Chair Hogs on Dream and Chair Hog Policy

adelchamps

Hi!

How bad are there chair hogs on the Dream on deck above lido at aft? Is there an area middle or aft where there are usually not chair hogs? I do not care about being by the pool just in the sun. Are there lounge chairs near the lanai hot tubs?

Last but not least..........

What is the policy on chair saving? If I see a group of deck chairs saved with stuff can my husband and I just sit down or do we need to wait a certain amount of time. Do we wait if there are 20 + saved deck chairs and no people? What do we do with the stuff that was saving the deck chairs?

Thank for your time.

April

I am not a sun person and prefer quiter areas than the lido. But if I saw 20 chairs with only towels on them, I would remove the towels, pile them on a chair next to the chairs I have chosen and then pick up the chairs and move them to a different location for use.

Then sit back and watch the fun begin.

The problem is how do you know if people are in the pool or elsewhere? I was just at a nearby resort and they had the same "no reserving of chairs" sign stating a member of your party had to be present or your belongings would be removed. Now we saw plenty of empty chairs w/ a simple towel on them, maybe a book but there were a LOT of people in the pool. That's what I wanted to do, put my things on a chair and get in the pool then get out and have a place to sit in the sun awhile, then take a dip again....no "member of my party" was going to stay with the stuff...makes no sense. And while they had the stern sign I saw no staff member removing items from chairs.

I am not a sun person and prefer quiter areas than the lido. But if I saw 20 chairs with only towels on them, I would remove the towels, pile them on a chair next to the chairs I have chosen and then pick up the chairs and move them to a different location for use.

Ditto that!!!!

I haven't sailed the Dream yet but have been following any and all discussions pretty closely. From what I can tell the chair hog problem is only an issue directly around the pools and in the Serenity area. It sounds like the lanai always has lounge chairs available and the sides of the ship (upper level between middle and aft pools) are also a good place to find an open chair.

I have never been on a cruise where there were 'no chairs'. Right around the pool is always busy, but typically deck 10/11 is empty and usually have so many extra loungers they stack them! Walk away from the crowds and find a sunny quiet spot.

One more question for dream cruisers.......about what time should i try to be on deck to get deck chair? Is everything usually reserved by say 7am or 8am or 9am?

'everything' is never reserved, there are plenty of chairs. But if you want to be in a so called prime local like near the bars or pools, I'd say 8-9 at the latest.

Thanks that response makes me feel a bit better....I read PaulMedik's review from May and it kinda made me worry a bit. As long as there is a bar or bar waiter nearby my husband will likw any spot I choose.

Oh, the bar waiters will find you, don't worry. They are always close at hand.

Great reply. If it is a big deal, like 1st sea day, and we cant' find a location of our liking we start looking for all of the various and sundry ways that chairs are being held. You know books, towels, sunglasses the list goes on and on. Our last cruise on the Valor there were several groups that sent out a designee to stay in the chairs all night or as much of the night as possible. What fun!

After watching and waiting for 30-45 minutes for a hogs return I will meekly point out to security or the towel hut person that there are chairs that have been held for more than 30 minutes. The usual reply is OK what do you want us to do about it. I just say thanks and then go and move the offending items to another chair.

All that being said there really are plenty of chairs on the decks.

Awesome response.......I am going to have to remember the moving chair suggestion. I do not like confrontation.

Then the best advice is not to get involved with someone's belongings.

While I'm on vacation I do my best to ignore these things. It's going to happen, so why should I put myself in a position that may aggravate my vacation?

While I'm on vacation I do my best to ignore these things. It's going to happen, so why should I put myself in a position that may aggravate my vacation?

You are right, I got a little carried away. :D

There are usually plenty of chairs availbale where I like to sit, which is usually in the shade and where the music isn't too loud to carry on a normal conversation.

I just got back from the Miracle ( two weeks ago) a different ship so maybe the chair hogs would be different also so I am going to tell you what I experienced on my ship. It was always busy, and if you were not out by 7:00am you did not get a chair near the pool. If you wanted the top deck you could maybe wait until 8:00 but after that the chairs were ALL taken..

I waited on are first day for after breakfast to get a few chairs that was about 9:30 and we could not find anything, we ended up sitting on a few folding chairs at a table. We saw many chairs that were being held for many hours before someone would come to them.

I also saw a few fights about the matter of removing belonging and sitting in the Chairs (something I just could not do) so I just got up early every morning and saved my chairs just like everyone else.. Oh many were saving 10+ chairs ALL WEEK!!!

I would get up early the first day and see how it is maybe you will not have the same problems..

Have fun!!

I agree with you. There are normally plenty of chairs and if I truly could not find one I would ask a deck attendant for help. I wouldn't just move someone else's belongings and grab their chair because they happened not to be sitting in it. They could be in the pool or restroom or have run back to their room for sunscreen. So many reasons to see a chair unattended.

Just got back from Dream on Saturday. While the main pool area was crowded, usually by 8:30ish with people saving chairs. The aft pool and area would be full around 9ish and Deck 11 mid ship had some availability most of the morning.

We were able to find some chairs there, and on occasion on Deck 12 above pool, by 9:30 or 10. The Lanai area, Deck 5, never seemed full.

If the pool isn't super important you should be ok.

Oh the famous chair hog issue....Ive said it numerous times on here, Ive never been without a chair. At sea days are the worst of course and if you want to be poolside or near the action those chairs are limited and you will have to get up early for them. Other than those areas I find chairs all the time. As far as moving someones stuff, I would be very careful about this....I agree with other posters that if you are poolside then probably people are in the pool, yes would would ask if you are going to spend 75% of your time in the pool why do you need a chair and I would agree. However, there are 2-3,000 folks onboard all with their own ideas and way of doing things. I learned on cruise #1 to go to the back of the ship under the whale fin..very few sit up there and there are plenty of chairs and alot of wind to keep you cool. Regardless there are chairs, may not be the one you had hoped for but there are chairs, people will come and go..afterall if you are out there all day you are going to cool off in the pool, maybe watch Lido deck entertainment or go inside for lunch. I know if I left my chair and came back and someone was in it...they would be moving. With that said, I dont reserve 10 nor do I leave mine for much longer than 20-30 mins a few times throughout the day.

Dont let stuff like this weigh on your mind...its your vacation, enjoy it in whatever manner you get it.

It's too bad that there isn't a few small lockers to just hold a towel, SS card, sunscreen etc..... It may just be a matter of folks needing a place to put their personal belongings while they enjoy getting in the pool.

It's too bad that there isn't a few small lockers to just hold a towel, SS card, sunscreen etc..... It may just be a matter of folks needing a place to put their personal belongings while they enjoy getting in the pool.

That is a good idea, but then we hear about locker hogs.

Archived