Need help to plan first time cruise ??

Rescuejb40

Hi I never been on a cruise . So does anyone have any help for me ?? I m 24 and looking to take friends and have fun . What type of cruise should i look for to go on? Also i wondering if anyone could help me on tips for cheap stuff Example like the BOOZZE Card? What is it ? Is it worth it ? Where do u buy it Stuff like that i need to know if anyone had some tips on anything to help me have a fun time Also when i go to book this cruise i don"t wan the people to take avantage of me ??? IM new to this page, Not sure how to check back so if u can email me at Rescuejb40@aol.com

thanks

Jb

If you are interested in partying you may want to take a cruise that includes Cozumel. Carlos and Charlie's, Senor Frog's etc. Royal Caribbean has a bucket of beer special that you buy 6 beers for the price of 5 and they deliver it in a bucket of ice. Drink of the Day is also less money than the normal drinks. Tip a favorite bartender a little extra and you will get "a little extra" in each drink.

We need a little more info from you to help you plan. Do you want a port intensive cruise or do you want more sea days? Stuff like that.

Make the main intent of the cruise "to have fun" and don't do so many things up front that you end up angry when they don't go right. I have read several posts where, by the time the cruiser is ready to go, they are mad at the TA, the cruise line, the airline and everybody they meet along the way.

Cruises are fun vacations and you should really enjoy yours. Be as thrifty as you want but not to the point of letting it get in the way. Let the photographers take as many pictures of you as they want, you don't have to buy any of them but a few might be "perfect pictures". Remember that people's oppinions vary as much as their tastes in music; take them with a grain of salt and don't miss something special because someone else didn't like it. The same goes with food; do your own thing.

There is a world of experience here on the board and you should consider all of it but you should not be controlled by it. I hate comedian shows, love dressing up on formal nights and am not impressed with Italian food and you will hear someone, maybe yourself, who is exactly the opposite. Just have fun in your own way and, when you get back, let us know how it went.

If cost is a concern, you could go on one of those 3 or 4 day cruises, but realize that those cruises use the oldest ships that don't have as many things to do as on the new ships.

You need to find a local travel agent to get you through the hassles of booking a cruise. Once you learn the ins and outs of cruising, then you can go it alone, but for your first one, get a travel agent. You don't pay them anything for their services, but they can save you lots of panic, hassles and trouble when booking your very first cruise.

Inside cabins are the cheapest, so that's probably the best way to go if you're concerned about money. You need to book as early as you can if you want the best choices for a cabin. Some cruise lines have drink cards, but most only have soda cards.

• 2 weeks later...

I got another question so I need a little help on this. I went to a travel agent Sat and wanted to sit down with them but some how they were like well here a book and look over it and it will let ya know about prices and other things u need to know. So I wanted to know a rough ballpark on the price for the cruise. Well I took the books and I looked over and the question I got is, if I get a room on the balcony for 900 bucks for 7 days does this include airfare and meals? If not what does it include? If it only includes the room and your taking a gf or a friend and your staying in the same room do they cut you a break on the room? Example if I go for 7days with my gf and I and it cost 900 buck for the room just for me and its going to cost 900 buck for my gf to go with me to stay in the room. Do they make it a little cheaper for the both of u to stay in the room together? Or does that 900bucks include airfare and food for each person. Because if they just charge 900 bucks for a person and there is nothing involved in the 900 buck just the room it be better to get 2 rooms even know we are going to stay in the same room. Its kind of confusing I know and I m really new to this cruise stuff so if someone can help me out on this email me please RESCUEJB40@AOL.COM

Generally the prices quoted are per person, assuming there will be two people in the cabin.

Some cruise lines charge an extra fee to dine in their specialty restaurants, but meals in thre main dining room, casual buffet, and pool grill are included in the cruise price.

Airfare is rarely included.

The biggest mistake people around here make, is NOT going to a pier that they can drive to. There are several locations in the USA. IF you can drive, you can save a lot of money by not buying airline tickets.

Other than that, read everything you can on this board. Then read reviews on the ships. This will raize questions in your mind that you can get answered.

The prices in the brochure are per person, double occupancy and do not include airfare or port taxes. Meals are included, with the exception of specialty restaurants. If you go sinlge, you will pay 200% of the published price, the cabins are intended for double occupancy. The only beverages included are coffee, tea (iced and hot) some juices, milk and water at the table.

Unfortunately, it sounds like this TA tried to blow you off and did not take you seriously. Perhaps you should do a little homework online before you decide to book. Read through these boards, vist the cruiseline sites and you will get a better idea of what you are looking for. Then, make an appointment with a local TA to help you with your plan.

A couple words of advice, book your own air online, that will save you a lot of money, fly the day prior to your cruise and stay in a hotel and don't buy cruise insurance through the cruise line, you can get it for a whole lot less through a third party. http://www.insuremytrip.com is one many of us here use.

Have fun planning!

Edit to add, here is a good link for you to follow:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/articles.cfm?ID=62

Have got to agree with the above poster. The best thing you can do is reading these boards. When you decide on what cruise line you want to go on this go to that cruise board(for example Princess) and just read. When I first started to cruise I found this board and I read and read and read some more. If you have any questions pleas feel free to ask.

Marilyn

Two things to consider, dining options and dress. Some cruise lines have more dining options than others such as no buffets for dinner or 24hr dining available. Also, some lines require formal dress on some evenings which may or may not be to your liking. In some cases, if not dressed properly you could be denied entry to the dining room or other venues. Decide what you want and let your ta know. Also, I would pay a few extra dollars more to have the experience of a good ta as opposed to doing everything on line.

Don

Archived