ship blocked sunset in Key West

[quote name='bpear1600']Allen, you seem to know a lot about Key West. Do you remember a TV show by the same name which ran for a half season in 1993 before it was cancelled? Jennifer Tilly was one of the stars.

A lot of scenes were apparently shot in a bar where a former neighbor in Surfside was a barmaid at the time. She says she had a speaking role and has a bunch of pictures of herself with actors on the show.

Do you remember the show and/or the bar at which it was filmed? Just curious.
Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob, I remember the show, but it seems like it was only on for a few episodes and then disappeared. I remember being very disappointed in its demise. I found a link to the show:

[url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106045/"][color=#606420]"Key West" (1993)[/color][/url]

It doesn't mention the bar, though. It seems like it was a small one near the lower third of Duval Street which has since gone out of business. If not that, it might have been the Green Parrot, a block over from Duval on Whitehead Street (?). It is one of the oldest and funkiest of the Key West bars. I'm sure it wasn't one of the more well-known bars like Sloppy Joe's, Captain Tony's, The Hog's Breath Saloon, or Rick's. Maybe a Key West resident will stumble on to this thread and provide better information than I can.

Allen

This doesn't have anything to do with Key West and am not scheduled to take my first cruise until next Jan. on the Rhapsody, but cruise ships and sunsets can work the other way also. Last Sept. while in Kona, my DW and I were at the Kona Inn to have a romantic sunset dinner (Kona Inn is supposed to have the best view) and much to our disappointment, there was a cruise ship anchored in the middle of the harbor blocking the path of the sun. Just as the sun was getting to that point in the sky where the colors turn magnificent, the ship weighed anchor and cleared the view. Now I have some terrific pictures of a Kona sunset, and also a very nice silhouette of a beautiful cruise ship. It just goes to show you that timing is everything. 10 minutes later, it would have been the pits. Maybe that ship in Key West was waiting for a group that was running late.

On cruises, like i said, you have some days where an island, ship, cloud etc etc may block your view, and some days you will see the most magnificiant sight of your life! Nothing really you can do about it!

On the Legend on new years eve our view of the fireworks was blocked by an island as we were pulling away for about 5 minutes, however, that wasn't the ships/captain's fault, they had to leave port at 1145, it wasn't panama's fault for timing, it is just one of those things that happens!

Surprised no one has corrected me on the weighing anchor thing from my last post. While searching for info on the Rhapsody of the Seas, I found out that most of the newer ships have a GPS positioning system that makes anchors obsolete. Being a diver, that made me feel very good!

[quote name='budaman']Surprised no one has corrected me on the weighing anchor thing from my last post. While searching for info on the Rhapsody of the Seas, I found out that most of the newer ships have a GPS positioning system that makes anchors obsolete. Being a diver, that made me feel very good![/QUOTE]

Hey Buda man..

Where the heck is Buda???

We have been on Rhapsody 3 times...They have used the anchor 3 times.

Buda is about 10 miles south of Austin. The report I read, said they use the GPS system where there is a danger of hurting the coral reef system. I guess where they anchor, ther isn't any coral or its been destroyed already by previous generations. I wish Jan. '06 wasn't so far away!

Ok..Gotta luv Austin..Never heard of Buda though:)
You've probably never heard of Dickinson either,however you will drive right through it,about 13 miles before Galveston.

Don't worry.The time will fly by..And what a great insentive to save money.Everytime I want to buy something I Say..huuummm what can I use this on my cruise for..(we booked in Nov,for Oct 05)
You will love the Rhapsody.
We decided to venture out and try something different.It has been a while since I have sailed from anywhere but Galveston,and I really need a change.
But the Rhapsody is great,especially if she gets back on a regular Itinerary.This whole Costa Maya thing has really stirred things up.
We were on in Sept,actually during Ivan.We were the first group to miss GC.
Also missed Key West.(darned hurricane blocked my sunset:D )
So we did Belize ,CM and Coz...Still had a great trip,because the Captain was great,made sure we got in 3 ports,and the crew was wonderful.
Anyway..Have fun.And enjoy the planning.

