Has Cunard really gone downhill?

Whitemarsh

Seriously folk like all types of holiday there will be some who like to find fault with what the majority see as great or fantastic, and life would be very boring if everyone agreed. However when it comes to airing a criticism politeness is to do it in the appropriate manner to the appropriate people. I find it the height of bad manners when as I have witnessed, people have in the past on a cruise with a different line go around being rude to the crew and staff. People like that should remember that a lot of their fellow passengers are there to relax and their antics can spoil the holidays of others.

Look, I don't know if I'd do the same as Keithm or not. But I thought he had every right to tell us about his experience and the action he took. He wasn't being rude or putting anyone down. Isn't that the general idea of these forums - exchanging ideas, experiences and sharing tips? If we ignore every poster who posts something we disagree with it would probably be quite a boring forum.

Thank You. I know folks don't have to agree. I try not to put down others. I just told how I've dealt with some really nasty people. In my opinion, only I found quickly dealing with bad behavior(like a bad child)ended it quickly. I of course would not grab a child by the nose, but you really had to see this guy's behavior on the cruise to understand why I acted the way I did. I've heard of people being "put off" a ship in the next port. I don't know what it takes, but I guess it has to be pretty bad.

Touché Savoia!

Good to see you are on top form. But I don't think BigMac was actually criticising Saga in any way.

It's just that, among the younger members of the population over here on the right hand side of the Atlantic, it has a reputation for catering to a very elderly demographic. My sort of age goup in fact! :D:D

J[/quote

I have seen their ships as well and find the clientel to be much older.

But their ships are far more civilized..more low key luxury than anything Carnival has given Cunard. They have one key element that Carnival has said time and again is too expensive for themselves, distinction.

You'll find that many of the former officers from Cunard have gone over to Saga.

Here's the deal Keith.... There is a broad spectrum of options between doing nothing and grabbing someone's nose. You have no right to touch another human being regardless of what they might be doing to tangible property. The fact that you think this man having a large nose makes what you did more justifiable is bizarre, and your multiple references to New Yorkers is bordering on offensive to me as a lifetime resident of NY.

Besides, for all you knew at the time his guy could have been an off-duty crew member or a retired elevator repair man who knew what he was doing. If that turned out not to be the case, a verbal confrontation and an incident report to the pursers would have been sufficient. Me, I'd have taken a picture with my phone and reported him, rather than risking a physical altercation. I am guessing that type of method would have robbed you of some personal glory, however it would have been no less noble.

Ginny, I'm from the NY area. I'm sorry, but the rudest people I've met on land or sea have been from the NY area. I AM NOT saying that all are. That being said, the rudest people I've met on any cruise were when we embarked from NY. I dealt with an obnoxious person the way I felt it needed to be done. I'm familier with the "don't get involved" mentality of most people. If it works for you, fine. I saw a baby locked in a car a few years back. The temp was over 90. The windows were up & the car was off. This child was absolutley flipping out. I chose to act..What would others have done? Read about it in the paper the next day?

Ginny, I'm from the NY area. I'm sorry, but the rudest people I've met on land or sea have been from the NY area. I AM NOT saying that all are. That being said, the rudest people I've met on any cruise were when we embarked from NY. I dealt with an obnoxious person the way I felt it needed to be done. I'm familier with the "don't get involved" mentality of most people. If it works for you, fine. I saw a baby locked in a car a few years back. The temp was over 90. The windows were up & the car was off. This child was absolutley flipping out. I chose to act..What would others have done? Read about it in the paper the next day?

First off this guy got on the ship with us. He disrupted the safety drill constantly. He was drunk & obnoxious the entire time I saw him, so no, I don't think he was a Cunard employee.

However when it comes to airing a criticism politeness is to do it in the appropriate manner to the appropriate people.

Exactly my point.... no one is saying "do nothing", just act appropriately.

I have learned over the years that the "shoot now, ask questions later" approach can lead to problems. I remember one time snapping at a couple teens who I thought were cutting the disembark line, and not letting them pass me. It turned out they were just trying to meet up with their parents who were about a dozen people ahead. I apologized and let them join their family, feeling like a total ass. Another time I railed against someone for leaving their dog in the car, not realizing that a solar fan and water dish were in the vehicle.

Confrontational behavior rarely pays off in a good way.

And it is also quite a good idea to apologise if a misunderstanding or mistaken identity has occurred, which I think happened on this thread at one point.. but then that's just my interpretation of events.:rolleyes:

However, it's Sunday, it's raining, dinner's in the oven and life is good. :)

Exactly my point.... no one is saying "do nothing", just act appropriately.

I have learned over the years that the "shoot now, ask questions later" approach can lead to problems. I remember one time snapping at a couple teens who I thought were cutting the disembark line, and not letting them pass me. It turned out they were just trying to meet up with their parents who were about a dozen people ahead. I apologized and let them join their family, feeling like a total ass. Another time I railed against someone for leaving their dog in the car, not realizing that a solar fan and water dish were in the vehicle.

Actually a solar fan really won't do much to "cool" a vehicle if the windows are up. At Sams Club last year a woman left her dog in the car,windows up. I/several others had them call the police. The dog was dead by the time the car was unlocked. Though she said it was only 15 min. Security cameras showed her being in the store over an hour. We wanted to break the windows to get the dog out, but Sam's security told us we could get into a lot of trouble(considered breaking & entering)Not sure how I'd act seeing this again. The woman was arrested on the spot. We all gave witness accounts.

Archived