A little bit disappointed

sharri34

I just rang P&O up to pay for the rest of my cruise. :D

And I have jsut been told that the Special Occassions package that I booked with my cruise will no longer be at the Salt Grill but at La Luna instead:eek:. The main reason I booked the special occassions package was so I wouldn't have to worry about running on to the cruise to book a table for the Salt Grill (I even pretended it was going to be my bf n My 2 year anniversary, Its only really a couple of weeks off from it :p).

I guess it's not too bad...I wanted to try out La Luna anyway, so I guess I'll just be trying it earlier now...I'll be sooo annoyed if I miss out on going to the Salt Grill coz I couldn't get a table!!:mad:

I just rang P&O up to pay for the rest of my cruise. :D

And I have jsut been told that the Special Occassions package that I booked with my cruise will no longer be at the Salt Grill but at La Luna instead:eek:. The main reason I booked the special occassions package was so I wouldn't have to worry about running on to the cruise to book a table for the Salt Grill (I even pretended it was going to be my bf n My 2 year anniversary, Its only really a couple of weeks off from it :p).

I guess it's not too bad...I wanted to try out La Luna anyway, so I guess I'll just be trying it earlier now...I'll be sooo annoyed if I miss out on going to the Salt Grill coz I couldn't get a table!!:mad:

How far in advance can you book the Salt Grill? We want to try it next time we're on a P&O cruise but are not sure if we have to book months in advance, or rush on board, take pot luck and make a reservation for whenever we can get it.

I'd appeciate some advice please. Thanks

How far in advance can you book the Salt Grill? We want to try it next time we're on a P&O cruise but are not sure if we have to book months in advance, or rush on board, take pot luck and make a reservation for whenever we can get it.

Unless you book it as a part of the package, you can't pre book Salt prior to boarding. Pop into the restaurant once you get on board and make a booking and you'll be right.

Hi Dougo in oz :)

I was talking to the P&O guy on the phone for ages (He was really really nice), and he said that you can't book in advance for the Salt Grill, he told me to get to the Wharf before Boarding commences to be one of the first to board, then once on board run to the salt grill before the cruise and book in, even before you go to your cabin. He said even he had to do it like that as they didn't even get staff privileges to pre-book.

Hope that helps :) P.s I will be one of the freaks that mad dashes to the Salt grill :)

Unless you book it as a part of the package, you can't pre book Salt prior to boarding. Pop into the restaurant once you get on board and make a booking and you'll be right.

Hi Skyrules :)

You can't even book it as part of a package anymore....That's what I tried to do :( It really is a mad dash only :(

Hi Dougo in oz :)

I was talking to the P&O guy on the phone for ages (He was really really nice), and he said that you can't book in advance for the Salt Grill, he told me to get to the Wharf before Boarding commences to be one of the first to board, then once on board run to the salt grill before the cruise and book in, even before you go to your cabin. He said even he had to do it like that as they didn't even get staff privileges to pre-book.

Hope that helps :) P.s I will be one of the freaks that mad dashes to the Salt grill :)

that just sounds to hard for some going on a holidays

Out of curiosity, what are some of the packages available through P&O for the Pacific Jewel?

Hi Wilkono :)

The Special Occasions package is the one I got, which includes one portrait photo, a bottle of wine (red or white) and dinner for two at the La Luna (They told me Salt Grill when I booked, but was told the La Luna is still pretty good). I think it was $80 all up, but it had to be organised before the cruise. It's still a pretty good package seeing that dinner at the La Luna is $40 for 2, Wine's around $30-40 & The Photo is then pretty much free... Plus I think they tell the room stewarts so they decorate your door or something :)

Hmmm - all sounds a bit extreme to me -- is the Salt Grill THAT good???

Barry

Hi Barry :)

I'm hoping it is :) To be honest I think it's more the Hype of being a Celebrity Chief restaurant. But then the menu looks pretty good (I found it on one of the threads here before I think), and I mean I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was $25 per head for 3 courses, and on shore you'd be looking at well over $150 for 2 to eat at Luke Mangan's restaurant. So it's always booked out...

Plus Luke Mangan is scheduled to be on my cruise according to P&O, so that might be exciting :)

We ate at Luke Mangans Sydney restaurant called 'Salt' about 2 weeks ago, and it was simply the best food I've eaten in a very long time.. we're going on the Jewel in 2 weeks and hopefully be able to book for 2 nights for dinner - one at the beginning of the cruise and the other 2nd last night! And it cost us $300 for the 2 of us - so the $30 a head is cheap!

I will be very keen to hear a comparison between the onshore Sydney Restaurant and the shipboard ones. I would imagine that even in the onshore restaurant, the "celebrity name" chef is not cooking all the time .

We are going on two P&O UK ships later this year - they have Gary Rhodes Restaurants onboard. Looking forward to seeing what they are like. I wonder if we consumers could really detect a difference in the food at the Luke Mangan restaurants and the Gary Rhodes ones in a blind tasting (onboard ones, that is)

Barry

Chances are the reason they moved you to the La Luna is because Luke Mangan is actually on your cruise, they want to make every dollar possible out of having him onboard :p

Just a note on the wine as you said they're about $30-40, in the fineprint there is a limit on the amount covered by the special occasions package and I believe it was $28 for one and $36 for the other, I forget what one specifically though was what. Just so you don't get dissapointed on there :)

I went to the Salt Grill on my Feb cruise. We didn't book the Salt Grill until about the third day into a 9 night cruise. The Salt Grill was only fully booked for the first few evenings (we left on Valentines Day ;)) but we scored a reservationfor the fourth evening no problem.

