Another tipping question; Cash on hand

tulman

We're getting close to our sail date:D, July 17th on the Freedom. In our final planning DW and I were discussing how much cash we should take for tipping. I told her that $100 in 5's and 1's should be enough for taxi, bellhops, porters and room service. So my questions are; will $100 be enough and how about the denominations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't bring wads of small bills...too bulky. Once you're on the ship, you can get larger bills "broken down" . Just bring enough for getting TO the ship--larger bills are much easier to carry!

You'll only need tips for the taxi and porters until you board. And don't forget...you'll be purchasing things (if you're arriving the day prior) and getting plenty of change!

We're getting close to our sail date:D, July 17th on the Freedom. In our final planning DW and I were discussing how much cash we should take for tipping. I told her that $100 in 5's and 1's should be enough for taxi, bellhops, porters and room service. So my questions are; will $100 be enough and how about the denominations?

You don't say if you are going from the airport to a hotel, and then from the hotel to the ship. What you need to figure out is the cab fare between each of these going and coming back. Depending on this I would probably take more than $100.......$10, $5 and $1 bills.

You don't say if you are going from the airport to a hotel, and then from the hotel to the ship. What you need to figure out is the cab fare between each of these going and coming back. Depending on this I would probably take more than $100.......$10, $5 and $1 bills.

Yes, sorry. Cab fare from airport to hotel, then hotel to port. Thinking that the fare will be $15-25 for each plus tip.

On one cruise, I kept a running mental total of tips, from the time we left home, until we boarded the ship.

We drove to the airport remote lot. Took the van to the airport, tipped the driver, tipped the skycap at checkin, tipped the second skycap who pushed my wife's wheelchair to the gate, tipped the skycap in the airport where we changed planes, who pushed the wheelchair, tipped pusher in our destination airport, tipped the skycap who helped with luggage, tipped the longshoreman at the pier, tipped the steward from the ship who pushed the wheelchair onboard. I think the total was about $70.

I don't keep track any more. I just take about $100 in small bills.

Paul

Thanks to all for your contributions. If anyone has more advice, then we're all ears.

What I'm hearing is that probably starting out with $100 in $1's and $5's will probably suffice. Then as larger bills such as 20's are broken, add those to the tip kitty and all should be fine.

Just so much to do in these next 5 days. Thanks to all and please continue to post suggestions.

Thanks to all for your contributions. If anyone has more advice, then we're all ears.

What I'm hearing is that probably starting out with $100 in $1's and $5's will probably suffice. Then as larger bills such as 20's are broken, add those to the tip kitty and all should be fine.

Just so much to do in these next 5 days. Thanks to all and please continue to post suggestions.

Better to have too much than not enough. Have fun.

In all seriousness, $100 will be plenty and take nothing smaller than $10's. You will end up coming home with lots of small bills when it is all said and done.

In all seriousness, $100 will be plenty and take nothing smaller than $10's. You will end up coming home with lots of small bills when it is all said and done.

Thanks for the advice. It all spends the same way no matter the denomination.

Your room steward will be happy to take that big pile of leftover $1 bills off your hands.

- IT Geek

Archived