Great Gift Ideas for the Crew

Cruise2Karaoke

If you would get off your high American horse of a moment, you would realize that union wage in Germany and the rest of the EU is a lot higher than in the US. In this country, workers do not need a second or third job to support their families, as a lot of people need to do in your wonderful country. People in this country do not rely on tips to get by, like waitresses in your country that have to drool over customers like a slave. Cleaning hotelrooms is not a high-income job in any country. Yes, it will pay the bills, but if you have 5 kids and a husband on welfare, you cannot afford to treat your kids to a night out.

You make it sound like I run a sweat shop here. We pay our staff above union wage, and give them holiday money, Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, etc. I do not ask my staff what they do with their money, but I still observe they really appreciate that little extra from a guest.

Based on this post, I think that your horse must be much higher! I'm American and proud!!!!!

Hi guys! Late to the party here. I posted earlier as Nunu but due to some unfortunate circumstances (namely getting the boot for a few weeks for being a "conflict" poster lol), so I'm here under this name for now. I hope that makes sense.

There's 6 of us. My wife and myself (40's) daughter and her bf (21,19), son (15) and MIL Trudy (80? who knows).

Flying in from Ontario the day before and staying at the Admiral Semmes.

Starting to get the groove going for cruising. :D

On my last cruise the room Stewart said how much he enjoyed my singing in the bathroom while he was busy cleaning. So on the last day I left him a cd I had made of me performing. OMG the look on his face was priceless! He even gave me a big hug lol! I'm planning on bringing half a dozen cd's on my next cruise to reward some of the crew for their hard work. They all seem to be such music lovers.

Does anyone else have any great gift ideas?

I sure hope you are joking about this.. If not, I am sure you are quite popular on the crew deck as this poor room steward tells this story over and over again to a laughing table of fellow crew members! Why on earth would a cabin steward from a 3rd world country, who is dirt poor want a cd of you singing "karoke". Most people can't stand Karoke live in person, much less on a homemade cd! Cash is king. try that next time to avoid being the butt of future jokes on the crew deck

Yes, it looks like it's a joke to me if you read the OP's other posts. It's a cute schtick though.

On my last cruise the room Stewart said how much he enjoyed my singing in the bathroom while he was busy cleaning. So on the last day I left him a cd I had made of me performing. OMG the look on his face was priceless! He even gave me a big hug lol! I'm planning on bringing half a dozen cd's on my next cruise to reward some of the crew for their hard work. They all seem to be such music lovers.

I hope your joking that is really rude in my opinion. All they want is some money. The guy was being nice to you...... I hope you realize that and also gave him some cash for having to listen to you sing. And why would the steward be in the room at the same time as you taking a shower. That's strange too................................

I hope your joking that is really rude in my opinion. All they want is some money. The guy was being nice to you...... I hope you realize that and also gave him some cash for having to listen to you sing. And why would the steward be in the room at the same time as you taking a shower. That's strange too................................

Did I say I was in the shower? :confused: Why are you being so mean? :(

My husband works overseas a lot and speaks a lot of languages. Give the stewards cash and not some gift-thing that they don't want. They live in very small spaces and come from different cultures. My husband's heard crew make horrid remarks to each other about women who act too friendly to crew speaking in their language. These folks are not your best friends and are going to be extremely nice to you because it is their job (and they want their tip.)

You forgot one:

13 who point out how cheap CCL is for using foreign made light bulbs and should be Made in USA

but foreign bulbs burn with a brighter quality, don't quit after being on for 10 hours a day and cost less to run............

So...you do know that the title is Steward and not Stewart? This poster wasn't exactly making a joke...:confused:

It is not nice to make fun on one's intelligence level not mock a fellow poster.

I think the OP has a good heart and is trying to do things the nicest way they know how.

• 2 months later...
I read in some post that a cruiser left a bottle of booze (bought on board) for his steward. That seems cool, but again, maybe the cash equivalent would be more greatly appreciated.

A bottle of booze for someone who may be a Muslim or some other religion that does not drink. That really shows cultural sensitivity. Can I assume that there was a copy of the King James bible attached to the booze bottle?

DON

im very new to cruising,hahah so new i havent gone yet, and i love reading all the posts people make, but sometimes i think there is a big difference in new cruisers and the very experienced ones.

for one the ideas of gifts was wonderful to me, all of them. i will leave extra money and maybe some candy, i would imagine if they didnt want it they would share with a friend.

i will also remember to write the comment cards and will remember if someone was wonderful to send a letter hopefully getting them a raise.

i will sing in the shower, badly i assure you and prolly just in the bathroom :) if someone likes my voice , i wont ask if they are deaf or insane as both are prolly true or wait maybe its just good manners.

and i will remember to try and be nice to other people on this site who are very helpful with sharing.

Yes, it looks like it's a joke to me if you read the OP's other posts. It's a cute schtick though.

Yes, I think it is a cute schtick. I agree with you.

To my understanding a cabin steward is not allowed to service the cabin while it is occupied by the passenger. I have heard where the passenger stepped out on their balcony while towels were changed. Even in Hotel housekeeping it is against policy to have the guest remain in the room, shower, toilet or closet for that matter; while housekeeping takes place. IMHO

As far a tipping goes CASH is king and international phone cards are a prince.:p

Hi all!

Recently John Heald posted on his blog that the crew, of course, prefers to receive cash but that one their favorite gift otherwise was baseball caps. He said guys and girls both seemed to get excited about the hats.

I'm not a hat wearer and wouldn't be thrilled but as head CD, you'd think he'd know.

On our recent cruise, we got 2 bottles of champagne gifted to us and we aren't drinkers. One we gave to some people sitting by us but the other was delivered to our cabin. We told the steward he could have it but he said he wasn't allowed to accept alcohol. I had never heard that before and don't know if he just didn't really want it or if he really couldn't take it. We did leave it in the cabin (with cash :)) when we left.

We usually tip them right when we get there (to keep our beer cold in the cabin) and I also pack a big bag of candy that I wrap tips for room service and give what is left to the steward. Last year I brought my kids gameboy advances that they were no longer using along with games for them and our steward and asst. steward were very happy with them. They were going to see their kids after our cruise and it was all good!!! I figure you can only get a few dollars in a garage sale for them and why not make someone else happy.

thanks crusin4fun323 for posting this:

Recently John Heald posted on his blog that the crew, of course, prefers to receive cash but that one their favorite gift otherwise was baseball caps. He said guys and girls both seemed to get excited about the hats.

I'm not a hat wearer and wouldn't be thrilled but as head CD, you'd think he'd know

this is a great idea. they will be easy too pack and i can set it upside down and put a envelope in it with a little money. i am going too start looking for one that represents the area i live in. :)

On my last cruise the room Stewart ....the look on his face was priceless! ..... They all seem to be such music lovers.

The look on your Stewards face must have been like the Butler in the Eddie Murphy movie Trading Places when he was given a $5 Christmas Bonus... He said "Maybe I'll go to the movies - by myself"

trading_places02.jpg

I'm just wondering if your husnband reminded him that the CD was from both of you!

On my last cruise the room Stewart said how much he enjoyed my singing in the bathroom while he was busy cleaning.
I'm guessing it was the video he was enjoying, not so much the audio.

Oh, and it's a room steward, whose name might have been Stewart.

Archived