QV last time out. He was clearly travelling on his own, and one of his table companions asked him if this was his first time on QV. He said that it was and was immediately asked what he thought of the ship. He replied that he thought the ship was absolutely dreadful, disgusting, totally awful! The person who asked the question was clearly a little taken aback by this outburst but asked if he wouldn't mind expanding a little on what he felt were the main faults. By this time I was waiting in eager anticipation for a long list of things that he didn't like. It turned out he wasn't impressed with the shower heads! :D

J

Oh, I'm so glad you asked, J :D

28th August -East Coast Adventure

Last year we had the 2 TAs and the long weekend in NY but saw this one and decided to try the whole thing. Considered it carefully and then thought- what the heck :D

It's becoming real now so moaners/whingers/dress code flaunters etc etc - here we come!

Oh, I'm so glad you asked, J :D

28th August -East Coast Adventure

Last year we had the 2 TAs and the long weekend in NY but saw this one and decided to try the whole thing. Considered it carefully and then thought- what the heck :D

It's becoming real now so moaners/whingers/dress code flaunters etc etc - here we come!

Heywood...you get on the day we get off!! We'd thought of doing the return after Norway but decided to spend some time in London instead....I'll try to leave her in decent shape for you. :rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

[b]

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top![/b]

We had a guy at the next table to us on QV last time out. He was clearly travelling on his own, and one of his table companions asked him if this was his first time on QV. He said that it was and was immediately asked what he thought of the ship. He replied that he thought the ship was absolutely dreadful, disgusting, totally awful! The person who asked the question was clearly a little taken aback by this outburst but asked if he wouldn't mind expanding a little on what he felt were the main faults. By this time I was waiting in eager anticipation for a long list of things that he didn't like. It turned out he wasn't impressed with the shower heads! :D

J

Shower heads! :rolleyes: Well, of course isn't that the reason why we take ocean voyages---for the shower heads. Good clean fun, that's the ticket! :D

Salacia

P.S. I've made a note to myself never to ask anyone on-board how they are enjoying their voyage or what they think of the ship!:cool:

Salacia

P.S. I've made a note to myself never to ask anyone on-board how they are enjoying their voyage or what they think of the ship!:cool:

I don't but they will be sure to let you know....plus a blow by blow account of their last 5 cruises before you can get away:D

Sounds like you should apply for a security/MA job with Cunard keith.

Judy

Archived