I laughed when I read get to the wharf and check in early and run like mad !! What a rediculous way to organise the booking of this restaurant - hardly civilised !!

Thanks for the advice...I'll just have to wait and see.

There is no chance at all ( cant say that word)that we would bother running to book at the Salt Grill or any other restaurant on any cruise ship in the world.

There is no need to run and book for the Salt Grill. A few days into our cruise we made a booking for a date later in the cruise. The person taking the booking asked if we were booking for that same night so apparently they weren't full, but I can't remember if this was in the morning or later in the day. However, when we went, the restaurant was full.

We felt the food and service were worth the cover charge.

There is no need to run and book for the Salt Grill. A few days into our cruise we made a booking for a date later in the cruise. The person taking the booking asked if we were booking for that same night so apparently they weren't full, but I can't remember if this was in the morning or later in the day. However, when we went, the restaurant was full.

We felt the food and service were worth the cover charge.

Thanks Aus Traveller :)

Maybe it was the short 3 or 4 day tours where the Salt grill was being booked out :) The definately puts me on ease :) I'll probabaly still try to board early so I can get myself organised and then spend the next 9 days doing absolutely NOTHING!!! (Apart from lying in the sun sipping cocktails that is :p)

anyone knows what happens if this package was booked and paid almost 5 months ago? does it still mean we will have to go to La Luna too?

Unfortunately yes... I booked it at the beginning of this year and I told the guy from P&O that, and he himself was confused coz he was positive it was still at the Salt Grill...I argued with him and even offered to pay more because I really wanted to go to the Salt grill on our 'anniversary', he went away to see what he could do, and still couldn't do anything... He just waid unfortunately it was something that was out of their hands...:(

anyone knows what happens if this package was booked and paid almost 5 months ago? does it still mean we will have to go to La Luna too?

La Luna has Asian food and that might not be to your taste. If it isn't, maybe you should check what you will be getting.

La Luna has Asian food and that might not be to your taste. If it isn't, maybe you should check what you will be getting.

I tried playing the 'my boyfriend doesnt like Asian food card':p, It's a complete lie, coz well we get Thai/Chinese Takeaway at least once a week, but I thought it was worth a try...and the guy from P&O just told me to bribe him someway:p But he did say that they called it Asian Fusion so it wasn't really like Asian food that you get in say a Chinese or Thai restaurant. So I'm thinking maybe something like they do on master chief where they combine oriental flavours and modernise it?

We sailed on PJ last May and my son-in-law was celebrating a 'special' birthday on sailing day. We had no trouble booking a table for 4 once we embarked, in fact the 'Salt Grill' was not fully booked for the first night at sea.

We found that the heaviest bookings were for the last couple of nights of the cruise, suggest you get in early if you a table around that time.

The meal was out of this world and for $30 a head it's the best value meal I've ever eaten, we were doing b2b cruises and ate twice at 'Salt Grill' and also twice at 'La Luna' (also excellent).

Cheers,

Roy

I got off the jewel yesterday so thought I would comment.

The SALT GRILL is very good - its $30 surcharge and has a better wine list than the other restaurants - so it will end up costing you an extra $100 - 130 per couple depending on what wine you choose.

We embarked in Sydney late (about three quarters of the way through boarding) and they still had tables for the first night.

However, as soon as we boarded we went to the restaurant and tried to book for the SECOND night and they told us that if we wanted to book more than one day in advance to do it via the booking line. We ended up going on about day 3 and had no trouble with getting a booking for an 8pm slot! We booked the day before. However, as the cruise went on, I think the good reputation of salt grill got around and we know people who tried to book 5 days into the cruise only to be told it was completely booked for the last 5 nights....some people told us they did just turn up and were lucky enough to get a table - I suppose if one table leaves early they can slot another in.

LA LUNA is also very good. I think many Australians think 'asian' and immediately thing of chinese or thai. La Luna is an eight course meal (where you get a choice for the middle/main course). We were really impressed by La Luna, I think because it was something so different to what we had been eating (ie, steak, fish, poultry, pork dishes) in the waterfront and salt grill.

It was a real mix and gavea good idea across the board of things that many people probably would not order off a menu, but when you actually tasted the dishes they were all excellent.

From memory, the eight course where:

1. Pickles - a range of mixed picked vegetables (carrots, celery etc in 5 small little pots - each treated in a different way - ie spicy carrot, mustard cabbage. I did not think I would like these but they were all REALLY good as a starter..... I ate nearly everything that was there!!

2. A coconut and vegetable soup (this was a highlight -and I don't even like soup!!) I daryou not to like it

3. some steamed pork dim sims with dipping sauce (very nice)

6. mains - choose 2-3 per couple - there are about 8-9 to choose from, including pork, steak, fish, vegetable etc)

7. some type of rice pudding dessert with cherreis on top (a bit more extravagent than my description).

8. Banana pancakes/asian style

I can't remember what the middle two course where - but it was all very nice and lots of food!!!! The service is excellent and everyone who at at La Luna that we spoke to rated it very highly!

Towards the end of the cruise La Luna was also booked out at least 1, if not 2 nights in advance.

Archived