Handicap Villa is only one room

ascatsob

I've never had any cause to complain about any of my NCL cruises and have only praise for them.

However, when anyone expresses any doubts about EPIC they are bombarded by the ultra NCL cheer leaders. At least this time no one has come up with excuses for NCL and trying to insinuate that somehow the OP was at fault.

I've never had any cause to complain about any of my NCL cruises and have only praise for them.

However, when anyone expresses any doubts about EPIC they are bombarded by the ultra NCL cheer leaders. At least this time no one has come up with excuses for NCL and trying to insinuate that somehow the OP was at fault.

hat776, Thanks for the posting. I shared your concern when I joined this posting. I was concered that some of the Cheer leaders would cast doubt on my experience, but the comments and questions have been great. Not being able to chat live here does limit the interaction and questions, but so far I think this has been a great thread for anyone who might have booked this room. I am hoping that some pictures will show up here sometime too.

Were they sleeping on rollaways or were the bed for the 2nd room still there? Seems odd to imagine with he walls missing.

I just saw beds scattered around the room so I am not sure as what the configuration for sleeping was.

What I want to know is why are AB people booking handicapped cabins. They are for people in wheelchairs!!!!! If there is a problem with the room- Serves you right!

The thing is those of us in wheelchairs are just thankful to be able to cruise. We don't care about walls etc. We just need a cabin that has a big enough door way so we can enter and a larger bathroom with a seat. Please leave these cabins to people who need them.

Also, NCL is giving wrong info. AB people are not moved out of handicapped cabins if a handicapped person comes along. We are just told....Sorry, not available. Beleive me I've tried.

Edited by sredheada

What I want to know is why are AB people booking handicapped cabins. They are for people in wheelchairs!!!!! If there is a problem with the room- Serves you right!

The thing is those of us in wheelchairs are just thankful to be able to cruise. We don't care about walls etc. We just need a cabin that has a big enough door way so we can enter and a larger bathroom with a seat. Please leave these cabins to people who need them.

Also, NCL is giving wrong info. AB people are not moved out of handicapped cabins if a handicapped person comes along. We are just told....Sorry, not available. Beleive me I've tried.

sredheada,

Maybe NCL should not offer the room to AB people? We did not request or ask for the room. The handicap room was offered to us.

This thread is not about if AB people should book Handicap rooms. This thread is about what you should do if NCL does not accurately disclose the room that has been purchased.

There are plenty of other threads that address weather AB people should be able to book Handicap rooms.

I apologize if I sound abrubt, but you have hijacked the topic at hand.

Your comment is valid, but not on this thread. BTW our family travels on a regular basis with Grandma who is confinced to a wheel chair. If you seek out some of the princess threads you will see where I have had issues with people who object to scooters being allowed on ships. Wishing you much happiness with your limited mobility and I hope we can chat again under different circumstances.

Richard

I too was offerred the room by NCL. At the time, I was not aware it was a handicapped room until I received the letter from NCL stating that I could be bumped if a handicapped person needed the room. That is why I called for a description and clarification of the room. I did not want to take a handicapped room away from someone that needed it and when another room came available, I switched. I did not start this post to begin a controversial discussion. I only wanted people to know, handicapped or not, that this room is not what I was told the true layout was. I wanted to inform everyone who was considering this room option (handicapped or not) that the configuration is one room, not a 3 room suite.

sredheada,

Maybe NCL should not offer the room to AB people? We did not request or ask for the room. The handicap room was offered to us.

This thread is not about if AB people should book Handicap rooms. This thread is about what you should do if NCL does not accurately disclose the room that has been purchased.

There are plenty of other threads that address weather AB people should be able to book Handicap rooms.

I apologize if I sound abrubt, but you have hijacked the topic at hand.

Your comment is valid, but not on this thread. BTW our family travels on a regular basis with Grandma who is confinced to a wheel chair. If you seek out some of the princess threads you will see where I have had issues with people who object to scooters being allowed on ships. Wishing you much happiness with your limited mobility and I hope we can chat again under different circumstances.

Richard

I have been silently reading this thread as I'm sure other Handicapped cruisers have. Everyone is trying to justify their wrong actions.

You are incorrect. This thread is about and I quote "Handicapped Villa is only one room" Since it involves a handicapped room, handicapped people have a right to post on this public forum.

