Gen - Balcony - Bungie

CruiseShelly

Will be on Gem in a balcony stateroom -- our first balcony. I keep hearing about taking a bungie cord along to hold the door open. Question to previous Gem balcony cruisers -- sliding door or swing-open door? Where do I attach bungie? How long a bungie?

@CruiseShelly

Congrats on the balcony cabin. Only way to go.

The balcony door is a sliding door with a big handle. That handle faces down in the closed position. To open the door you need to turn and lift the handle to a horizontal position. It does take some strength, since you are lifting the entire door up just enough so you can slide it sideways. Once it is where you want it, open just a bit or all the way, you turn that handle down again, and the door will drop down (a quarter inch, maybe) and sit tightly in its channel. We have never needed to use anything to keep it in place.

Ask4Jay -- that sounds pretty slick. Can't wait. TA got us a price reduction and an upgrsde from inside to balcony so I'm just a little bit excited. It will make Christmas week all the more exciting. Haven't told DH yet -- holding it back as a Christmas surprise.

Archived