Recommendation for quality pearls

msrieski

My DH and I are on an upcoming Paul Gauguin cruise and I need to get some gifts for a few special people. I have a strand of pearls from Tahia Collins on board the ship (from a prior cruise) but they are too expensive for the gifts I need. I will be in Papeete for 2 days before the cruise and am looking for a reputable pearl dealer where I can purchase some pearl pendants (single pearl, maybe with some gold around it) for under $500. Any recommendations would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

msrieski,

I noticed last november that Tahia Collins has a number of small pendants under $500.00 Nothing too fancy but quite a few designs.

I negotiated a 7% discount with the Tahia store on board as this seems to be the standard amount given in French Polynesia. If you buy a few pendants you could get them at a discount. Times are hard in FP and I think some of the vendors are eager to sell inventory.

They are one of the most reputable vendors, but there are others.

They hold the franchise to sell pearls on the ship, so you can do much ogling while on board prior to getting to Moorea. They have a little shuttle bus that takes you directly to the store from the ship, can't remember exactly where it is but it is close. Apparently they have a store on Bora Bora too.

Last time I was on board, I was very impressed with the apparent quality of pearls for sale on Motu Mahana, from Taha'a. So, get your husband to take a credit card with him on the motu day, just in case you fall in love.

My DH and I are on an upcoming Paul Gauguin cruise and I need to get some gifts for a few special people. I have a strand of pearls from Tahia Collins on board the ship (from a prior cruise) but they are too expensive for the gifts I need. I will be in Papeete for 2 days before the cruise and am looking for a reputable pearl dealer where I can purchase some pearl pendants (single pearl, maybe with some gold around it) for under $500. Any recommendations would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks!

I was able to purchase a Robert Wan Pearl 17mm (Huge) Grade A, Round High Luster with 18kt jewelry clasp hanging on adjustable leather necklace for $2000.00 in Bora Bora.They will also provide you with the proper documentation so that you are not billed sales tax.I was VERY HAPPY with the GREAT DEAL I negotiated.Robert Wan is located throughout Polynesia and the USA.Visa did get me for the customary 3% Foreign Transaction Fee.

They are a wonderful company to work with and offer many choices!

Minimum appraised value is $7000.00:)It is available!!

Buyer beware.

I am a knowledgeable jewelry "collector" and my husband's daughter owns the largest jewelry store in town - she can get me anything at her cost.

The price of all jewelry is highly inflated at retail (3 or 4x cost), especially if you do not live in a big city where competition drives down prices. Before you go, check prices and learn something about the pearls you want to buy. The "retail" price should be ignored. Nobody buys retail (unless they go to Tiffany)-- rather, find out what it would cost you to buy the identical (comparable) item (of course no two pearls are ever identical) in the US. You may be surprised that sometimes the savings are quite small abroad. Of course, you may find designs and setting that are unique to FP - but if you are looking at unset pearls or a strand, it is easy to be misled.

Pearls can be difficult to evaluate so take time to do some research and buy at a highly reputable dealer.

Thanks everyone for this very helpful information. I must be the only one who paid retail on the ship for a pearl necklace! I am certainly going to bargain on this trip and I'll have more research under my belt this time.

Wendy -- was Motu Mahana the private island where they have the barbecue?

.... I must be the only one who paid retail on the ship for a pearl necklace! I am certainly going to bargain on this trip and I'll have more research under my belt this time.

Wendy -- was Motu Mahana the private island where they have the barbecue?

You were not the only one!:o

If I might I can chime in for Wendy. Yes, Motu Mahana is the private beach day with barbecue lunch.

msreiski:

Woke up in the night remember that mauidreamer in her very wonderful daily trip review said that she really liked CocoBlanc on Moorea. She thought they had the best pareo's and that they had unusual, unique settings.

FWIW....

mariah

Thanks!

ms, I purchased my pearls at Moorea Black Pearl (across the road from the Intercontinental). A pearl enthusiast couple was with us and they called their jeweler in Toronto about the price (sent a pic over the phone too) and were advised to purchase the piece.

The owner, William, is the brother of Tahia C and Albert of the tour co. The pearls come with the proper paperwork and he has plenty of loose pearls and quaint (and bold) designs. If you google the name of the store, you will find his website. They are well regarded throughout Tahiti.

This past cruise, a friend we all met got some excellent deals on board the PG. They have a discount program - the more you buy the less it is kind of thing. Tahia backs those purchases on board.

SouthSeasSue and her daughter especially bought some stunning, stunning pearls in beautiful settings. I'm unsure where that was but if I find out, I'll let you know.

I am a pearl person so each trip I have bought a few. I have bought some excellent pearls unset from Ron Hall at Island Pearls in Moorea. Ron came over with Peter Fonda but stayed on.

In Fiji I went to Justin Hunter who farms pearls and got myself yellow and pistachio pearls. Since Justin gave me 7% that is what I asked the PG shop to give me as we were looking at a complete necklace - she gave us the discount without batting an eyelid. Maybe I could have gone for a higher discount but I was happy with what I got.

I have also bought various pearls individual and keshi from the Motu and have set them into some stunning pieces.

Yes I know that you can get them cheaper in the Swiss auction and if you have connections to a jeweller. But everytime I wear the pieces I think of the beautiful day in Moorea, or the PG or the Motu and what better reminder can I have.

I'm with you, Emdee, although my pearl acquisitions hae been modest. Two not-perfect pearls our first visit, which I made into studs, and a bluegreen solitaire that we got in 2005. I love the black pearls best, haven't gotten into other colours, other than white.

I also love the mother-of-pearl jewellery from FP--I have a bunch of that too, and love them for everyday wear.

Archived