Quit passing the buck and blaming NCL people. Take some personal responsibility. Yes, clearly NCL shouldn't be offering this handicapped room but no one is twisting your arm to accept it. You accepted the room knowing it was HC. The deck plans clearly shows it was handicapped. Surely you know HC cabins are going to be different as they have to be adaped to allow a wheelchair. You didn't care at the time, you got the room you wanted.....To heck with the handicapped. Obviously you wernt thinking of Grandma then.

Now you find out it's a room you don't want and are having a fit. It was fine that it was HC before when it suited your needs now all of a sudden......it's NCL's fault.

You are clearly trying to steer this thread....... How NCL done you wrong. None of you want people to discuss how you did the WRONG thing to begin with and booked a handicapped room when you didn't need it.

Edited by Umbarger

I have been silently reading this thread as I'm sure other Handicapped cruisers have. Everyone is trying to justify their wrong actions.

You are incorrect. This thread is about and I quote "Handicapped Villa is only one room" Since it involves a handicapped room, handicapped people have a right to post on this public forum.

Quit passing the buck and blaming NCL people. Take some personal responsibility. Yes, clearly NCL shouldn't be offering this handicapped room but no one is twisting your arm to accept it. You accepted the room knowing it was HC. The deck plans clearly shows it was handicapped. Surely you know HC cabins are going to be different as they have to be adaped to allow a wheelchair. You didn't care at the time, you got the room you wanted.....To heck with the handicapped. Obviously you wernt thinking of Grandma then.

Now you find out it's a room you don't want and are having a fit. It was fine that it was HC before when it suited your needs now all of a sudden......it's NCL's fault.

You are clearly trying to steer this thread....... How NCL done you wrong. None of you want people to discuss how you did the WRONG thing to begin with and booked a handicapped room when you didn't need it.

Umbarger,

I still think you have missed the point of this thread. NCL sold me a 3-room suite, not a single room with a curtain.

I don't dispute any of your comments or postion. I think you should start a thread the specifcially discusses if cruise ships should only allow Handicap rooms to be booked by Handicaped people. Maybe you should also work toward passing some legislation to regulate the industry so this becomes a non-issue.

I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts, but let's get back to the topic at hand which is that NCL has not marketed this room accurately. Thank you for participating on this thread.

Umbarger,

I still think you have missed the point of this thread. NCL sold me a 3-room suite, not a single room with a curtain.

I don't dispute any of your comments or postion. I think you should start a thread the specifcially discusses if cruise ships should only allow Handicap rooms to be booked by Handicaped people. Maybe you should also work toward passing some legislation to regulate the industry so this becomes a non-issue.

I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts, but let's get back to the topic at hand which is that NCL has not marketed this room accurately. Thank you for participating on this thread.

Umm.... I think Umbarger has a few good points to make, and looking at the deck plans, I would say NCL marketed the room accurately.

Perhaps one of their phone people made a mistake, but it shouldn't really matter since you had already spent the weekend making alternate arrangements after the July 16th call (when they called to advise you that the room could not accommodate you).

You then spent the weekend making alternate arrangments, so I'm not sure why the July 19th call had any impact whatsoever.... nor why you subsequently feel the need to be compensated.

As to the hijacking of threads, remember that THIS thread is about the layout of this room, now whether NCL marketed it correctly to you. You've made THAT the topic of the Poll thread.

Until the rest of us see photos of this room, or hear from anyone who has actually stayed in it, all any of us are doing is conjecturing. We know there are curtains....and we know that NCL knows that this is a functionally different cabin (they advised you of this on the 16th) and have it on the deck plans.....so why is this thread still going?

This thread could have stopped at "I saw the cabin, and the design changes to accommodate handicapped include the removal of walls, and substitution of curtains".

That's it. Descriptive, useful, and 1 post in length.

SJBDZ,

I wish there was a way to privately share phone numbers because you appear to still be skeptical of my motives.

I apologize for not getting back to you regarding the phone calls and alternative plans. Please allow me to try to explain this in more detail:

Friday at 3:30 or so.... NCL leaves a voice mail stating that there is a problem with our room and it only acomidates two and they will work toward keeping us in the Courtyard.

Monday in the morning (Pacific Coast Time) NCL apologizes for the phone call and the mistake. She called it a "Hic-up" and that the room was a true double. I was also advised that the room had a seperate sleeping room. Thus we are HAPPY and planning on a great cruise with NCL. No need to take advantage of the rooms RCL was holding for me on the Oasis of the Seas.

FAST FROWARD..... I read this thead last Sunday Night to read that it is only one room.

