Why Fred is better than P&O

simonpjd

Just got back from Norway and Spitsbergen on the Balmoral. Last port was Bergen (great place). And the Artemis was berthed next door. They too had been up to the top of Norway to Honnigsvag.

On Balmoral we had a Norwegian master who took us all the way through the inside passage (same route as the HurdyGurdy line) and we therefore had brilliant views and calm seas throughout. Artemis had gone out to sea to get there and had hit gale force winds and rough seas. It had been too rough and they didnt get to berth in Honnigsvag. We did !

So we have also saved ourselves the cost of a HUrdyGurdy cruise and we have now seen and been everywhere they go, we have had the most marvellous cruise and would recommend Freddy ships wholeheartedly if you are heading north.

And they are planning a Northern Lights Norway trip in Feb 2011. Very tempting.

When we sailed to Norway on the Black Watch, the ships Norwegian Master, Olav Sövdsnes, added greatly to the cruise…

Our first port of call was Alesund, his home town, of which he gave his knowledge

We were at anchor for Gerianger, of 4 ships in that day we were closest to the quay, he went to school with the harbour master!

Twice he took scenic detours, the first was an inside passage where we passed under a very low bridge, and the second was to see a glacier.

He was always friendly and approachable, and always had a chat with our young son.

I too have just come back from the "Balmoral" cruise to Spitzbergen and would heartily agree with the comments made about the route taken by the Master. Taking the "inside passage" in both directions made all the difference. The scenery was magnificent. Captain Olav Sovsdnes is one of Fred. Olsen's great assets. He is magnificent. I sailed with him across the Pacific a couple of years ago and on the Northen world cruise sector from Singapore to Vancouver in 2009. His input on all these cruises added enormously to the enjoyment. A good word for Jo Hudson, the Cruise Director, for she is an unobtrusive organiser and runs a smooth service. She must have one of the clearest speaking voices on any cruise ship:).

Also just returned from Spitsbergen cruise and agree wholeheartedly with previous comments. For us this was the third time with this captain but on this cruise he excelled himself with the amount of information he dispensed on points of interest and prevailing conditions. As for Troll Fjord you just had to be there to appreciate just how tight the margins were for taking the Balmoral in there. What a magnificent setting. It was a great cruise throughout.

And they are planning a Northern Lights Norway trip in Feb 2011. Very tempting.

Do you mean the Boudicca cruise in February 2012? Or is there another one in the pipeline?

We've booked for the Boudicca Northern Lights cruise, and are hoping that the weather give us favourable atmospheric conditions. No guarantees of seeing the lights, but a rare opportunity that we thought we couldn't miss. It's going to be VERY cold though!

Do you mean the Boudicca cruise in February 2012? Or is there another one in the pipeline?

We've booked for the Boudicca Northern Lights cruise, and are hoping that the weather give us favourable atmospheric conditions. No guarantees of seeing the lights, but a rare opportunity that we thought we couldn't miss. It's going to be VERY cold though!

I was looking at this cruise as seeing the Northern Lights is a dream of mine. I am slightly concerned though because of the mixed reviews I have seen about Boudicca. Anyone here been on the ship recently and can give me an honest opinion? I have travelled extensively, but only one cruise- Princess earlier this year. That was so fantastic and the ship so beautiful it feels a tough act to follow somehow! Really would appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks a lot

Archived