ship blocked sunset in Key West

:mad: We were in Key West for a couple days and the Majesty pulled out and blocked the final decent of the sun. It ruined the sunset for a couple thousand people. People line up for sunset a hour ahead of time and we couldn't believe the ship pulled out and turned in the final moments. We had heard the ships are supposed to pull out an hour before sunset. The timeing on this night could not have been worse. It would have been better if the ship had waited a few more minutes until the sun sank into the ocean. Everyone on the ship could see the sunset and the people on land could not.

IT STUNK!!!! I can see why they want the cruise ships out of Key West. At that moment I was ashamed to be going on a cruise a few days later.

:mad: We were in Key West for a couple days and the Majesty pulled out and blocked the final decent of the sun. It ruined the sunset for a couple thousand people. People line up for sunset a hour ahead of time and we couldn't believe the ship pulled out and turned in the final moments. We had heard the ships are supposed to pull out an hour before sunset. The timeing on this night could not have been worse. It would have been better if the ship had waited a few more minutes until the sun sank into the ocean. Everyone on the ship could see the sunset and the people on land could not.

IT STUNK!!!! I can see why they want the cruise ships out of Key West. At that moment I was ashamed to be going on a cruise a few days later.

Yeah My mom lives in Key West, and I would say its unfortunate because 90% of the locals on the Island want the Cruise Ships out. The major beef is just that the Cruise ships make the port areas crowded and block sunset, and many many of the cruise ship tourists don't spend much money while they are in port because (and understandably) save it for the carribean ports, there really isn't much incentive for locals to be welcoming right now.

Yeah My mom lives in Key West, and I would say its unfortunate because 90% of the locals on the Island want the Cruise Ships out. The major beef is just that the Cruise ships make the port areas crowded and block sunset, and many many of the cruise ship tourists don't spend much money while they are in port because (and understandably) save it for the carribean ports, there really isn't much incentive for locals to be welcoming right now.

It is sad and totally understandable. I've been to KW twice (by cruise ship) and loved it so much that we're planning to take a land-based trip there someday so we can see the sunset, among other things. And both times we've gone we've made sure to spend some $$ there for the reasons that you mention.

But I can totally understand why the locals want the ships out. And I thought the ships HAD to be out of that port way before sunset. How maddening.

I agree with the locals on this one! The big ships just don't fit in there. Hope the locals win and we'll definitely make a land trip back to Key West. What a fun place to visit. I like the fact that you can walk everywhere. I'll definitely stay longer next time.

It's ironic that you should all side with the locals who want the ships out. Do you realize that the locals of places like Cozumel and St. Maarten also do not like the cruise ships? They would rather have those who come to visit for a week. They, too, say that the cruise passengers just come in and clog all the beaches and don't spend any money. They are trying to make all cruise passengers pay a substantial tax for coming.

My wife and I were visiting Key West back in June '04, and we stayed for 2 nights at the Hilton/key West, in what was described as an *ocenfront* room. Well, the room itself WAS terrific, and DID face the ocean...what the front desk did NOT tell us was that the cruise ships (Royal Carribean both days) docked right outside our balcony...so much for the *oceanfront* part of our room. We spoke with hotel management, and they adjusted our room rate down by $20 per night, but still we were disapointed.

Mike

Stretch has a point, as he/she/they often do/does.

Any high-tourist area, the locals bemoan the way tourists act and spend money, but the truth is, tourism is the No. 1 industry in most of those places. Way of the world.

I also agree tourists are tight with the bucks in Key West. On the three cruises we've been there, it's basically a short stop before heading elsewhere. If the weather's hot, you get the urge to snorkel or swim ... but on all three, it's been relatively cool (60s in the morning, when we've docked) and you don't exactly feel like jumping in a catamaran and heading out snorkeling (although we did twice, and loved it both times).

As for the sunsets, hey, those on the cruise ships sure got to see it, eh?

Stretch has a point, as he/she/they often do/does.

Any high-tourist area, the locals bemoan the way tourists act and spend money, but the truth is, tourism is the No. 1 industry in most of those places. Way of the world.

I also agree tourists are tight with the bucks in Key West. On the three cruises we've been there, it's basically a short stop before heading elsewhere. If the weather's hot, you get the urge to snorkel or swim ... but on all three, it's been relatively cool (60s in the morning, when we've docked) and you don't exactly feel like jumping in a catamaran and heading out snorkeling (although we did twice, and loved it both times).

As for the sunsets, hey, those on the cruise ships sure got to see it, eh?

Sorry my "point" was so short lived, looks like someone hit the old yellow triangle on me. Censorship at it's best, you gotta love this board. Flirting with condemnation, I still say that an occasional ship blocking a sunset is not the end of the world, it's not like the sun only sets once in a lifetime.

Stretch

kbnovak - I would love to see your photo, but I am blocked from looking at it. :confused:

We were in Key West on the Vision once and we certainly spent the money while there. Food, drinks, souvenirs and 4 of us took the conch train tour, directly from the vendor (not a ships excursion.)

I'll bet the 1,000 cruisers on the starboard side of the ship saw a most spectacular sunset that day, while the 1,000 on the port side thought that all those people on the shore were looking at their ship. :D

On all the cruises I have been on, I have only been able to see a couple of really spectacular sun sets. It never fails that the clouds are in the way for most of them. :(

Stretch got deleted, so my post agreeing with him doesn't make too much sense ... like a lot of my posts.

Final thought on Key West. They say it's zany come lobster hunting time. Also hot. And the sun sets later.

Yes, but the mooning comes out during Fantasy Fest!

Stretch

I really enjoy cruising but do not want to be an unwanted guest in anybody's home. I do not want to feel ashamed of enjoying cruising. It is the cruise line's responsibility to keep us welcome in these ports and the passenger's responsibility to respect the ports we visit.

If a person goes to Key West or lives in Key West because of the sunsets than even one blocked by the ship is too many. We never know when our last sunset will be so in this instance, I do not agree with you Stretch.

I really enjoy cruising but do not want to be an unwanted guest in anybody's home. I do not want to feel ashamed of enjoying cruising. It is the cruise line's responsibility to keep us welcome in these ports and the passenger's responsibility to respect the ports we visit.

If a person goes to Key West or lives in Key West because of the sunsets than even one blocked by the ship is too many. We never know when our last sunset will be so in this instance, I do not agree with you Stretch.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. Do you think those residents go into a panic on a cloudy day??? :confused:

Stretch

It's not like a few thousand condo's don't already block the sunset on a majority of Florida beaches. I don't see everyone saying to pull all the tax money out though.

If the biggest thing I had to worry about was getting a view of a sunset than I'd be all set. Sunset that is..... ;)

It's not like a few thousand condo's don't already block the sunset on a majority of Florida beaches. I don't see everyone saying to pull all the tax money out though.

If the biggest thing I had to worry about was getting a view of a sunset than I'd be all set. Sunset that is..... ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself. They out to make Hilton tear down that hotel on Mallory Square don't you think?? And what about all those trees?????

Stretch

What a nice post..yes, it is a shame.

The way this board has been lately, I was bracing to come in the post to see...

"The ship blocked the sunset in Key West etc........

.....and I deserve to be compensated for missing it!"

roflol.gif

36_11_6.gif

Stretch

I've never been to Key West. How many days per week is a boat "blocking" the view?

Tourism can be a pain to locals anywhere in the world. Many people and places couldn't survive w/o tourist dollars.

I have to say that with all that goes on in this world, to get so upset about a blocked view seems rather petty.

Archived