Dress Code Question-Carnival Splendor

OilBaron

I have a question about the dress code.

I have seen many times that you have to wear business casual when you are in the main dinning area, but you can wear whatever you want (to extent) when you eat the buffet.

I business casual clothes, but I'm concerned for my friend who doesn't. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thank you! :)

In general, there will be a wide variety of attire in the main dining room(s). For formal nights, everything from nice slacks & top (or a church dress) to long formal gowns (with fewer of the formals) for the ladies. For the men, there will be a hand full of tux, a good number of suits, some sports coats and a few with a tie and no jacket (a smattering with just a dress shirt without a tie). I have never seen anyone dressed reasonably turned away.

Years ago, I bought a nice pair of black silk slacks and a couple of "shiny tops" off the sales rack and that was my "formal" attire for 8-9 cruises. If your traveling companion is female, she can get a shiny wrap/shawl at Wal-mart, Target, etc. and a piece or two of flashy (but cheap) jewelry and put them on with black slacks and a white top, etc. and get by even on formal night.

Aside from the formal nights, you/he/she will be fine in in the main dining room in capri pants, slacks, or a skirt with a simple top (the kind of thing your would wear to any fairly nice restaurant).

At the buffet, you are fine with anything better than a swimsuit. You're fine in that if you top it off with shorts and a t-shirt.

I recommend mix and match to minimize your packing and luggage. No one will notice you are repeating pieces but the two of you. Take a pair of sandals, a pair of walking shoes and one dressy pair of shoes. That will get you by just fine.

Most of the time you will be in shorts and a t-shirt, etc. If you plan to buy t-shirts in ports, cut down on the number you bring.

You will find that the guidelines sound a lot more rigid than they are in reality. With every cruise, I pack lighter and lighter and it makes for a more relaxing, fun trip. My next cruise is in November and my goal it to go with a carry-on only! Guys seem to manage that by wearing their sports coat on the plane.

Relax and have a wonderful cruise!

In general, there will be a wide variety of attire in the main dining room(s). For formal nights, everything from nice slacks & top (or a church dress) to long formal gowns (with fewer of the formals) for the ladies. For the men, there will be a hand full of tux, a good number of suits, some sports coats and a few with a tie and no jacket (a smattering with just a dress shirt without a tie). I have never seen anyone dressed reasonably turned away.

Years ago, I bought a nice pair of black silk slacks and a couple of "shiny tops" off the sales rack and that was my "formal" attire for 8-9 cruises. If your traveling companion is female, she can get a shiny wrap/shawl at Wal-mart, Target, etc. and a piece or two of flashy (but cheap) jewelry and put them on with black slacks and a white top, etc. and get by even on formal night.

Aside from the formal nights, you/he/she will be fine in in the main dining room in capri pants, slacks, or a skirt with a simple top (the kind of thing your would wear to any fairly nice restaurant).

At the buffet, you are fine with anything better than a swimsuit. You're fine in that if you top it off with shorts and a t-shirt.

I recommend mix and match to minimize your packing and luggage. No one will notice you are repeating pieces but the two of you. Take a pair of sandals, a pair of walking shoes and one dressy pair of shoes. That will get you by just fine.

Most of the time you will be in shorts and a t-shirt, etc. If you plan to buy t-shirts in ports, cut down on the number you bring.

You will find that the guidelines sound a lot more rigid than they are in reality. With every cruise, I pack lighter and lighter and it makes for a more relaxing, fun trip. My next cruise is in November and my goal it to go with a carry-on only! Guys seem to manage that by wearing their sports coat on the plane.

Relax and have a wonderful cruise!

Carnival does not have formal nights. They have elegant nights. The dress code for these nights require a shirt and pants. Coats and ties are not necessary for elegant nights. For non elegant nights, you can wear shorts if you wish per the dress code.

You can answer this yourself simply by visiting Carnival's webpage:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress+code

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code:

Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts;

Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code:

Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so.

Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Archived