Voyager Cruise - Feb or April?

Hi, We want to take our first RCCL cruise out of Galveston, the Voyager..first off, is this a good fun ship for kids? Also, we have two "Spring breaks" to choose from, Feb or April. Which is a better month in regards to weather? Thank you! I am looking forward to a RCCL cruise!!!!!!:)

We have cruise out of Galveston many times and the weather has been good for the most part. We have had fog delays and rough seas in the gulf but that can be any time especially in the Spring. Feb will probably be cheaper fares than April.

Voyager is a beautiful ship with lots to do. You don't say how old your kids are but there is the kids clubs, sports courts, ice skating, mini golf, roller blading, rock climbing wall, pools arcades...I'm sure I missed a few things. If they want to do the ice skateing be sure to pack them jeans & socks. They must have long pants to skate. Adults can skate too!

We did the Voyager out of Galveston in February a couple of years ago. Although it was initially very warm in Tx when we arrived there, the temperature plummeted the next day. It was around 60 when we sailed away...and it only got marginally warmer in the next few days. Nobody used the pool until the last two days of the cruise. Now, it's totally possible that we cruised during an unusually cold spell...but I'd travel in April if you want to make absolutely sure that the weather is warm.

We have cruised out of Galveston many times and last Feb was the most recent. The weather was great but the problem was FOG. It delayed our cruise but we did sail on our scheduled day but late. The parking was a nightmare because the incoming passengers were delayed getting off which means the incoming passengers could not get a parking space. Once we sailed everything was great but the first and last sea days were a bit cool for swimming. Fog would probably be a non issue in April and the weather was much better on our April cruise. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise !

Hi, We want to take our first RCCL cruise out of Galveston, the Voyager..first off, is this a good fun ship for kids? Also, we have two "Spring breaks" to choose from, Feb or April. Which is a better month in regards to weather? Thank you! I am looking forward to a RCCL cruise!!!!!!:)

Find out when Easter is and try not to disembark that day....... We did 2 years ago and even with early disembarking we waited 4 HOURS to get thru customs......a HUGE cluster f#*@!!!

Ship is great plenty of things to do for kids regardless the age...... enjoy!!

Have also done both and Apr is generally better weather. On our last Feb cruise it was not only chilly the first and last sea day, there was a front that followed us from Cozumal, to Grand Cayman (where we had to tender on another side of the Island and all water activities were cancelled) and than to Jamica (where we couldn't dock at all due to winds). Lots of disappointed passengers on that cruise. On Grand Cayman, I was told those types of fronts are common during the winter.

As far as Apr, because many Mexicans take a vacation during Easter week, the immigration will be longer on Easter Sunday. If at all possible - do self debarkation or just plan on staying on the ship for several extra hours.

Have also done both and Apr is generally better weather. On our last Feb cruise it was not only chilly the first and last sea day, there was a front that followed us from Cozumal, to Grand Cayman (where we had to tender on another side of the Island and all water activities were cancelled) and than to Jamica (where we couldn't dock at all due to winds). Lots of disappointed passengers on that cruise. On Grand Cayman, I was told those types of fronts are common during the winter.

As far as Apr, because many Mexicans take a vacation during Easter week, the immigration will be longer on Easter Sunday. If at all possible - do self debarkation or just plan on staying on the ship for several extra hours.

Don't bother with self debarkation...... doesn't work Easter weekend!!!

We did the Voyager Easter week (March 28-April 4, 2010). Yes, there were a lot of Mexicans, but it was fine. Announcements were made in both English and Spanish, so that caused the announcements to drag on longer than usual. Also because of the Mexicans, the dining staff did not do "Deep in the Heart of Texas" or "America the Beautiful" Friday night. As for customs, get a porter -- you'll get through quicker.

We have cruised in February before, and the weather close to Galveston can be iffy. But the weather in the ports-of-call should be great.

While you are at it, check the prices for the Mariner of the Seas for Galveston 2012. They were good last time I checked. You can always reserve now for, what, $200 per person deposit. If you later cancel you get the deposit back. This way you get a good choice of cabins. Or you may want to book the Voyager of the Seas again, out of New Orleans in 2012.

How old are your kids? My grandkids like Adventure Ocean (for kids up to age 11). Also, we find that connecting cabins work really great for families -- kids in one cabin, mom & pop in the other.

I assume you are flying from LA to Houston. Be sure to fly in on Saturday. We find it easiest to stay at a hotel near the airport and go to Galveston on Sunday, but some prefer to go to Galveston on Saturday. Also,don't book too early a flight on your return -- it takes over an hour to get from Galveston to Houston Bush/Intercontinental airport. If you can fly into Houston Hobby airport (Southwest Airlines?), this is closer to Galveston.

Oh...One more thing that might make a difference on which month you pick. What ports? One route goes to Cayman and Jamaica, another route goes to Roatan and Belize. Both go to Cozumel.

Have fun. The Voyager of the Seas is a great ship.

Archived