I called NCL and they called me back and they confirmed that the information I recieved on line here from OP was correct and she apologized for the mistake. The option we chose was to take the refund and we are now booked on the Carnival Liberty as the Oasis of the Seas is sold out except for the Presidetial Suite, but it is only availble for 1-week and we were booked on B2B two weeks on the Epic.

NCL has provided me a full refund for my cruise and travel insurance. They did not compensate me for my airfare. I recieved my refund earlier this morning as a credit to my credit card.

I really wanted to know what other crusiers would do in my postion and I also wanted to spread the word that this room is not as advertised.

So, do you think NCL would have provided me a full refund if this were not thier mistake?

I do appreciate you taking the time to write and seek clarification. It is people like you that keep this site interesting.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Richard:o

Edited by GigCrusier

Overall, I think threads like these are very good. Input from the people most impacted (the handicapped cruiser community) are very important.

I see the awareness among the posters increasing as these threads progress. Hopefully, the cruisers and specifically the members of CC can help to educate the folks of NCL about the importance of this matter as it seems their training and education is severely lacking. It seems that everyone is in agreement there...and this thread is definitely a step in the right direction.

In spite of the failing of the cruise line (in this instance and a few others that have been already pointed out)...the cruise community is quickly becoming better educated. In a few cases...I've called the cruise line directly and booked a room based on a sale or getting a good rate and not even cared about the cabin number or location. That's not really important to me...as I've assumed the individual on the phone had the situational awareness and character quotient not to place me in a valuable handicap accessible room that I didn't need.

Edited by Hunwolf

Apparently the OP should've claimed to be handicapped and irritated that his promised 3-room cabin was actually one room with curtains.

Maybe then everyone would understand the point of the thread - that the cabin wasn't what was promised. Personally, I would not assume that a 3-room HC cabin had no walls.

Or should handicapped people not expect walls in their '3-room' cabin???

SJBDZ,

I wish there was a way to privately share phone numbers because you appear to still be skeptical of my motives.

I apologize for not getting back to you regarding the phone calls and alternative plans. Please allow me to try to explain this in more detail:

Friday at 3:30 or so.... NCL leaves a voice mail stating that there is a problem with our room and it only acomidates two and they will work toward keeping us in the Courtyard.

Monday in the morning (Pacific Coast Time) NCL apologizes for the phone call and the mistake. She called it a "Hic-up" and that the room was a true double. I was also advised that the room had a seperate sleeping room. Thus we are HAPPY and planning on a great cruise with NCL. No need to take advantage of the rooms RCL was holding for me on the Oasis of the Seas.

FAST FROWARD..... I read this thead last Sunday Night to read that it is only one room.

I called NCL and they called me back and they confirmed that the information I recieved on line here from OP was correct and she apologized for the mistake. The option we chose was to take the refund and we are now booked on the Carnival Liberty as the Oasis of the Seas is sold out except for the Presidetial Suite, but it is only availble for 1-week and we were booked on B2B two weeks on the Epic.

NCL has provided me a full refund for my cruise and travel insurance. They did not compensate me for my airfare. I recieved my refund earlier this morning as a credit to my credit card.

I really wanted to know what other crusiers would do in my postion and I also wanted to spread the word that this room is not as advertised.

So, do you think NCL would have provided me a full refund if this were not thier mistake?

I do appreciate you taking the time to write and seek clarification. It is people like you that keep this site interesting.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Richard:o

Richard, it isn't that I question your motives, I truly don't think I'm doing that. I do wonder what the point of asking people what they'd do in the same situation is.... because none of us had all of the information YOU had.

Given the whole story which we now have, I would refer back to T2Cruise1's post where he shows the deck plan indicating that the cabin was not a 5-person cabin, but that a 3rd or 4th was 'possible'. I would interpret that to mean....with roll-away (which is apparently what the OP saw in the room when he saw it).

Since neither "I", nor the NCL agent on the phone really know what RICHARD means when he says "true double", they probably interpreted it to be "yes, it will definately sleep 2 people".

There's a book by Chip Heath & Dan Heath called Made to Stick, in it they refer to Elizabeth Newton's PhD experiment called Tappers & Listeners.

Tappers were given well-known tunes and asked to tap out the rhythm of the tune to a listener (by knocking on a table). The listener had to determine the song based on the rhythm being tapped.

In the experiment only 2.5% of songs were guessed. The tappers knew the rhythms inherently, and were expecting that they would be understood 50% of the time.

