Making the transition...

rcclman1

Well as of this morning I am now booked on the December 26th sailing of Carnival Spirit and I cannot wait! In the past I have only cruised with Royal Caribbean and they were all three amazing experiences that I would not change a thing about. Please understand that I am not bashing Carnival in any way, however I have heard things that cruisers moving from RCL to Carnival have been disappointed because Royal Caribbean is just a higher notch up. I am also going to be sailing on a smaller ship for the first time. I have three teenagers and I am hoping that they will have just as good of a time as they did on the larger RCI ships. I would love to hear some of your opinions on my situation. I guess I am just looking for reassurance. Once again I am not bashing Carnival in any way, these are just comments that I have heard. I am super excited for my trip. Thanks!

Well as of this morning I am now booked on the December 26th sailing of Carnival Spirit and I cannot wait! In the past I have only cruised with Royal Caribbean and they were all three amazing experiences that I would not change a thing about. Please understand that I am not bashing Carnival in any way, however I have heard things that cruisers moving from RCL to Carnival have been disappointed because Royal Caribbean is just a higher notch up. I am also going to be sailing on a smaller ship for the first time. I have three teenagers and I am hoping that they will have just as good of a time as they did on the larger RCI ships. I would love to hear some of your opinions on my situation. I guess I am just looking for reassurance. Once again I am not bashing Carnival in any way, these are just comments that I have heard. I am super excited for my trip. Thanks!

You picked a great ship to start with! :D We've cruised on the Spirit three times and once on the Pride (also a Spirit-class ship). We've never sailed RCCL, but have sailed Princess which I've always heard was a "notch higher" than Carnival. TBH, there were far more similarities than differences between the two lines.

We've found the service on Carnival to be great and have always had great experiences on our Carnival cruises. Number six on Carnival is coming up in just a few weeks!

I hope you have a great cruise on the Spirit!! :D

I have sailed both Carnival and Royal MHO I like them both only sailing RCCL once I think the service on both are very simular the difference I myself noticed was on RCCL during sea days all the activities was geared toward sports and all the game shows and stuff like that was at night and on CCL sea days they have games and plenty of other activities during the day which I like better I would sail either again but I love CCL.

I haven't sailed on RCCL, but before we did our Spirit cruise, we were on Carnival Splendor. I'll be honest: after we'd be onboard Spirit a few hours, I had to sit down and consciously adjust my attitude. As much as everyone here happily goes on about the Spirit class, I surprised myself by pining for Splendor. I know - what a cruddy way to start a cruise!

What was wrong with Spirit? Well, this was a Spring Break cruise, so its narrower width was all the more obvious to me as people ran around in the excitement of pillaging the Lido buffet. I missed Splendor's booths overlooking the water. I missed having public areas on almost every floor, instead of just decks 2 and 3. I missed the special spa with its aromatherapy steam room. I missed the additional casual dining options. I began to worry that we - people who aren't into activities like sunbathing and drinking that are pretty samey regardless of ship - had made a mistake and "downgraded."

Usually I'm very upbeat and prefer new experiences to repeating even good ones, and I love to cruise, so I was at a loss. But, hey, there we were, too late to change our minds, so I gave myself a pep talk and, sure enough, the unique charms of Spirit began to appear.

Our extended balcony was terrific, our waiters were the best we've ever had (land or sea), there were far more trivia games than on Splendor sailing, the buffet fare was better, our table for two was gorgeously positioned at the railing overlooking the lower dining room, and so on.

I guess my point is that it's normal to notice differences and regret not seeing some fave features. Don't beat yourself up if you have to make some mental adjustments. But, if you stay open minded (as it sounds like you are), it won't take long to discover why everyone loves this class.

Splendor is still my fave if only because I just love that aromatherapy steam room and that short little spa deck, but in the end it's really apples and oranges. We could have gone on Splendor or Spirit for our next cruise. Which did we pick? Carnival Spirit! Same cruise as you, in fact. :) Given how much I adore Splendor, hopefully this reassures you that Spirit is a truly fine ship, and you'll have a great cruise! (New Year's Eve! Woo-hoo!)

Ok Now this is just me but you did ask what people thought. My first cruise was on RCCL. I had fun and all don't get eme wrong but for me being in my late 20s early 30s it was a little bland. I went on a carnival cruise last year in May and had a TOTAL BLAST. To me it seemed carnival was a little more directed at having fun. That's just me. Well, needless to say I am booked on CCL for this october and in a Grand Suite no doubt!!! For my ladies cruise I def. Chose Carnival because I had soooo much fun last time. As far as the food being mediocre well its the attitude you bring into it. I went to culinary school so my taste is not that bad! I liked the food! Even the buffet was alright... The mini golf was a blast!!! Now remember this is just my personal experience. Regardless You are on VACATION!!!! Just go in with a great attitude and you are gonna have a blast!!! I dont understand how people can be so dissappointed over the silliest little things... YOU ARE NOT AT WORK BUT OUT ON A BOAT WITH NO WORRIES!! Cmon now! I am Glad I am not that stuck up!! I am glad I am able to go on vacation on the cheap and have a GREAT time!!! You cant stay in an oceanside hotel for this much not to mention food is included!!! I LOVE CRUISES and I LOVE CCL!!! Here's to your vacation HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!

As you can see from all these responses everyone has different opinions/feelings. We have cruised on RCCL and really enjoyed it. We tried the Spirit last year and are now hooked on Carnival!! I wouldn't worry about the food as it was quite good in both the main dining room and in the buffet stations! You may find fewer activities during your sea days but for us it didn't matter.

I found the post from Liffey to be quite interesting because we are now booked on the Splendor for January and I have been worried that it would not be as nice for us as Spirit because it is bigger,gaudier etc!

Life is about new experiences so I think if you go on board with a positive attitude you'll be able to enjoy the good and live with the negatives and THEN you'll be able to prepare for your next cruise with all the info you need.

I have heard things that cruisers moving from RCL to Carnival have been disappointed because Royal Caribbean is just a higher notch up.
Twenty years ago, that may well have been the case, but no longer.

Archived