Uniworld edges out AMA and Avalon

retiredslug

Can't sleep--jetlag, so I might as well post our recent experience with Uniworld. We just returned from a month in Europe that included a Douro River cruise with Uniworld. Let me start by stating that if we had known they were introducing a new riverboat next year on the Douro we would have delayed this cruise because the only negatives pertained to the boat itself. Small cabins, smaller beds, and thin walls make for uncomfortable sleeping conditions.

That said, Uniworld knows how to run a riverboat cruise. We had a three night stay in Lisbon before being bussed to Porto for the seven night cruise. Cruise was very well planned and executed--several evenings we were taken to local restaurants which enhanced the Portuguese experience for us. One evening we enjoyed a BBQ on the Sun Deck. Cruise Director, Peter, was the best we've ever had on any vessel. Besides being on top of everything he was full of personality that seemed to carryover to the general staff. The entire staff were friendly, exceptionally efficient, and a delight to sail with. The waiters were also the best we've encountered. They were a slightly older, more mature group who loved interacting with the passengers. This was the first time that tipping at the end of the cruise wasn't painful. Uniworld knows how to hire the right workers in this region.

Portugal and Spain--what a pleasant surprise. We had no idea of what to expect but were quite impressed by the people, airports, and the spectacular scenery along the river. We thought our Mosel River experience could not be topped but we must admit, the Douro River might be its equal.

We have booked our next cruise with another company that doesn't quite deliver what Uniworld did but the itinerary, once again, is the most important factor. After that, however, we will return to Uniworld, possibly the Grand France one day.

Bill

Glad to hear you had a nice trip but how does Uniworld edge out AMA and Avalon? From your post it sounds like the ship itself is a disaster and frankly I wouldn't want to travel on it. If it's the CD or itenerary that made the difference that's another story. Please elaborate.

We did this cruise last year and I must agree that it was spectacular! Beautiful scenery, great staff, good food, and wonderful itinerary. We stayed an extra night in Porto which was great and enjoyed our pre-cruise stay in Lisbon. Maybe the ship was older, but the experience was tops.

A friend and I just finished this cruise on Sunday. It was far, far more than I ever expected. We too had 3 days in Lisbon prior to the cruise. The Tiara Park Atlantic Hotel was beautiful. And we stayed there on Sunday night after the cruise also. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Pilar, our hostess in Lisbon. So informative and delightful. The people, food and wine throughout Portugal were incredible.

I didn't know what to expect on the Douro River but the scenery was absolutely spectacular. The port stops (if you can call them that) were very fun and definitely different from being in a big city. The wait staff and bar staff on the ship were very friendly, accommodating, and, as pointed out by the OP, liked interacting with the passengers.

We too wish we had known about the new build because we also would have put the cruise off for another year. However, I didn't feel that the cabin was any smaller that other cabins I've had on Uniworld. I liked the fact that I had a full balcony that you could actually use rather than a French balcony where you can just open the doors.

My only negative was the temperature -- between 112 and 114 on the river every day. Sorry to say that our BBQ was not held on the sun deck because of the heat.

All in all, I would recommend this cruise and Portugal in general.

And we too are looking at Grand France next year with Uniworld.

Yes, the CD, crew, and itinerary made this cruise special. We could have been on a tugboat and they would have convinced us that tugs are the way to go. I was trying to point out that this boat had some limitations. We were on the top deck and each of those cabins had a small balcony. Because of the warm weather the balcony was a delight to sit out on and view the scenery. But, I suppose because of the additional balcony square footage, the cabin size had to be reduced (to get through locks). Anyway, the only complaint I heard the entire cruise from fellow passengers was that they could hear conversations and TVs in adjoining cabins. Please don't misinterpret the message--except for the noise issues and coziness of cabins this is a great little boat.

We have cruised with AMA, Avalon, and now Uniworld--all are very good cruise lines. From now on we will only select itineraries that use the newer boats. We simply felt that Uniworld's personnel outperformed the others. The previous CDs we had were efficient but lacked personality. They were there just to get the job done. Uniworld's CD gave you the impression that your enjoyment and satisfaction were of primary concern to him. Maybe he was in such a good mood because he was being reassigned to his more familiar Austrian roots on the Danube after our cruise.

The stay in Lisbon prior to cruise was quite nice. We stayed at the Tiara Park Atlantic and took one optional tour that included two local communities. I think it cost about $130 for two but well worth it. We had a local guide, Pilar, during the three days in Lisbon and she was great. She had plenty of information about local restaurants and sites to see. We prefer outside dining so each night we took a taxi to the main pedestrian area (tourist area about two miles away near the castle) and chose from among the many dining options.

Following the cruise we stayed in Porto for two nights at the Pestano Porto Hotel, beautiful hotel on the river.

From the pickup at the airport to the departing by taxi from the cruise, Uniworld handled everything flawlessly. So, to reiterate, we enjoyed all three riverboat cruises but were quite impressed by the professionalism and functionality of Uniworld.

Bill

Thanks for all the info on this cruise, as we are looking at it for next year.

I know that the cruise ends in Porto. How did you get back to Lisbon to get home? Thanks too for the hotel recommendation there, as we may choose to do the same.

We did the Enchanting Danube with Uniworld last month. We had a very new ship (River Beatrice) which was great, but as you say, it is often the people and the service that makes your experience for the most part. We have sailed on many ocean cruises, some on newer, some on older ships, some large, some small. Yes, noise, age, decor, etc are important, but we have had many a great trip on an older ship.

Our RB staff, from Captain Tom, to our Cruise Manager Mirella ( who did a superb job also) made every minute of a wet and somewhat unusual trip (the Danube closed part way through) a wonderful experience.

DiamondDiva -- We took the train from Porto to Lisbon and it was very easy and convenient. The ship had a taxi come for us. There are two train stations in Lisbon. We thought we were going to the one actually in Lisbon but our tickets were for the one close to the airport. What an amazing station! Built for (I think) the World Expo in 1998. Very easy to get thru and we just took a cab to the Tiara Park. I think it cost a little under 15 Euros for the taxi.

Thank you for the information. We cruised on AMA a few years ago and the ship was very nice. Food just so-so, however. Our TA suggested Uniworld for a Danube cruise next year and I am interested in the comparison between the lines. I understood from the TA that Uniworld is a slight step up from AMA.:)

Thanks for all the info on this cruise, as we are looking at it for next year.

I know that the cruise ends in Porto. How did you get back to Lisbon to get home? Thanks too for the hotel recommendation there, as we may choose to do the same.

We book our own flights so we simply flew TAP on to Barcelona for a few days. And, I must correct my spelling of the Pestana Porto Hotel.

http://www.pestana.com/hotels/en/hotels/europe/OportoHotels/Porto/Home/

Bill

Hi Helen and Frank,

As I have posted before the AMA boats are fantastic. I can't compare with Uniword but I know our experience with AMA was fantastic. They certainly know how to do river cruises. The boat was spotlessly clean, the staff were happy and helpful and we had the best CD and captain. Their sense of humour was brilliant. The food and service was next to none. Waiters, waitresses, cabin staff, drink staff - nobody had an attitude.

We too were picked up at our destination, and embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze. Helen and Frank - you will enjoy your trip with AMA. I would choose them again anytime, anywhere.

Thanks for all the info-now we have a better idea of what to expect-we leave next month, so looks like we have to be ready for some hot weather. (Our Oct trip is on the Rhine, not to Portugal).

Archived