New to HAL- Dress Code Question

NickCDN

Many of these boards are featuring dress code discussions. So, as I understand it: HAL's described dress code is suggested and encouraged but not mandatory? What % follow it? Also could op elaborate on his reference to the Carnival market? Have not been on it nor HAL but dress code is important to me. Presumably some sort of attire IS required. Once that is settled you have an enforced dress code. But where does HAL draw the line?

I have cruised Carnival as well as other mid-market cruise lines (which includes RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess)

I have seen everything from polo shirts to tuxedos on "formal" nights. Everyone has their own interpretation of "elegant" and there really is no enforced dress code, other than that which one imposes on oneself based on that interpretation.

The bottom line? I have never seen anyone refused service at any dining room because they weren't in the "prescribed" attire.

I'd say 75% were formal on the first formal night and those percentages dropped to about 50% by the final formal night.

Try going on a 50+ day cruise where there are 14 Formal Nights and 7 (or more) Theme Nights.

Try going on a 50+ day cruise where there are 14 Formal Nights and 7 (or more) Theme Nights.

As I read this I thought about the amount of Luggage one would need for a 50+ day cruise. I imagine the Formal Clothes could be cleaned on board multiple times, but Theme nights would be a different, if you had a different outfit for each Theme night. I guess if someone could afford a 50+ day cruise they can afford a few extra pieces of luggage. :)

I live by the KISS motto...Keep It Simple Stupid. ;)

As I read this I thought about the amount of Luggage one would need for a 50+ day cruise. I imagine the Formal Clothes could be cleaned on board multiple times, but Theme nights would be a different, if you had a different outfit for each Theme night. I guess if someone could afford a 50+ day cruise they can afford a few extra pieces of luggage. :)

I haven't done a 50 day but I've done a 26. I'm not a light packer but I packed exactly as I would for a 14 day cruise and ended up washing things out in my sink. I don't anyone would bring enough "stuff" for 50 days unless they were rich or lived in the port city.

I haven't done a 50 day but I've done a 26. I'm not a light packer but I packed exactly as I would for a 14 day cruise and ended up washing things out in my sink. I don't anyone would bring enough "stuff" for 50 days unless they were rich or lived in the port city.

Does anyone sell old-fashioned steamer trunks? I've been threatening to buy one for years. :D

When you go on the HAL Grand Cruises (and book early), part of the package is FREE FedEx luggage shipping from your home to the ship (one week early) and from the ship to your home (a day or two after you return) for 2 pieces of luggage EACH. Booking a suite gives you "unlimited" luggage shipping. Also, most folks who go on Grand Cruises are 4 star Mariners, so we get free laundry done by the ship not the laundramat (not free dry cleaning). BTW, this is my FAVORITE PERK of 4 star.

Like I said earlier, I wear "fancy" blouses and nice pants for formal nights. I also bring Indian and Chinese outfits which I have brought at those ports on prior cruises. I don't participate in theme nights, but some folks go all out.

When you go on the HAL Grand Cruises (and book early), part of the package is FREE FedEx luggage shipping from your home to the ship (one week early) and from the ship to your home (a day or two after you return) for 2 pieces of luggage EACH. Booking a suite gives you "unlimited" luggage shipping. Also, most folks who go on Grand Cruises are 4 star Mariners, so we get free laundry done by the ship not the laundramat (not free dry cleaning). BTW, this is my FAVORITE PERK of 4 star.

Like I said earlier, I wear "fancy" blouses and nice pants for formal nights. I also bring Indian and Chinese outfits which I have brought at those ports on prior cruises. I don't participate in theme nights, but some folks go all out.

Wow, those are nice perks. I didn't know they did that. :)

When I cruise on longer than average itineraries -- anything over 15 days by my reckoning -- I find I pack pretty much the same things, and the same amount of things, as I do for a 10-12 day cruise. I pack 10 changes of underwear, 5 or so polo shirts, 3 knit or silk or button-down shirts, 3 pair of dockers, 1 pair of dress slacks, 2 exercise outfits (shorts, t-shirts, 1 pair athletic walking shoes), a Tuxedo with tux shirt, bow tie and cummerbund, and -- especially if I'm working the cruise as chaplain -- clerics. I wear a sport jacket in transit to the ship and I pack any cold/hot weather specialty clothing depending upon the nature of the itinerary. I send off the washable stuff to be laundered about once a week and I have the tux, jacket, and other formal gear dry cleaned after 3 wearings ... or, as-needed.

On itineraries with 4 or more formal nights I will take a couple extra formal vest, bow tie, or cummerbund sets to provide color variations and a different "look" to the various formal nights. If it's a tropical cruise I'll take a white dinner jacket as well ... Otherwise, I'll take my black nehru dinner jacket for wear with clerics on Formal nights that fall on a Sunday or if I'm "working" the cruise.

In 2011 I will be doing a 32 day cruise from Auckland NZ to Singapore. Other than the cold weather clothing -- which I won't need ... I'll bring extra warm weather gear, instead -- I won't pack any differently for that cruise and pre-cruise stay than I will for my 22 day Prinsendam cruise, that begins next week.

They would be great, but where would you store it in your room? I like that my luggage fits under the bed, but those steamer trunks would hold quite alot.

The luggage master stores it for you after you've unpacked. Or at least he did in the days when there was such a position. We have one suitcase that's a bit wide to fit under some ship's beds and have asked that it be stored. Do HAL ships have luggage storage?

Archived