What to buy in ports?

Jamdug73

I like to buy cups from each port. I have a small little china type cabnet I put them in but its almost full. By the way I loved the blue mountain coffee from jamaica. I think I will try the PR coffee, too.

My problem is we will be doing Victory and have 7 really 8 ports because I want to ferry over to st. johns. Thats a lot of cups, but I really enjoy my morning coffee and choosing which cup I will drink out of and remember a great time.

I love the idea about the christmas ornaments, but you only get to enjoy them at Christmas time.

My favorite suvineer is from Roatan. Its a tree about 3 feet tall made out of some kind of curly branches, looks great in my living room. Its nice to get things that the locals have made. I also got vanilla here I still have some its the best vanilla yet.

I have a gold charm bracelet, and add to it each time I visit a different or new port. In Alaska, I purchased native made crafts, and a beautiful print signed by the artist. My friends always ask for Mexican Vanilla, BM coffee is a must when in Jamaica, and I love island handcrafted jewelry - if I see it being made. Have bought many pieces - all unique and original.

granny :cool:

Hi,

I have just started collecting mini bottles of liquor. In Cozumel, I purchased mini bottles of tequila and mescal. In Grand Cayman, I purchased mini bottles of different flavored rum. They make good conversation pieces.

Cheers,

Just remembered a couple other things I've purchased.......one was a large white starfish decorated with other little seashells and some raffia; I've used that as my Christmas tree topper for years.

The other I got in Nassau, inside the new cruise center. It's a conch shell cut and polished up into a bowl for sauces or dips, and it has a matching spoon carved/polished out of conch shell. Haven't used it yet, but I'll enjoy it during the holidays when we have lots of big family dinners.

I also like to buy little paintings by local artists - they're very simple and small, but somehow they capture the feeling of the islands!

Only been on one cruise, but something we have always done at the beach is to collect a few seashells and glue them to a wood picture from with pictures of us on the vacation. It's actually kind of cool to see how the shells vary in color from each location when you can see them side by side.

The One Barrel Rum from Belize is the best! And very reasonably priced. We always save plenty of room in our bag to bring some home. :)

exactly the rum i was speaking of. we searched everywhere close to us and finally found one liquor store in our area that carries it and it's reasonably priced.

free charm from every port at Diamonds International. The first charm I think I paid maybe $5 for the braclet or either the braclet was free and I had to pay $5 or so for the first charm. After that 1 charm in each port is free.

I like the silver jewelry in Cozumel.

I too like to support local artists and purchase a painting or print that reminds me something special we did in port. I also get a bit of sand from each beach...amazing how different sand can be. My favourite is from the beach where they filmed LOST. Just the thought that Josh Hollaway or Naveen Andrew's butt could have sat on my sand...:D

DH likes to sample local beers and brings home one of his empty bottles to add to his collection.

I must be in the minority. I kept reading on here how great Blue Mountain coffee was. I bought a big bag and couldn't wait to get home to try it out. When I did, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. My advice, try some before you buy it.

I must be in the minority. I kept reading on here how great Blue Mountain coffee was. I bought a big bag and couldn't wait to get home to try it out. When I did, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. My advice, try some before you buy it.

nothing wrong with that. not everyone will find it as great as others.:) good advice.... one should try things, if they can, so they are not disappointed in their purchase.

The local artist thing is a great idea. I never thought of that. I also have vanilla on my list along with small bottles of liquor. (However they may be small EMPTY bottles after a while.) The charm bracelet thing is a nice idea. Will suggest it to the wife. Will be getting some Blue Mountain coffee. I am sure if I don't like it someone else I know would love to have it. The starfish and picture frame ideas are great.

With all these great ideas, I may have to hit the boss up for some overtime before the cruise. :D

Thank you everyone who have posted so far. I really enjoy hearing about the wonderful ideas.

Coffee in Jamaica and Rum Cakes in Grand Cayman!!! YUMMMMMMM!!!!

Also, in Cozumel I remember we got a beautiful little marble chess set for a few dollars.

This time I'm going to get some Vanilla in Cozumel.

That charm idea from Diamonds International is also intriguing. How does that work? A coupon on the ship?

When I first started I was on RCL and they told us about it - I may have had a coupon, I'm not sure. But now I just go in Diamonds International, tell them I'm on a cruise ship and ask for my charm and they give me one.

I'm sure it's their way of getting people to come in, but that's fine with me.

I always get a tablecloth when I go to a new port. When I use it a home after the trip it reminds me of our vacation and the special times we had. There are some really beautiful tablecloths just make sure you know the size of your table before you go. I also collect Christmas ornaments.

Archived