What to buy in ports?

Jamdug73

I was just wondering what collectibles some people buy in ports. I am sailing Sept. 12th on Conquest to Montego Bay, Jamaica/Grand Caymen/Cozumel. I read on a board somewhere that one person collects chess sets and had bought an onyx chess set at one of these ports. I was just wondering what other items along those lines would be something I might want to look for while in the ports. TIA:)

I buy shotglasses and bottle openers....and my DW collects sand from each ports beach and bottles it and labels it when we get home! Just bought 2 shotglass display cases at Michaels Craft Shop to display all my glasses. Its a way to remember the ports you have visited!

We always buy rum cakes in Grand Cayman. Also there is a great linens and lace shop in Grand Cayman where I always buy something pretty. They have gorgeous cutwork pieces. And their prices are SO reasonable. I also buy gifts there. It's a great spot! We always buy Australian Opal jewelry in the Caribbean, especially in Jamaica and St. Maarten. And of course rum in Jamaica. Definitely vanilla in Cozumel and of course, the boys always want a Carlos and Charlies t-shirt. Also semi-precious stones and sterling silver are usually a good buy there. I have gotten some great deals on Larimar jewelry in San Juan. And there used to be an amazing shop that sold butterfly art (made with real butterflies) there too. The way things change these days, I don't know if it would still be there or not. Hope this gives you some ideas.

There are many stores in Cozumel that sell a wide variety of pottery. My favorites are the little tiny pieces that are animals and people........I've bought several tiny Christmas tree ornaments and other little fun knick-knacks there.

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. If you love coffee like I do, get more than a pound, you will love it.

Cindy

My name is Cindy too and I also buy coffee from where ever I go. Just love the different Island Coffees expecially Puerto Rico. Great minds think alike.

I usually buy a nice necklace with a pendant from each the port of call.

I think, starting on my next cruise, I'm going to get a Pandora bracelet and start collecting Pandora charms from each port of call.

My name is Cindy too and I also buy coffee from where ever I go. Just love the different Island Coffees expecially Puerto Rico. Great minds think alike.

Cindy Too,

I never tried it Puerto Rico, but going soon, so will have to pick some up. Thanks for the tip!!

Cindy

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. If you love coffee like I do, get more than a pound, you will love it.

Cindy

We bought the coffee years ago when we honeymooned in Ochio Rios as gifts for family. Where can we buy it close to port in Montego Bay on our upcoming cruise, that would be easy to find? Thanks

We bought the coffee years ago when we honeymooned in Ochio Rios as gifts for family. Where can we buy it close to port in Montego Bay on our upcoming cruise, that would be easy to find? Thanks

As soon as you get off in the little shopping village, most stores, except the jewelry stores will carry it. Some also are brewing so you can sample it. Remember to negotiate price, last time I was there, purchased 3 bags, all at seperate store 1st one was 19, 2nd one 18, and the last one was 16.50.

I also love the coffee in Roatan.

As soon as you get off in the little shopping village, most stores, except the jewelry stores will carry it. Some also are brewing so you can sample it. Remember to negotiate price, last time I was there, purchased 3 bags, all at seperate store 1st one was 19, 2nd one 18, and the last one was 16.50.

I also love the coffee in Roatan.

Great! Thanks so much for the help & the tip.

We've been picking up some handmade/carved figures. We've gotten a rustic carved stingray from the Caymans.

DW has also picked up some local ceramics for our garden as well. We enjoy sitting out and remembering our adventures and planning our next.

I don't like to fill up the house with knicknacks, so I buy something that I can use daily that will remind me of the places I've been. For example, I have a candleholder shaped like a pineapple from Waikiki, a citrus peeler from Kissimmee, Florida, a beach towel from Cozumel, etc. Each time I use the item, I'm reminded of the great vacation in that location. I don't like souvenirs with the place name printed on them...nine times out of ten they're manufactured in Taiwan or somewhere like that anyway. Just normal, everyday household goods with a special memory attached.

Thank you all for the great ideas. Please keep them coming.

When we first went to these ports I started a baseball cap collection. One from each port. Will certainly take the shot glass collection into consideration. I didn't get the Blue Mountain coffee last time we were in Jamaica because I am not a real big coffee drinker but I may get some this time just to see what it's like. As far as collecting jewelry, I will certainly look with my wife but she spends enough money on that on the ship.:D

Once again thank you all for the great ideas.

we usually look for the local artist and collect art work/sculpture that reminds us of where we have been. whether it is hand painted tiles from cozumel, pottery from jamaica and puerto rico or masks from the bahamas etc... we like that our souveniers are made by locals and not something you can find in every tourist trap. being an artist myself, i find it enjoyable to learn about the local art.

we have also taken to buying spices, rum cakes and liquors that are known in some places. belize has some of the best rum i have ever had.

Thank you all for the great ideas. Please keep them coming.

When we first went to these ports I started a baseball cap collection. One from each port. Will certainly take the shot glass collection into consideration. I didn't get the Blue Mountain coffee last time we were in Jamaica because I am not a real big coffee drinker but I may get some this time just to see what it's like. As far as collecting jewelry, I will certainly look with my wife but she spends enough money on that on the ship.:D

Once again thank you all for the great ideas.

the blue moutain coffee is wonderful. wished i had brought more back from jamaica.

Archived