Looking for the honest truth... will a Celebrity Cruise be super snobby?

paulandfran

We've been doing mostly land vacations for the past 10 years with a few cruises thrown in each year. Usually Carnival or Royal Caribbean because they have ships that sail out of the ports closest to us. I haven't sailed Celebrity in awhile but was thinking of returning due to the great smoking policy (not allowing smoking on balconies). Love that! But... after reading some posts and based on some snooty comments I've received I'm wondering if Celebrity will be a good fit. I mean I can play the game and act the part but since I have to be in "business mode" for my business and hubby's career year round I'd really prefer an unpretentious atmosphere for a vacation. I'm not a party animal by any stretch and I'm usually in bed before midnight on a cruise but I'm also hoping to avoid a stuffy experience with lots of snooty judgmental people. I sailed Cunard once and swore I'd never go back. Has Celebrity become like that too? I'm hoping not but looking for the hard truth.

Thanks,

Francie

As with any large group of people, you will probably find some snobby ones on Celebrity cruises but as a whole, I have not experienced it.

Going on our first Celebrity cruise next month (Sostice.) After reading the many past threads on the dress code, and the old-timers (kidding) insisting on the rules, I bought my first tuxedo (ever) to wear for formal nights (hey, e-bay is pretty cheap.) Now it seems like all recent reports of attire mentions that dress is far more casual than the boards lead you to believe, and that men in tuxedos are a very small minority. Now I'm worried that I will feel out-of-place, and I never wanted to be "super snobby." Ouch!

Tuxes have been in the majority on all our Celebrity cruises. Yes, and eBay is great for formal wear - mens and womens.

Sue

I was starting to have the same worry, but on our Celebrity cruise there were plenty of men in tuxedos, and some women in long gowns as well as plenty of cocktail dresses. I couldn't tell you if every guy wore a suit, frankly didn't notice everyone's clothes all that much, but the general impression was that everyone had taken the trouble to dress up a bit. People got a little bit smartened up for non-formal dinners too. But I didn't get a "snobby" feeling from anyone we met: everyone seemed to be dressing up for the fun of it rather than to prove how superior they were, and after dinner, guys who had changed out of their tuxes because the tuxes had shrunk since they bought them, mixed happily with people still in their formal gear, and we all had a great time.

Francie,

I feel very much like you do. Therefore we were a bit anxious before our Equinox cruise last November. However it was a fabulous experience ; very relaxing and interesting. The cruise was high quality, but we never felt like people were snobby or too stuck up to enjoy themselves. We will definitely go again.

Martine

Francie' date=' the "hard truth" is that Celebrity is very middle of the road, middle America. For the most part, pax are very average people. With 2-3,000 people on a ship, you will encounter every age group, every socio-economic group.

Many posters here are very opinionated and they are not shy to keep repeating their views. But, keep in mind, that this is a forum, and not the real thing.

Take your cruise. You will love it.

By the way, when is baby due?[/quote']

Hey, please don't forget the Brits

This is my very first cruise (age 60) and we have been able to get enough for the Connection Party. Have not met any of the people on our thread but they all sound like great fun with one thing in common. Love to travel. I am looking forward to wearing my new gown for the Formal evening tho. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for Celebrity so go ahead and book!!!

I was starting to have the same worry, but on our Celebrity cruise there were plenty of men in tuxedos, and some women in long gowns as well as plenty of cocktail dresses. I couldn't tell you if every guy wore a suit, frankly didn't notice everyone's clothes all that much, but the general impression was that everyone had taken the trouble to dress up a bit. People got a little bit smartened up for non-formal dinners too. But I didn't get a "snobby" feeling from anyone we met: everyone seemed to be dressing up for the fun of it rather than to prove how superior they were, and after dinner, guys who had changed out of their tuxes because the tuxes had shrunk since they bought them, mixed happily with people still in their formal gear, and we all had a great time.

Glad to hear that other people have the same problem with their clothes mysteriously shrinking.

We ran into lots of friendly people. We were probably a bit younger than the average on our cruise (14d Ancient Empires-Europe). Many were nice or kept to themselves in the hot tub. I didn't feel as if I had to talk to someone just b/c they were within 5 feet from me. Make sense?

