Why Not More Mexican Food Onboard?

globe9

I've been on many cruises, and with the exception of one, they've all been to the Carribbean/Mexico. On all of these cruises, there was never any good Mexican food served(or bad Mexican food for that matter :) with the exception of the late night Mexican buffet one night a week on the Carnival ships(can't comment on other lines as it's been a while since I've done RCCL or NCL).

I've done the late night Mexican buffet once or twice, but I don't really like it b/c the lines of people lined up to eat this particular buffet are VERY long even 45 minutes before buffet is set to open(you'd think this would give them a hint as to how popular Mexican food is), and because while I LOVE Mexican, I really don't like eating all those carbs/heavy foods after midnight at night, just to go to sleep usually shortly after.

Would love to see more Mexican offered on the lunch buffet instead of all the Asian stuff and/or a Mexican place like the deli or pizzaria that is open all the time.

Does anyone agree? Do any other lines before Carnival offer this?

On the Dream they have a Burrito Bar and the Lanai BBQ serves steak and chicken tacos and quesadillas, salsa and chips. The BBQ is not available everyday (I think only on sea days but not sure) the Burrito Bar is open as part of the Buffet everyday and has it's own location like the Deli and Pizzaria.

Ewww mexican food sucks arse! Asian all the way! It's healthier and tastier! Mexican food is filled wth lard,salt and nitrates! It's the only food I wont eat! The only good thing to come out if Mexico was the magaritta!

I grew up in the southwest & hate Mexican food. I personally hope they DON'T add more of the high-fat, high-sodium poison.

I don't like authentic Mexican food either. Everything seems to be brownish colored and not very fresh looking. Love Chipotles though. :D I'd love to see something like that served onboard.

The Valor has a burrito bar. It was very good. Here's a description:

Burrito Bar where guests can create overstuffed wraps featuring choices of chicken, beef, shrimp, salsa and other accompaniments.

One day the taste of nations at the buffet was Mexican, so there were plenty of choices to choose from.

On the Fantasy last year, one of the lunch time offerings at the Windows on the Sea buffet was really good fresh fish, baked grouper I think it was. Add your own fresh pico de gallo, guacamole and baked tortilla chips.

It was one of the better offerings actually and quite healthy. I wished similar offerings were to be had more often.

On the Fantasy last year, one of the lunch time offerings at the Windows on the Sea buffet was really good fresh fish, baked grouper I think it was. Add your own fresh pico de gallo, guacamole and baked tortilla chips.

It was one of the better offerings actually and quite healthy. I wished similar offerings were to be had more often.

Sounds delicious!

Ewww mexican food sucks arse! Asian all the way! It's healthier and tastier! Mexican food is filled wth lard,salt and nitrates! It's the only food I wont eat! The only good thing to come out if Mexico was the magaritta!

I don't like authentic Mexican food either. Everything seems to be brownish colored and not very fresh looking. Love Chipotles though. :D I'd love to see something like that served onboard.

It would seem that niether of you have had Authentic Mexican food from your descriptions.

:eek:

You sure about that? Have you ever looked at the calorie/fat/sodium contents of the average meal at a restaurant like PF Changs. They routinely (along with other popular Asian eateries) make the Top 10 to Top 20 worst meals lists. :eek:

Probably because everyone's idea of "Mexican Food" is different. I love Mexican Food at home but am usually very disappointed when I try it anywhere else. TexMex is not the same as California or Arizona Mexican and chains are something else all together.

I know Mexican isn't the healthiest, but it's really not healthy at 12:30am.

I also know any Mexican I get on Carnival isn't going to be authentic, but let's face it MOST Americans wouldn't like authentic Mexican anyway. Most Mexican places I've been to in the States aren't authentic, but that doesn't mean I don't like them. I actually tend to not like the goopy, cheese sauce that most places feel the need to cover every item in.

Asian food, especially the way Carnival prepares it, isn't much healthier than Mexican.

Didn't know about burrito bar. That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Do they have one on the Triumph? Also, does the Triumph offer Mexican during the Taste of Nations buffets? I don't recall the Fantasy doing so when I last cruised them....seems they skipped Mexico b/c of the late night buffet someone had told me.

I agree that while some of you don't like Mexican, I'd venture to say that you're in the minority.

Slightly off topic, OP, but, if you're so interested in eating Mexican food, you may be highly interested in doing a cooking excursion in ports like Cozumel! I've never done myself, but they look like a ton of fun.

That way you could learn (if you don't already) how to make authentic Mexican food yourself. You get to eat your creations too.

I think arguing which is healthier Mexican vs Chinese (or any cuisine in any part of the world) is like arguing apples to fried apples. You can make a light fish taco in a corn tortilla with fresh cilantro, lime, and veggies as a garnish, or you could have a deep fried chimichanga topped with fried beans and cheese, sour cream, and more cheese. Same with Chinese... steamed veggies with a black bean sauce and steamed brown rice vs. pork fried rice with potstickers and egg foo young (fried egg patties) in brown gravy.

On Holland America Line, everyday in the food area by the midship pool there is Mexican food station, mainly make your own taco stuff and burritos. It is very tasty and all the ingredients from tortillas, refried beans, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, onions, tomatos, cheese etc. It is right by the burger bar and pizza. Lots of toppings for them too. I know it is fattening but so yummy and on a cruise, I like yummy. On Hal and Carnival, at night, one night is a Mexican buffet but I have never gone up to it. Not hungry.

What items of Mexican food are you looking for? If you find it on a ship let us know.

You sure about that? Have you ever looked at the calorie/fat/sodium contents of the average meal at a restaurant like PF Changs. They routinely (along with other popular Asian eateries) make the Top 10 to Top 20 worst meals lists. :eek:

Yes I am sure.I said Asian food not Americanized "Asian" food PF Changs is not REAL Asian food!I said Mexican is nasty and I meant Authintic mexican(as in eating in mexico) but if you want to go with chain resturans let's compare PF CHangs to say Taco Hell. Still better....

As another poster pointed out everything mexican is brownish and looks and taste the same.

Maybe plumbing issues or they want people out and about not inside their bathrooms all day/night....

Kind of a joke but add that food type to the heat and activity.... yeah well at least Im that way. :D

It would seem that niether of you have had Authentic Mexican food from your descriptions.

:eek:

I think YOU are the one that's mistaken I had to stay in mainland Mexico for a WEEK a few years back and tried everything trying to find something I could eat.after about the third day I gave up.it was horrible!I dont think you can anymre authentic than being IN Mexico.

Archived