NCL Sun - how was tendering at Nynashamn handled this year?

Hi recent NCL Sun Baltic cruisers

We have a few questions about arriving in Nynashamn on the Sun. I've also posted this on the NCL board

Did the ship arrive on time?

Did tendering start on time?

How did the tender ticket thing work? I understand suite guests get priority and why shouldn't they. Disagree that those on NCL tours should get on tenders before those of us who don't take their tours but maybe that's not the case.

When are tender tickets available to us people in the cheap seats?

How long before sail time di you have to be back at Nynasham?

Lots of questions but we've decided to pre-book a maxi taxi into Stockholm and just want to work out the logistics before confirming times with the taxi company

thanks in advance

pete

I don't know that I can answer all of your questions...the ship did arrive on time. We chose a NCL tour because it was the easiest way to Stockholm. We got on the tender as a group..I'm not sure how everyone else was treated or when they were allowed to leave the ship. I can tell you that when we returned from our outing (more than an hour before departure time) there were many busses that arrived at the same time. NCL did not have the tenders all waiting at the port and this caused a huge delay for some folks that were unfortunate enough to be at the back of the line. The ship was a little late leaving Sweden due to this problem. We were on the first of the season's Baltic Cruises..maybe things are running a little more smoothly by now.

We were on the first of the season's Baltic Cruises..maybe things are running a little more smoothly by now.

I sincerely hope that a majority of guests that filled out comment cards for NCL voiced their displeasure on the companies decision to use Nynashamn instead of Stockholm proper.

Al

We were on the Sun for the Baltic sailing the second half of June. They don't do the comment cards at the end now - you get to do an online survey when you get home.

As for Nynashamn - as I remember the ship was on time - they used 4 Tenders off of 2 platforms so loading and unloading went rather quickly. We did a ships tour because of the problems of getting to Stockholm - it was excellent - our guide was outstanding:D. The line for getting back on the ship went quickly - probably had to wait about 10 minutes and some of the delay was getting our passport stamped.

Have a great trip!!

We were on the Sun for the Baltic sailing the second half of June. They don't do the comment cards at the end now - you get to do an online survey when you get home.

As for Nynashamn - as I remember the ship was on time - they used 4 Tenders off of 2 platforms so loading and unloading went rather quickly. We did a ships tour because of the problems of getting to Stockholm - it was excellent - our guide was outstanding:D. The line for getting back on the ship went quickly - probably had to wait about 10 minutes and some of the delay was getting our passport stamped.

Have a great trip!!

two tender platforms is great news:). was hoping that was the case.

by the way, see that you've been on Rotterdam twice. what a wonderful ship. shame they've ruined the stern of the ship with that crazy retreat area and extra balcony cabins. same bit of ugly as the gym over the bridge. I hope they leave Volendam alone.

at least it could never be as ugly as Epic :D

We had a very smooth tendering experience in early June. We arranged with a taxi service out of Stockholm to pick the 12 of us up in 3 taxis at 8:30 am, and we actually arrived at the meeting place early and waited for them to arrive...a very pleasant surprise! We returned to Nynashamn about an hour before departure time, and only waited about 15 minutes to get on the return tender...no problems at all.

Sam

We just returned from the Sun, Baltic Capitals cruise. Great trip. We had no problem tendering, went very fast. If you had a tour you met in the theater and disembarked when told to go. We did the Stolkhom Experience and this was a 5 hour tour which includes the almost hour travel in and an hour return to the tender pier. We went to the city hall (sounds boring, but was beautiful) also, to the Vasa Museum, also worth your time. I can't answer to thoes who did their own thing. Sandy

Seems NCL has solved the problem of leaving folks stranded at the docks.. it took our group over an hour standing in line on a hot day after a long day of touring to get on the tender..glad to hear others had a better experience. I personally reported my displeasure with NCL tendering and transport to Stockholm. It took valuable time away from touring. I for one learned to be very careful and check will every detail of the itinerary for future trips.

It has been suggested that NCL doesn't want to pay the higher port fees so anchors out and tenders passengers in to the pier then you have a 45 min bus trip into the city of Stolkholm. It takes a big portion of your touring time just to get there. Once you do get to Stolkholm you see the beautiful harbor and how lovely it must be to cruise into town. Who knew? Still enjoyable but better if you were in the city. Sandy

just returned from Baltics cruise on the Sun.

we took our first ships excursion Stockholm sampler for the convenience .It included a trip to the vasa museum and 3 hours free time in Stockholm.For this reason it was very popular with 7 coaches.we met 08-45 in the theatre and were on the tender boat 9-15.

friends took the train to Stockholm and queued for tender tickets-they were off the boat before we were!

The tendering process was slow at first because the sea was quite rough but return trip was smooth.The main delay was having to pass through Swedish immigration which was set up in a tent by the quay-when several coaches arrived back at the same time the queues soon built up.

Incidently I looked for but could not see any HOHO buses which were reported to be there at an earlier sailing

However the cruise lines try and spin it, docking at Nynasham is very third-rate compared to arriving at Gamla Stan through the Archipelago. It also means 2 hours less in Stockholm, which is one of the world's most breath-taking cities.

HAL did provide free transfer buses to the centre, for which I give them credit, but all their pre-cruise blurb extols the delights of the Archipelago and as does the 'day sheet' delivered to our cabin the night before. That really made my day, as they'd sprung the Nynamsham surprise on us the minute we boarded some 8 days earlier.

Would I still have booked this cruise had I known this ? Yes, overall it was a wonderful trip but these guys know when and where they are docking well in advance and a bit of transparency would have managed expectations and saved them a lot of hassle and disgruntlement.

Scenic Central Stockholm

Royal Warship Vasa

However the cruise lines try and spin it, docking at Nynasham is very third-rate compared to arriving at Gamla Stan through the Archipelago. It also means 2 hours less in Stockholm, which is one of the world's most breath-taking cities.

Here, here! :)

Cheers,

Al

Archived