Also, I am sure you know about cruise ship policies about cruising while pregnant. Don't forget the note from your doctor. Have fun and congrats on all the exciting changes in your life. Enjoy each moment you have with your little one in the womb!

We've been doing mostly land vacations for the past 10 years with a few cruises thrown in each year. Usually Carnival or Royal Caribbean because they have ships that sail out of the ports closest to us. I haven't sailed Celebrity in awhile but was thinking of returning due to the great smoking policy (not allowing smoking on balconies). Love that! But... after reading some posts and based on some snooty comments I've received I'm wondering if Celebrity will be a good fit. I mean I can play the game and act the part but since I have to be in "business mode" for my business and hubby's career year round I'd really prefer an unpretentious atmosphere for a vacation. I'm not a party animal by any stretch and I'm usually in bed before midnight on a cruise but I'm also hoping to avoid a stuffy experience with lots of snooty judgmental people. I sailed Cunard once and swore I'd never go back. Has Celebrity become like that too? I'm hoping not but looking for the hard truth.

Thanks,

Francie

Not at all. In my opinion it is a nicer experience than Carnival or Royal. I don't really care for Belly Flop Contests or hairy leg contests.

I didn't note any difference in passenger makeup or attitude on our recent Summit cruise from any of our other cruises. We enjoyed all of our conversations with those we met during the week. But then we didn't interact with all 2300 :). Certainly will meet all kinds when you have thousands of people on board. Definitely more laid back and subdued though, which we liked but our kids weren't as thrilled.

Going on our first Celebrity cruise next month (Sostice.) After reading the many past threads on the dress code, and the old-timers (kidding) insisting on the rules, I bought my first tuxedo (ever) to wear for formal nights (hey, e-bay is pretty cheap.) Now it seems like all recent reports of attire mentions that dress is far more casual than the boards lead you to believe, and that men in tuxedos are a very small minority. Now I'm worried that I will feel out-of-place, and I never wanted to be "super snobby." Ouch!

Hey Jerry/Shelly can you do us a favor? Since you're going to be in the tux minority (IMO) can you do a quick survery and lets us know how many other men are dressed in tux's on your cruise. :confused:

Actually, it sounds as if you and Celebrity are a better fit than your previous cruises. Never experienced "snotty behavior"- very friendly and pleasant group with better manners than I have experienced on other mainstream lines. I particularly love the Solstice class. Whatever you do, have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

We just finished our 9th cruise on X (the review's buried here somewhere on the board - Infinity to Alaska from Seattle, 8/27/10) and while I wouldn't say we're even remotely snobby or snooty - our tastes are very prole, we sail in an inside cabin, we skulk around in extremely casual clothing except for the dining room (I think I was the only person on the cruise with very loud flip-flops, padding up and down the stairs) - we are definitely not social. We're introverts who have found ourselves in a profession requiring a lot of interaction with people, and so when vacation comes, we prefer to talk to as few people as possible. And the three of us get our own table - we seldom get to dine together at home - tried dining at a large table once and it was an absolute disaster. But if we wind up meeting people while playing trivia, or if someone tries to strike up a conversation in the buffet line etc., we certainly can be friendly and chatty. Overall, we'd be this way on ANY cruise line; I do admit we haven't tried Carnival or RC because they sound a little too wild for us. Princess is probably off the list - we saw those HUGE blazing video screens on the top deck from across the Alaskan harbors, and that is just too Las Vegas! - T

Whatever ship you sail on, there will a ton of really nice folks! If you do run across some pains in the bu#$, just avoid them! There are plenty of venues and activities and tables that you can seek out to get away from the (few) folks who gripe all the time, or brag all the time, or (gasp! :eek:) don't always dress properly.

We are now Elite Captain's Club cruisers, who have sailed on other lines, and prefer Celebrity. We have met some of the most educated, fascinating, and FUN folks on our voyages. Celebrity cruisers do tend to be a bit older (older is anyone older than me, and I am in the Medicare generation) but most of us older folks are young at heart and ready for fun.

I hope the OP does have a great time on a Celebrity ship. Go with an open mind, eschew the bores, and roll with the punches.

Archived