Credit Card Question

Lil Eng

When I booked I gave my American Express CC#, if I choose to put some charges on another CC would they have a problem with that and also during the week if I check my acct. I might decide to pay some down in cash would that be ok? Sorry if this has been answered before but its my first time on Princess. Thank you.

You can put cash at your account anytime during the cruise - you can even send onboard credit to yourself before you get on the ship.

You can change the cc you have on your account at the pursers desk

Welcome to Princess

When I booked I gave my American Express CC#, if I choose to put some charges on another CC would they have a problem with that and also during the week if I check my acct. I might decide to pay some down in cash would that be ok? Sorry if this has been answered before but its my first time on Princess. Thank you.

I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, but the credit card number that you enter on your cruise personalizer must be the same one you have to show when you check in. I don't think paying cash will be a problem. Most people will accept that!

I think, and I stand to be corrected on this, but the credit card number that you enter on your cruise personalizer must be the same one you have to show when you check in. I don't think paying cash will be a problem. Most people will accept that!

Actually, this is incorrect. You can give them a different credit card at check in if you would like to. It does not have to the be the same one you listed on the Princess Personalizer. ;)

Actually, this is incorrect. You can give them a different credit card at check in if you would like to. It does not have to the be the same one you listed on the Princess Personalizer. ;)

Toto is right, as I have had to change my cc at check-in before, and there was no problem

I usually just say I am paying cash on the personalizer, and then give them the cc info on check-in. That way I can decide which card to use during my cruise.(not that I have too many, I only really have two anyway... :) )

I usually just say I am paying cash on the personalizer, and then give them the cc info on check-in. That way I can decide which card to use during my cruise.(not that I have too many, I only really have two anyway... :) )

I thought you could not print out your boarding passes if you had not entered a credit card number into the personalizer.

Be sure to contact your credit card customer service number before you leave home to let them know you will be on vacation out of the country.

We didn't do this once and had a cruise where our card, presented at boarding, suspended for suspected fraud by the bank after we used it on a Caribbean island. We ended up splitting our onboard account between two other cards we had with us (one a business account) for safety.

Princess does a periodic check on credit cards during the cruise (other threads here on CC describe it as a "hold"), especially if you have made a major purchase onboard. it was during such a check that they discovered the credit card suspension.

So it is possible to switch cards at any time during the cruise.

In the course of the cruise, will Princess let you do a partial paydown - i.e. using the credit card on file to pay a part of the current amount due? Our bank has "for our protection" (their words) a single-charge limit not related to, and much less than, the full credit line. The only way around this is to tell them in advance the details of what the "over-the-charge-limit" will be. We found this out the hard way when paying our cruise fare the other day - was rejected by the bank until we contacted them and they clarified the policy for us ... they then allowed the charge to go through.

In the course of the cruise, will Princess let you do a partial paydown - i.e. using the credit card on file to pay a part of the current amount due? Our bank has "for our protection" (their words) a single-charge limit not related to, and much less than, the full credit line. The only way around this is to tell them in advance the details of what the "over-the-charge-limit" will be. We found this out the hard way when paying our cruise fare the other day - was rejected by the bank until we contacted them and they clarified the policy for us ... they then allowed the charge to go through.

Hi, Andy. That's a good question; my Credit Union has the same policy, which has impacted my final payments, too, but so far I've never spent that much onboard (maybe I don't drink as many martinis as I think I do!) or gone on a long enough cruise (yet) to have it be an issue. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't do a partial paydown but dealing with the Purser's Desk can be such a pain sometimes that I think what I'd do in this situation is send myself lots of advance OBC, so that the end charge on the card wouldn't get anywhere near my single-charge limit. By now I've gotten pretty good at estimating almost to the nearest $100 how much I'll spend onboard. I'm glad you asked this, since I'm looking at a long cruise for next year.

Hi to Joanne!

Hi, Andy. That's a good question; my Credit Union has the same policy, which has impacted my final payments, too, but so far I've never spent that much onboard (maybe I don't drink as many martinis as I think I do!) or gone on a long enough cruise (yet) to have it be an issue. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't do a partial paydown but dealing with the Purser's Desk can be such a pain sometimes that I think what I'd do in this situation is send myself lots of advance OBC, so that the end charge on the card wouldn't get anywhere near my single-charge limit. By now I've gotten pretty good at estimating almost to the nearest $100 how much I'll spend onboard. I'm glad you asked this, since I'm looking at a long cruise for next year.

Hi to Joanne!

Hi Annie.

Our "bank" is a Credit Union too - interesting. I don't think we'll be anywhere near the limit either on our September vruise, but better safe than sorry. Next year's cruise is 17 days.

Shalom,. Andy.

If one exceeds the available limit on one's credit card the Pursor will ask you to sign an promissary note (a legal contract) to pay Princess within 2 weeks of returning to home, enabling one to do a transfer from savings or wherever.

That's the backup plan they have in case of lack of available funds and/or credit whilst onboard.

In the course of the cruise, will Princess let you do a partial paydown - i.e. using the credit card on file to pay a part of the current amount due? Our bank has "for our protection" (their words) a single-charge limit not related to, and much less than, the full credit line.

I doubt it. Normal practice is to make the charge after the cruise ends (often while you are on the plane flying home). It is hard to get them to change a standard method of doing things.

If you think your bank might reject that end of cruise charge, it would be best to notify them in advance.

As mentioned in other posts, Princess will during the couse of the cruise put "holds" on amounts owed, but these will be, for example, daily charges, not the grand total.

Archived