Has Cunard really gone downhill?

Whitemarsh

Cunard, from an outsider looking in, makes an interesting case study. As was pointed out within Carnival many synergies are combined within the brands which makes sense. But it has also been pointed out that there have been too many combining of operations which has come at the expense of the brands.

With Cunard Princess took over and instituted standards of operations on many levels including the catering. After the less than trouble free debut of QM2 Carnival placed Princess in charge of Cunard. I am not sure what constitutes "White Star Service"..what can one point to and say "that is White Star Service?" it is a wonderful idea on paper but seems more words than action.

Princess still handles the entertainment one finds on Cunard. Staffing bth in hotel and engineering are done to princess standards. And of course decor on Cunard is still the domain of Princess Cruises (see QV again via the Ruby Princess where some of her decor resides). Cunard's current marketing is directed with Princess Cruises supervision. What is left to Cunard itself can't tell the difference between the original Queen Mary and a Titanic's Queen Mary..literally. Cunard's original Verendah Grill video was ditched after an embarassing image was used. In short, there is a lack of connection with the present marketing staff and the "ocean liner brand" tag line so often used. If the company is going to bill itself an exceptional cruise experience then its customer service needs to live up to that. Playing games with the fares as we've so often read on this forum and not to mention the disasterous response to the volcano issue we witnessed earlier this year hasn't lent itself to a company who has its client's interests in mind.

The growing perception is Cunard is indeed a Carnival Cruise Lines company. Cunard needs to concentrate on raising its own bar and not look and operate so much like its sister brands. Make the "White Star Service" stand out and represent the company. Bring its own take on dining, bring a distinct British element to its ships. Not what its competition feels Cunard should have.

I'd love to try QV but really no interest in what Cunard is like today..it looks too much like everything else out there. Would I cruise Cunard? Absolutely..would I pay? No way..a bargain fare most definetly but as it stands the current product leaves a great deal to be desired.

Savoia, this is quite a constrained and considered post, I'm worried about you! :D

And that, I believe, is the key. To those who complain about rude waiting staff (something I have never experienced on Cunard), I say, before complaining about the waiters, take a little time out to analyse your own attitude.

J

Absolutely spot on - as was Gari's post to which your reply referred. We also have never experienced rude waiting staff at any time - even when they are nearing the end of a very long working day.

I am a great believer in helping others to help me! - but then not everyone shares my sentiments unfortunately!

Regards,

David

It always makes me smile when I read these posts that such and such a cruise line is suffering from declining standards. It happens with any cruise line. The moaning that is. I tend to find those who do the moaning have an inflated ego and delusions of grandeur. Sorry if I offend anyone but I speak from the experience of having to put up with others of that ilk travelling on other cruise lines.

As someone else pointed out the value for money of cruising on any cruise is absolutely fantastic. If you took a land based holiday in a 5 star hotel, had 2 pay for the food, entertainment etc you would pay about 3 times the price if not more. The other big advantage of cruising is waking up to a new destination or beautiful views every morning.

Also for me and my partner, I have mobility issues and my partner is blind, cruising gives us the opportunity to do our own thing on board independently and I don't have to worry about him getting lost or him worrying that I am going to be restricted mobility wise.

We are looking forward to cruising on the QM2 and Cunard and all the activities.

Personally I think the people who do the moaning must be those people who you see in every ships lounge with stony faces and you are never sure if they are drinking Gin and Tonic or Battery Acid. You know the ones who say they chose a table for 2 when really the truth is that they have bored everyone else with their wingeing.

Only joking but truth is that the vast majority of people love cruising and the moaners are in the minority and if they really think cruising is that bad then they should do those of us who love cruising a favour. Could they wear a big badge on their lapel saying "I am a moaner" then we can all avoid you.

Please do not take me too seriously I am joking. I am sure the moaners are really nice people.

And that, I believe, is the key. To those who complain about rude waiting staff (something I have never experienced on Cunard), I say, before complaining about the waiters, take a little time out to analyse your own attitude.

J

Sorry Cruachan

Staff on Cunard ships are like staff everywhere, there are those who are good (lucky are passengers who get these- and yes I have had many who are good),there are those whose job performance is less than expected, and oh dear there are those who are downright unacceptable no matter what position they occupy (and I have had some of those also)

Each cruise is different in staff and passengers, passengers in different staterooms /dining rooms will have different experiences, even in the same dining room at the same sitting, some tables will get good service and others, will get appalling service.

