WHY no long Celebrity cruises??

zoncom

I am getting to to the I want to cruise for months at a time stage, I have always wondered why X has the same old repetitious itins. Its clientale seems to warrant longer more diverse ones. Love the HAL long ones but I did not like dining experience on the only one I did. Any experts out there with an answer.??

An educated guess is that they feel such an itinerary would be less profitable - either that they would have trouble filling the ship at a good price and/or that people would be inclined to spend less on board during such a long voyage. A way around this might be to do something such as book the cruise before and after a transatlantic (and of course doing the transatlantic itself); that way you'd be able to see a nice variety of ports and be on the ship for a good 4-6 weeks (depending on the length of the cruise before and after the crossing).

Edit: I looked at Celebrity's website and you may be able to do a nearly two month cruise on Eclipse that hits different ports, though it would be taking six consecutive cruises. It looks like it does a 16 night Western Mediterranean/Adriatic Cost in early October, 2010 followed by an 11 night Canary Island cruise, followed by a 13 night Transatlantic Crossing, followed by a 3 night Bahamas Cruise, a 7 night Eastern Caribbean and finally 7 night Western Caribbean. Not quite the same as one very long cruise, but still at way to spend two months at sea on the same ship without repeating more than a port or two.

I agree that many of their itineraries are very similar year after year. I too after having cruised many times find it hard to find some itineraries I like. I would love to do a Black Sea on Celebrity (not Azimara). Or Australia, or China, or ??? I have done several back to backs however. If you want those long cruises, try HAL. Problem is I don't like HAL's smoking policy very much.

Edit: I looked at Celebrity's website and you may be able to do a nearly two month cruise on Eclipse that hits different ports, though it would be taking six consecutive cruises. It looks like it does a 16 night Western Mediterranean/Adriatic Cost in early October, 2010 followed by an 11 night Canary Island cruise, followed by a 13 night Transatlantic Crossing, followed by a 3 night Bahamas Cruise, a 7 night Eastern Caribbean and finally 7 night Western Caribbean. Not quite the same as one very long cruise, but still at way to spend two months at sea on the same ship without repeating more than a port or two.

Gonzo,

You make my heart go pitter-patter. Although we can't be away for two months at a time right now, it's good to know that we could do a b2b2b2b2b2 etc. and not repeat too many ports. It's definitely something to look forward to.

Here is how to do 42 nights on Millie without repeating a cruise.

Starting on April 8, 2011:

10 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Millennium

15 Night Westbound Panama Canal Cruise on Celebrity Millennium

10 Night West Coast Wine Cruise Cruise on Celebrity Millennium

7 Night Alaska Hubbard Glacier Cruise on Celebrity Millennium

I'll be on the 15 night Panama Canal part. Forty-two nights is not in my vacation budget right now. But I can dream.

Been there done that I guess. I would love to see S.Pacific, Australia/NZ, Far East. Maybe Century will end up in that area. I assume its a financial decision. BUT RCL already goes there; I dont know how successful RCL is over there.

Been there done that I guess. I would love to see S.Pacific, Australia/NZ, Far East. Maybe Century will end up in that area. I assume its a financial decision. BUT RCL already goes there; I dont know how successful RCL is over there.

Look at the 2011/12 itineraries on the Radiance to the South Pacific and Aus/NZ - a beautiful and excellent ship! Very close to the overall experience on the Millenium Class ships. Food is very good, but maybe a small notch below what X serves in main Dining Room. Staff is wonderful! entertainment offerings varied and well put together. The Solarium area is my second favorite on any ship class (first is the Millie Class of course!). Great ship for longer voyages :D.

Also if you are Elite on X you get reciprocal Diamond Benefits on RCCL - in the evenings the Hollywood Odyssey becomes a private lounge for Diamond memebers - free house wine and champagne, and a discount on all other drinks. Many evenings they do a buffet w/ a light snack as well.

I'm not a big RCCL fan, but would not hesitate to book on any Radiance class ships at all!!!!!!

Unfortunately, exotic itineraries just are not what Celebrity's management wants to do. X is mostly an Atlantic ocean cruise line. Their response to the itinerary question seems to be Azamara. Of course, Azamara is a lot more expensive than X.

IMHO, Princess is probably the best choice for exotic itineraries in the same price range as X.

Archived