Just back from Dream

Back on Tuesday from Thomson Dream. Had a geat holiday although weather was really hot, thought I was going to pass out in Rome. We had a suite which was lovely, although we didn't get the extra wee touches the other ships offer. Ate in the Orion every night, food delicious and waiters good fun. Ate one night in Sirens restaurant, lovely food although thought speciality restaurant would have its own space as opposed to being part of the self service restaurant. Did not like the layout of the ship however. Found that with all the entertainment on the one level people were forever milling through lounges and bars. Much prefer the other Thomson ships layouts with bars on different floors, makes for a better atmosphere I think. Anyway no smells on our floor although you could definately get a whiff the lower you went on the ship. Noticed it a couple of times in the restaurant. Lots of complaints about air conditioning. Some people were over a week in sweltering conditons without air conditioning. Midship seemed to have most of the problems.

Anyway glad we never cancelled, had a really nice time.

thanks for your review biffybear. i am going on the dream in less than 2 weeks. what deck were you on? do you think it whiffs on deck 6?:)

i've booked an outside plus, deck 6,do you know if you can open the window if air con not working, :)

many thanks

I was off the cruise just before biffybear, and we didn't experience any smells - stayed on 7, but getting off/on at 4 & 6 with no issues.

The air con did appear to be off on the Tuesday we got off, but I thought it was just due to the disembarkation. It would appear not !

thanks for your review biffybear. i am going on the dream in less than 2 weeks. what deck were you on? do you think it whiffs on deck 6?:)

i've booked an outside plus, deck 6,do you know if you can open the window if air con not working, :)

many thanks

Was on deck 6 outside plus at the beginning of June, no whiff issues then only Air Con issues

Didn't notice the smell on deck 6. We were in cabin 7062. The smell seemed worse when we docked in ports in the morning, maybe they emptied tanks or something. Noticed a few public toilets out of order at various times but the crew were quick at fixing them. Our toilet stopped working one morning, but was fixed by the time we returned from breakfast. The ship obviously has a pipework problem following its accident in Egypt. It probably wont be fixed properly till it goes in for a refit later this year. The people who had air con problems were given £75.00 each off their last bill. I think its just bad luck if you get a cabin with problems, other than that you will have a great time.

hi vwgolf,

we booked 5/6 outside plus 4 birth on the dream and we were told by the thompson rep that there is no point booking a cabin, as there is so few of them. they are numbered 6151 to 6171 on deck 6.

the 3 birth are on deck 5 with asterisk next to cabin no., its a printing mistake said the rep, as they should have a hash key next to them indicating 3 berth from the key.

hope this helps:)

hi vwgolf,

we booked 5/6 outside plus 4 birth on the dream and we were told by the thompson rep that there is no point booking a cabin, as there is so few of them. they are numbered 6151 to 6171 on deck 6.

the 3 birth are on deck 5 with asterisk next to cabin no., its a printing mistake said the rep, as they should have a hash key next to them indicating 3 berth from the key.

hope this helps:)

Thanks. Are they good sized cabins? Not sure if you've been on the Celebration or Spirit but I'm wondering how they compare with those?

to vwgolf

no i haven't been on spirit or celebration or the dream yet!:D so i don't know room size comparison.

i was just telling you what the tompson rep told me with regards prebooking cabins:)

the brochure says they are between 161 and 172sq feet.:)

Good to see you enjoyed your cruise on the Dream and it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews earlier in the year. Could you tell me about any excursions you did? I am interested in the Rome and Florence ones in particular. Would like to spend the day in Florence but worried about queues to get into the Uffizi and Accademi museums. Would it be a good idea to pre-book tickets? What time do you leave on the Florence on your own trip? Anyone else on this ship sailing (10 August 2010) ? Could we share a limo tour and share the cost - any ideas very welcome.

We did the Colosseum trip which lasted about 10 hours I think. We caught the bus to Rome (90 mins or so) then visited inside the Colosseum then the Forum. We then walked to the Trevi fountain where we stopped for lunch (90 mins) then we walked to the Spanish Steps before catching the bus back to the ship. Really enjoyed the trip although it was a boiling hot day, glad to get back to the air con onboard Dream. We were too tired to go on the Forence trip the next day. Have visited Santa Marguerita before so just went ashore and did our own thing. Didnt do the Marseille trip as it was Sunday and most of the shops were shut. Really enjoyed Taragonna (we were supposed to go to Mahon but couldnt get enought tug boats seemingly). Taragonna is a really nice place with lots of churches and interesting things to see. Lovely little restaurants as well. Noticed a lot of folk going on the bike tours, but thought it a bit too hot for me.

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know if the Thomson excursion prices include entrance fees into the museums? (Florence trip especially) If not I believe I can book them on line but that would be a waste of money if they are included. I really don't want to stand in a queue for 2 or 3 hours in the sort of heat it will be in August!!! Think we will give Santa Marguerita trips a miss and just wonder round, same in Mahon (if we go there - ha ha) May do Aix au Provence trip = have you ever been there? Thanks for your response and if you have any advice on ship/trips then they will be truly appreciated.

Archived