Will actually be meeting up with a guy from Dickinson next month for a motorcycle ride through all the Painted Churches in Fayette Co. Being put on by a group out of Houston. Hope Cayman is back on by Jan. We have a condo @ Morritts on the east end of Grand Cayman and it got hit pretty hard. We've been trading it out for a place in Hawaii the last few years and haven't been to it since Ivan. They say the resort will be up and running by the end of summer.

Why would anyone assume this is all the op has to worry about? With all that goes on in the world a beautiful sunset can be very soothing. Sounds like it could have been prevented from being blocked with a little differant timing.

I experienced this there once and I'll never forget the darling honeymoon couple standing there waiting for the sunset and the older couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, (him in a wheel chair), only to miss the sunset because of poor timing of the ship pulling out. The audible dissapointment of the crowd, the finger waves at the ship. Clouds are one thing, that is nature, if it gives people joy, let them get it where they can and not rain on their parade.:(

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='xpcdoojk']Well that depends if you are a local shop owner, bar owner, restaurant owner or tour operator, you love the cruise ships. If you are one of the local and you don't believe in capitalism and you just want to live in paradise people, then you hate them. It is all a matter of perspective. If you ever spend a little time there in Key West you quickly learn that about 85% of them think that economics is evil.

jc[/QUOTE]

Actually I have to disagree, the only businesses that really benefit from the Cruise lines are those that are usually in a two block radius of the Cruise Port. My Mom's a merchant in KW, was in a store that was on the Cruise line "tour' or recommended stops, the cruise passengers would come in for their free gift and leave.
And Bars, restaurants, etc happen to do much better from land based over cruise.
And true many people do move to KW to get away from it all and don't want to deal with large commercial vessels in a town that used to be an artists colony.

[quote name='akia29']Actually I have to disagree, the only businesses that really benefit from the Cruise lines are those that are usually in a two block radius of the Cruise Port. My Mom's a merchant in KW, was in a store that was on the Cruise line "tour' or recommended stops, the cruise passengers would come in for their free gift and leave.
And Bars, restaurants, etc happen to do much better from land based over cruise.
And true many people do move to KW to get away from it all and don't want to deal with large commercial vessels in a town that used to be an artists colony.[/QUOTE]

OK, I agree with you. I would like to amend my statement, to read, only those bars, tour operators, and shops that make a lot of money off the cruise ships. I am sure that there are some though that make a lot more than others off the cruiseships. Not to mention the dollars the city of Key West makes from the port taxes.

jc

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=slategray]Who in the world decided to resurect this dead horse????[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#708090]Move on with your life and let it go, already![/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#708090]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='akia29']And true many people do move to KW to get away from it all and don't want to deal with large commercial vessels in a town that used to be an artists colony.[/QUOTE]

There have always been quite a few artists and writers living in Key West, many of whom achieved worldwide acclaim, but they've always been a very small minority compared to the service industries, the salvagers, the native Conchs, the drug runners and the rum runners before them, the fishermen, the pleasure boats, etc. etc. In fact, around 1940, Key West had the dubious distinction of being the poorest community in the entire United States. Its emergence as a tourist destination is what rescued Key West from that plight, and if tourism (including the cruise ships) were to be discontinued, the Key West economy would shrivel up once again.

Allen

[quote name='celtic selke']Now, now stretch. This was a tragedy of epic proportions that probably will haunt the op for life.

Have some sympathy. Something like this leaves scars.

And all others traveling to Key West, be warned.

THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

celtic[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]I'm truly sorry that I forgot that this tragedy rivals the tsunami in S.E. Asia, how stupid of me! :confused: To think that those poor, starving, artistic KW locals had to endure an entire day without a sunset is, well....... unforgivable. :eek: RCI should give everyone that was in Key West that day a free cruise for this unimaginably gross act of disconcern. Shame on them!:( [/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Now, can this poor dead horse be just left alone??????[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

Celtic, I am indeed over this and have moved on with my life. No scars. You assume otherwise.

Stretch is a good name for you Stretch. You stretch the words people use. The only one who compared this to the tsunami is YOU! Now, why don't YOU let this die? I certainly had tried to do so.

Thank you to all who understood and didn't judge me.:)

Archived