The tappers interpreted that the listeners were dense for not being able to hear the 'obvious' rhythm of the song.

This thread reminds me of that anecdote, because we all read/hear the same words, yet interpret them differently.

I can imagine the 3 calls going like this, based on what you've said:

Call 1: The room is officially a 2-person room, not a 5-person room. We'll find a different villa for you.

Call 2: Oh...we didn't need to find you a different room after all, the HC room does accommodate your party....(using convertible couches, and roll-aways)

Call 3: Oh, yes, you're right. It is different than the other villas, it's HC-acceessible...and the rooms are divided by flexible heavy curtains, not by solid immovable walls.

Nothing in the 2nd call made the first one wrong, and nothing in the 3rd made the 2nd wrong.

Yet at the end of the day you have decided that a curtain is not a suitable barrier for you. I'm not sure why, myself, but that's your decision and you're entitled to it.

You also say that the refund has been made, and that's great...and that you've found an alternate so that presumably your airline tickets are not wasted....that's great too.

So what remains to be accomplished, anyway? It sounds as though everything is already resolved....so why are we still debating what the resolution SHOULD be?

Stephen

Richard, it isn't that I question your motives, I truly don't think I'm doing that. I do wonder what the point of asking people what they'd do in the same situation is.... because none of us had all of the information YOU had.

Given the whole story which we now have, I would refer back to T2Cruise1's post where he shows the deck plan indicating that the cabin was not a 5-person cabin, but that a 3rd or 4th was 'possible'. I would interpret that to mean....with roll-away (which is apparently what the OP saw in the room when he saw it).

Since neither "I", nor the NCL agent on the phone really know what RICHARD means when he says "true double", they probably interpreted it to be "yes, it will definately sleep 2 people".

There's a book by Chip Heath & Dan Heath called Made to Stick, in it they refer to Elizabeth Newton's PhD experiment called Tappers & Listeners.

Tappers were given well-known tunes and asked to tap out the rhythm of the tune to a listener (by knocking on a table). The listener had to determine the song based on the rhythm being tapped.

In the experiment only 2.5% of songs were guessed. The tappers knew the rhythms inherently, and were expecting that they would be understood 50% of the time.

The tappers interpreted that the listeners were dense for not being able to hear the 'obvious' rhythm of the song.

This thread reminds me of that anecdote, because we all read/hear the same words, yet interpret them differently.

I can imagine the 3 calls going like this, based on what you've said:

Call 1: The room is officially a 2-person room, not a 5-person room. We'll find a different villa for you.

Call 2: Oh...we didn't need to find you a different room after all, the HC room does accommodate your party....(using convertible couches, and roll-aways)

Call 3: Oh, yes, you're right. It is different than the other villas, it's HC-acceessible...and the rooms are divided by flexible heavy curtains, not by solid immovable walls.

Nothing in the 2nd call made the first one wrong, and nothing in the 3rd made the 2nd wrong.

Yet at the end of the day you have decided that a curtain is not a suitable barrier for you. I'm not sure why, myself, but that's your decision and you're entitled to it.

You also say that the refund has been made, and that's great...and that you've found an alternate so that presumably your airline tickets are not wasted....that's great too.

So what remains to be accomplished, anyway? It sounds as though everything is already resolved....so why are we still debating what the resolution SHOULD be?

Stephen

Stephen,

You neglected a very important element of call #2.

"I was also advised that the room had a seperate sleeping room."

Also, I not speaking with a reservation person.

The lady who call me said she was from NCL Corporate Offices.

Would you not think the Corporate Office Folks should know the room configuration?

Richard

Would you not think the Corporate Office Folks should know the room configuration?

Richard

No, not at all. NCL's corporate offices are renowned for having incomplete information.

Reservations is part of NCL's corporate offices.... although there are some PCCs who work outside of Miami.

Most of those people have never set foot on the ship, and even if they had.... the likelihood that they'd have seen this specific room (of the 2000 rooms available) is slim.

That's why I can't wait to see photos of this room.

Stephen,

You neglected a very important element of call #2.

"I was also advised that the room had a seperate sleeping room."

Also, I not speaking with a reservation person.

Richard

Richard, Yes -- I would have expected that the individual who contacted you from the corporate offices **should have had** the correct information, especially since I believe you escalated your concerns to the people in Corporate. As I have said over and over and over -- there is no doubt that NCL will provide us with a good cruise experience. But I believe through my limited but intense exposure, the on-shore administrative functions at NCL are in dire need of modernization and improvement. I could not rate it any higher than a "Needs Improvement".

