Embarrassingly simple question...how much does a travel agent charge?

ksc1984

I have never used TA but I think I might need one now. I have little experience with travel. I booked a to-die-for cruise on board--SA and Antarctica in 2012. Now I'm concerned I will need help with the airlines and hotels because foreign travel is involved. I feel like it's going to be more complicated and the stakes are higher. I don't want to get stranded somewhere with my high school Spanish! I am a person that likes to do things independently but I'm doubting myself this time. What can I expect from a TA as far as services and charges?

I have never used TA but I think I might need one now. I have little experience with travel. I booked a to-die-for cruise on board--SA and Antarctica in 2012. Now I'm concerned I will need help with the airlines and hotels because foreign travel is involved. I feel like it's going to be more complicated and the stakes are higher. I don't want to get stranded somewhere with my high school Spanish! I am a person that likes to do things independently but I'm doubting myself this time. What can I expect from a TA as far as services and charges?

You pay a travel agent nothing for his services. His commission is paid by by cruise companies, airlines, etc. A good TA is worth their weight in gold.

They will handle any & all reservations and bookings for you, travel insurance, flights, hotels, transfers, advise you on what documentation you will need for overseas travel, assist you in getting visas if required, help with shore excursions, and most importantly, will be there for you if something goes wrong during your trip.

Normally, they can get you a better rate on a cruise than booking directly with the cruise lines, as well as possibly some perks like OBC's, complimentary dinners/lunches in the specialty restaurants, complimentary bottles of wine, photos, etc.

We have had the same TA for over 20 years and would never consider booking on our own. Get some recommendations from friends, check with your local BBB, but most important, make sure he/she is reputable and has a specialty in cruises.

Not only is there no charge for a travel agent, often they can provide items that will enhance your cruise. You may receive on-board credit, wine, drink cards, chocolate strawberries, and/or coupon books (the good ones). There is also a bit of a rumor, that sometimes you are more likely to get an upgrade with a great TA...

This is a person who is dedicated to advocating for your cruise needs.

I wish you luck in finding a great TA. It has taken me several years. I am hoping my present one is the last one that I will need for a long while!!!:)

There typically isn't an INITIAL charge for using a TA. HOWEVER, you have to read the fine print and ask questions before booking with them.

Some TAs will charge a change fee for any changes to your reservation. For example, if you have a price drop or decide to change cabin categories, they may charge anything from $10 to $50 to make the change.

Some TAs charge a cancellation fee if you have to cancel for some reason (illness, death in the family, disaster at home). The cruiselines usually do not have a cancellation fee if you have to cancel before final payment it due. The cancellation fee is something the TA charges. I've seen fees as low as $25 and as high as $350 pp. Some will also apply the cancellation fee if you are not happy with their service and want to switch to another TA.

Some TAs do not allow price drops. For example, if your cabin is $1000 pp when you book and six months later the price drops to $800 pp, you can request the lower fare. Most TAs will change it (may reduce some onboard perks) but others simply won't do it.

Some TAs charge extra for booking items that aren't part of the cruise package. If you book the whole package through them from the cruiseline (air and pre or post-cruise hotel) the TA gets commission from the cruiseline and doesn't charge an additional fee. If you ask the TA to book your air directly with the airline or the hotel directly with the hotel, the TA may charge a service fee for that since s/he doesn't get a commission from airlines or hotels.

Not all TAs charge extra fees, but you have to ask. That "bargain" initial rate might not be a such a good deal at the end.

These days some travel agents DO charge a small fee, especially for new clients. Mine charges $35 to book airline tickets (one-time fee per trip, no matter how many different flights it involved), $25 if she goes on to book a cruise or other vacation (like hotels, resort, etc.)

But they'll talk with you and work out all sorts of details without charging anything..it's only when they actually start booking that a fee might be involved.

But you can do what I did -- ask up front, before talking, and be clear about what fees there might be, before you commit to anything.

Most TAs don't book airline tickets for free as the airlines no longer pay TAs a commission.

You are absolutely correct Tillie. The airlines stopped the TA commissions a few years ago. However, they do not charge any fees for booking cruises. :cool: Whenever I need air transportation, I surf the web very carefully. Someone told me that the best time to book air is around midnight or just a few minutes after. They say that folks who have made reservations sometimes do not come through and buy the tickets, so the airlines may cut the cost of a certain flight just to make sure the seats are sold. It's worth a shot anyway, right?? :rolleyes:

Our travel agent charges for airline travel. It is worth it to us because we prefer to fly business class. She has gotten us business class tickets using our frequent flyer miles as well as the best fares she can find. "Just for fun" I experimented with trying to find flights for our 2011 cruise. There are many airlines within Star Alliance that we could use depending on what kind of connections one wants to make. I don't have the patience for it. It is well worth her fee.

A travel agent provides customer service. If you use a big online agency most times you will not have that agent's cell phone in case of emergency. They should do all the research for your hotel and transfers and everything else you need. You should have their cell phone number and there should be no charge for their services and if you're in over your head that should be the call you make.

Just checked our invoice from our TA for our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam. There was no agency fee charged whatsoever. But, our TA did get us a $415pp reduction in our cabin rate, a $150 OBC, free lunch & free dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grill, and 2 HAL robes to keep. We already had a $200 OBC from HAL for booking on board, so we are happy campers!

There would be a $50.00 agency cancellation fee if we were to cancel, but no up-front fees at all! :)

Most TAs don't book airline tickets for free as the airlines no longer pay TAs a commission.
Ours doesn't charge for plane reservations in conjunction with a cruise booking.

Someone told me that the best time to book air is around midnight or just a few minutes after.
Midnight where? Your midnight may not be midnight where the server is located.

Archived