Do you Get Travel Insurance?

We have gone both ways. My opinion is that if you will be traveling a lot and can aford to lose the cost of the trip, then skip the trip. You sayings wil offset the loss if you missed the sailing.

However, the medical side of insurance is another story. As you get older or if you have problems it probably is a good idea to get medical coverage.

Take it easy! And watch for pre-existing conditions policies. You may not be covered for your shoulder if it's already hurt. ;) But, any of you could trip on the stairs and break a leg, too.:p

Hey - hope it wasn't my Facebook pic that made you hit the weights too hard! :eek:

Oh oh... I'll have my Dr's work around it :P

Feels like a tricep that's going out.. feel like my elbow is going to bend the opposite way..

YES! I have to keep up with the ladies!!

Never heard of a domestic (as in US) policy that will cover anything out of the country....I am truely impressed with the employer who could afford such a policy for their employees.....

I know that my health provider from each of my employers over the last 20 years has covered me when out of the country. Most of my family and friends also have similar insurance. No, I don't work for the government.

A few years back I started a poll on cruisecritic about this very subject. And more often than not, people replied that their health provider covers them when out of the country. Also, many people replied that they really are not sure whether they are covered or not.

Are you sure that you are not already covered?

Get it!

I am employed by a well-known rehabilitation hospital in NJ, and am involved in admitting new patients to the facility. I cannot tell you how many of our patients are admitted from out of the area by air ambulance. Unfortunately, most of these individuals were on vacation when their injuries occurred. Here's hoping none of you will ever need it, but you do want to have it IF you do need it.

Be safe and careful!

ONe thing, I did not read all, but did not see it, you must buy the TI within 15 days or so of your booking, I guess if not the price may go higher

In order to be covered for pre-existing conditions, you must buy the policy within 15 days of booking your cruise.

Your never too young to get it. We booked a cruise earlier this month on a thursday. On Saturday morning, my 28 year old wife's appendix ruptured and the cruise we booked was just three weeks later. She recovered well and we were able to go, but I would have stayed home if we wouldn't have had travel insurance, just in case she had a problem on the trip.

I know that my health provider from each of my employers over the last 20 years has covered me when out of the country. Most of my family and friends also have similar insurance. No, I don't work for the government.

A few years back I started a poll on cruisecritic about this very subject. And more often than not, people replied that their health provider covers them when out of the country. Also, many people replied that they really are not sure whether they are covered or not.

Are you sure that you are not already covered?

Yep absolutely.....not covered and with any of the various policies my employers have provided....now in the UK and Canada I think it is a different...so I would really really look into what you have and what you think you have....

This is tooooo big a deal to make a mistake about. The cost of the protection is so small when compared to the possible loss....even missing a flight and then missing the ship is covered soooo I will continue to purchase Insurance when a trip costs more than $1000 (that is my personal rule).

BTW sorry if I came across rude but I really don't know anyone in my circle of cruising or vacationing friends who is covered by their personal medical insurance....that being said I did have surgery on day two of my Hawaiian vacation about 4 yrs ago....my insurance company actually tried to say I planned for that!!!! ahhhh ya right....we still had to pay for our ocean front room while I was in the hospital for 3 days! Bummer

Happy cruising and may you never need your insurance!

Actually, the RCL insurance does provide for medi-vac. It may not be the best deal, but it's pretty good, and does include 75% back if you cancel for any reason not covered by the 100% back portion.

We took out travel insurance from the first time we started to travel as a family. Even though we might of been considered too young to "need it" our parents were aging and we never knew what their situation would be. It's such a small amount in comparison to the cost of the trip. Be smart and buy it.

Vicki

Yep. Just past my 50th BD. Healthy as a horse.(At least that's what I thought). That weird heartburn came back again while at the craps table in Atlantic City. Of course, with in the US it was all covered by my insurance.

Not cruising without extra insurance.

Mr. Murphy and I are very well acquainted. Remember, Murphy's Law.

Rule#1 Whatever can go wrong, will.:D

I would always recommend getting Travel insurance. DOn't leave home without it. I have a friend that didnt and they had to be air lifted back home and it was in the 6 figures. Most of the time you won't use it but you can't afford to be without it in case you do.

Get it!

I am employed by a well-known rehabilitation hospital in NJ, and am involved in admitting new patients to the facility. I cannot tell you how many of our patients are admitted from out of the area by air ambulance. Unfortunately, most of these individuals were on vacation when their injuries occurred. Here's hoping none of you will ever need it, but you do want to have it IF you do need it.

Be safe and careful!

I would always recommend getting Travel insurance. DOn't leave home without it. I have a friend that didnt and they had to be air lifted back home and it was in the 6 figures. Most of the time you won't use it but you can't afford to be without it in case you do.

Outside of being hurt while on the ship, what kind of injury would require anyone to be airlifted to the states. Wouldn't you have to be in a medical facilities, that might be capble of providing some care, to arrange the airlift:confused:

www.quotewright.com

Through the TA. Better coverage, lower price.

We have never purchased insurance before but our Med trip has us rethinking. Checked with our medical insurance provider (BC/BS) - no coverage for any type of medical transport to return home on our plan. It does provide $ for urgent or emergency treatment on ship or abroad, usually must be paid out of pocket, and insured applies for reimbursement once home. We have a friend who had a seizure on an RC ship, offshore Belize. The ship would not allow him to reboard, and the hospital would not say he was fit to fly. Huge, huge cost to fly home.

We carefully read both plans offered by our TA, and found much better rates, and higher coverages online.

If you decide to purchase; as recommended by others, shop around (be aware that some coverages are not available unless you purchase within 10-14 days of booking). We looked at insuremytrip, wrightquote and squaremouth (we like the comparison format on this site best).

Outside of being hurt while on the ship, what kind of injury would require anyone to be airlifted to the states. Wouldn't you have to be in a medical facilities, that might be capble of providing some care, to arrange the airlift:confused:

www.quotewright.com

Any serious condition that requires hospitalization. Like, say, a stroke, heart attack, burst appendix, overwhelming infection that gets into the blood.

You do not have to be over a "certain age" to be affected by any of these. Even if you are treated in a local hospital that is decent (and that can be iffy depending on where you are), you may ultimately need to be sent to a stateside (or wherever you live) hospital for further treatment. The airlift would be arranged by the trip insurance company through a private air ambulance company that they contract with...the hospital does not provide that part, as a rule.

Not to be morose, but these things do happen!

Archived