No, not at all. NCL's corporate offices are renowned for having incomplete information.

Reservations is part of NCL's corporate offices.... although there are some PCCs who work outside of Miami.

Most of those people have never set foot on the ship, and even if they had.... the likelihood that they'd have seen this specific room (of the 2000 rooms available) is slim.

That's why I can't wait to see photos of this room.

I'm not sure whether this is a sad commentary on the corporation or sad on the behalf of the patrons who accepts this as "standard operating procedure".

Very discouraging state of affairs...

I agree with you that someone who isn't handikapped shall not book a room for disabled.

I do think that you are wrong when you say "Surely you know HC cabins are going to be different as they have to be adaped to allow a wheelchair" and because of that the OP shall accept what he got. I look in the brochure and NCL say: "separate bedroom with queen-size bed, sep. children's bedroom, 2 luxurious bathroom", is that what the OP was offered? It's easy to say that a room for disabled is obviously different but if that is the case, why do they write "bathroom with tub (staterooms for disabled have a shower)" when they describe the minisuites on their other ships? They feel the need to say that there is no tub in the minisuites but they don't think they need to say that there are no interior walls in the Courtyard Villas!

I'm not sure whether this is a sad commentary on the corporation or sad on the behalf of the patrons who accepts this as "standard operating procedure".

Very discouraging state of affairs...

I'm not happy that NCL shore-side operations aren't up to snuff.

Their ship-board are exceptional.

So what am I to do? I don't run the company.

Its a sad function of most 'customer service' departments in most companies in most industries.

Customer Service (and Rez, and complaints, etc.) are typically entry-level jobs. And with that you get turnover as people move into careers, and you get people who are not yet career-oriented (and have little sense of loyalty or committment), and you get those lowest-common denominatory types.... it's just a reality of the fact that corporations view CS as a must-do, not a should-do.... and so it becomes a job-type that people land in, not aspire to.

I'm not happy that NCL shore-side operations aren't up to snuff.

Their ship-board are exceptional.

So what am I to do? I don't run the company.

Its a sad function of most 'customer service' departments in most companies in most industries.

Customer Service (and Rez, and complaints, etc.) are typically entry-level jobs. And with that you get turnover as people move into careers, and you get people who are not yet career-oriented (and have little sense of loyalty or committment), and you get those lowest-common denominatory types.... it's just a reality of the fact that corporations view CS as a must-do, not a should-do.... and so it becomes a job-type that people land in, not aspire to.

As are most of the other cruise lines, NCL is dependant on the travel industry to deliver customers.

Those pax that go direct and need support are probably a significant cost/loss.

NCL seems to want it's direct customers to use PCCs(in house TAs), the UK now has a load of these as well for those that have prevously booked direct(they contacted us).

Potential high revenue casino customers get CAS deals.

Not sure if they promote direct to the high spenders(non casino) for the CV/GV.

Not sure how a cuise line transitions to a direct market with good in house support and make money unless they can discount against the headline rates on offer through themselves and TAs.

The current trend seems to be to fix prices in the US so cruise line and TA prices are the same needing OBC, free this and that, to confuse the differences in price.

In the UK the market is changing,

RCI offers 5% discount to online bookings, a few other lines do the same for direct bookings, on cheap cruses there is very little money for a TA to under cut this.

I agree with you that someone who isn't handikapped shall not book a room for disabled.

I do think that you are wrong when you say "Surely you know HC cabins are going to be different as they have to be adaped to allow a wheelchair" and because of that the OP shall accept what he got. I look in the brochure and NCL say: "separate bedroom with queen-size bed, sep. children's bedroom, 2 luxurious bathroom", is that what the OP was offered? It's easy to say that a room for disabled is obviously different but if that is the case, why do they write "bathroom with tub (staterooms for disabled have a shower)" when they describe the minisuites on their other ships? They feel the need to say that there is no tub in the minisuites but they don't think they need to say that there are no interior walls in the Courtyard Villas!

I would like to heard from Umbarger again. Seems that her point is not well recieved.

So.... Should NCL be more responsible for how they advertise a room?

Some of my points were well recieved. Some were not. So what?

Sounds like you just want to keep arguing.

Actually this has been a very nice thread with lots of different views. I am glad you choose to join in and share your thoughts. THANKS!