In last year I have done 4 cruises on QM2 (1 TA, then 3B2B.) in first TA the table had a very bad surly, slow waiter, who got orders mixed up, then blamed the pasenger. On the first of the B2B2B I found myself at a table for 7 with the same waiter, he was still surly,still slow and still blamed the passenger when he brought the wrong order. On the 2nd and 3rd legs I had a different table and a fantastic cheerful, helpful waiter.

A staff member maybe tired, may even be overworked (that happens in every industry), but that is not the passenger's fault, and a paying passenger has the right to receive the service for which they have paid.

Sorry Cruachan

Staff on Cunard ships are like staff everywhere, there are those who are good (lucky are passengers who get these- and yes I have had many who are good),

Well ma'am, I speak as I find, and therefore I can only say that I must have been very lucky indeed.

I have met many many rude passengers - some quite overwhelmingly rude - and many of these were from the ranks of the Olympian beings who inhabit the rarified realms of the Grills.

But I have never, ever encountered a single rude member of the crew. Not once - ever. Every single one I have had any personal dealings with has been unfailingly courteous, friendly, and helpful to a fault.

J

A staff member maybe tired, may even be overworked (that happens in every industry), but that is not the passenger's fault, and a paying passenger has the right to receive the service for which they have paid.

IN which case a simple word with the very accommodating Maitre'd should be all that will correct a less than satisfactory server. It's really quite simple...you are the passenger. Why tolerate less than acceptable situations when it's not necessary? I'd much rather enjoy my meals than come home and complain when it could easily have been sorted out at the time.

I'm one of the very lucky I guess...along with David and Cruachan I have NEVER had a rude server...NEVER! Only one pair was a bit erratic at the time so many had been moved to QV...but that was a lack of understanding and maybe training....some nights they were great. Maybe it was the kitchen's fault...who knows. Others have been top notch in every way. We let them know right up front any specific things we might require and it's never necessary to remind them after that.

I also believe that a genuine smile and gracious attitude helps make their job less stressful too. We appreciate their hard work and let them know that frequently. Our service has been exemplary and I look forward to the same in less than 30 days.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

But I have never, ever encountered a single rude member of the crew. Not once - ever. Every single one I have had any personal dealings with has been unfailingly courteous, friendly, and helpful to a fault.

J

AMEN.....and well said.

Cheers, Penny

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

In addition I found the menu choices to be very disappointing, rather pedestrian; often it was a struggle to find an agreeable selection. The quality of the food itself ranged from bad (needing to be sent back, something I almost never do in a restaurant) to slightly better than passable. Nothing was excellent, often food was cold when it arrived.

Well, I realise that, as an ex soldier, my opinion is probably worth slightly less than a pail of warm spit - but I completely fail to recognise your description of the food as applying to the Queen Victoria on which I have now sailed twice.

On both occasions the food was absolutely perfect in every detail, I never once had any difficulty in finding at least two menu choices that suited my taste, and the service was never less than exemplary.

J

It always makes me smile when I read these posts that such and such a cruise line is suffering from declining standards. It happens with any cruise line. The moaning that is. I tend to find those who do the moaning have an inflated ego and delusions of grandeur. Sorry if I offend anyone but I speak from the experience of having to put up with others of that ilk travelling on other cruise lines.

As someone else pointed out the value for money of cruising on any cruise is absolutely fantastic. If you took a land based holiday in a 5 star hotel, had 2 pay for the food, entertainment etc you would pay about 3 times the price if not more. The other big advantage of cruising is waking up to a new destination or beautiful views every morning.

Also for me and my partner, I have mobility issues and my partner is blind, cruising gives us the opportunity to do our own thing on board independently and I don't have to worry about him getting lost or him worrying that I am going to be restricted mobility wise.

We are looking forward to cruising on the QM2 and Cunard and all the activities.

Personally I think the people who do the moaning must be those people who you see in every ships lounge with stony faces and you are never sure if they are drinking Gin and Tonic or Battery Acid. You know the ones who say they chose a table for 2 when really the truth is that they have bored everyone else with their wingeing.

Only joking but truth is that the vast majority of people love cruising and the moaners are in the minority and if they really think cruising is that bad then they should do those of us who love cruising a favour. Could they wear a big badge on their lapel saying "I am a moaner" then we can all avoid you.

Please do not take me too seriously I am joking. I am sure the moaners are really nice people.

May I suggest that there is such a thing as valid criticism. An intelligent, well thought out critique can serve many functions. No work of art---or any cruise line for that matter---should be without review.

While I intensely dislike labels, I suppose there are those that could be called "moaners", but to diagnose anyone who registers dissatisfaction as "having an inflated ego and delusions of grandeur" causes me to question your diagnostic skill.

The topic being discussed on this thread is "Has Cunard really gone downhill?". Since I have only had the experience of a total of six QM2 cruises in the past two years, I consider myself unqualified to offer an expert opinion on the topic, especially since many of the members previously responding have decades of experience sailing on Cunard. If I understand your post you have never sailed on a Cunard ship, correct? Perhaps after a few voyages both of us will be better qualified to make a decision as to whether or not Cunard's standards have gone downhill, and in a better position to decide which of the comments offered have more validity than others.

Lastly, I was glad to read at the end of your post that you were only joking, otherwise I wouldn't have know to laugh. :D

Regards,

Salacia

I encountered a very rude waiter at lunch on Christmas Day on the QM2. Immediately after I had a little chat with Jamie Firth and Simon his Assist. MD and at dinner that evening day Jamie made a point of telling me they had handled the matter. One day at lunch Jolanta was going to place me at one of this waiter's tables and I just said I would prefer to sit elsewhere and I never encountered him again.

ROTFL.....thank you heaven, thread drift lives....finally!:D:rolleyes::p

Cheers, Penny

I wish I could say my thoughts about when something is tilted to the left things do go downhill.

J, could you flop the photo please?

Neither extreme tilt to either the right or the left keeps the craft afloat.

Steady on.

Cheers,

Salacia

I learned when taking side view pictures of skiers that if I tilted the camera to the left (counter clockwise), the slope would appear steeper.

Anything (even on flat ground or water) seems to go downhill with a tilt to the left.;)

Savoia, this is quite a constrained and considered post, I'm worried about you! :D

I still have no issue in using the term "Cunardival" to describe the current state of affairs at the Cunard brand....:D

I am holding out hope Carnival's new Queen Elizabeth has something redeeming..but I suspect she'll look just like a Princess ship. And give Princess abit of time..whatever new is used on QE will be found on a future Princess newbuild.

I learned when taking side view pictures of skiers that if I tilted the camera to the left (counter clockwise), the slope would appear steeper.

Anything (even on flat ground or water) seems to go downhill with a tilt to the left.;)

CruznTom,

Thanks, I understand now! Great photo tip! :)

Cheers,

Salacia

May I suggest that there is such a thing as valid criticism. An intelligent, well thought out critique can serve many functions. No work of art---or any cruise line for that matter---should be without review.

While I intensely dislike labels, I suppose there are those that could be called "moaners", but to diagnose anyone who registers dissatisfaction as "having an inflated ego and delusions of grandeur" causes me to question your diagnostic skill.

The topic being discussed on this thread is "Has Cunard really gone downhill?". Since I have only had the experience of a total of six QM2 cruises in the past two years, I consider myself unqualified to offer an expert opinion on the topic, especially since many of the members previously responding have decades of experience sailing on Cunard. If I understand your post you have never sailed on a Cunard ship, correct? Perhaps after a few voyages both of us will be better qualified to make a decision as to whether or not Cunard's standards have gone downhill, and in a better position to decide which of the comments offered have more validity than others.

Lastly, I was glad to read at the end of your post that you were only joking, otherwise I wouldn't have know to laugh. :D

Regards,

Salacia

But do you not think that it says something that they do keep going back. Is it because they would not be tolerated on any other shipicon10.gif or is it that secretly they enjoy all the pomp of the ship and like to sound superioricon12.gif. Personally I am looking forward to my cruise in December on QM2 and I am hoping we don't share a table with a constant moaner. Otherwise I might be forced to throw them overboard. lol

Seriously I would never just classsify someone as a moaner because they utter dissatisfaction. But I am sure like many people you have encountered the professional moaner. Believe me they can ruin a cruise for not just the staff but also their fellow passengers.

My attitude is I treat a ships crew and staff in the way I would like to be treated. I am polite and always have a smile with them. That way I have always found I get excellent service on whatever ship I go.

Archived