Is a suite really...sweet?

I was in a suite on the Dream and truthfully, IMO it was no big deal. The room itself is bigger and had a beautiful wet bar area w/o a sink. There was a small dressing/make-up area, double sinks in the bathroom and a very narrow tub with jets. Oh and of course VIP boarding.

There was an error in pricing, which is why we ended up with the suite. I've been in a mini-suite on Princess and that was much nicer.

Hi!

I was thinking of upgrading my balcony rooms for my upcoming family cruise to suites. Can anyone honestly tell me what the differences are and if it's actually worth the extra money?? Thanks so much!!

What class ship? What category suite? How much of a price difference?

We've had only one suite, so there are others who will be able to give you more informed opinions. :) Other than our first and last cruises, we've booked balcony or extended balcony cabins. On our last cruise (Alaska), we booked a Penthouse Suite (now known as Grand Suite) on the Spirit. We absolutely loved all the extra room and, for us, it was worth the extra $$ for the larger balcony since it was Alaska. We just booked our next Alaska cruise (#3!) yesterday and booked a Vista Suite--aft wrap around. I doubt I'd pay for a suite on any itinerary except Alaska.

As PP said, not much in the way of perks. If you're going to upgrade to a suite, do it for the room and not the one perk. ;)

I've only cruised twice. Both times in what they now call aft-wrap Vista Suites on Deck 4 of the Pride and the Spirit. The 220 sq ft balcony was the best perk for me! I lived on those balconies...especially on my Alaska cruise this year. Need I say more? Well, the separate bedroom, living area, dressing area, walk-in closet, etc. were pretty nice, too! However, those suites are only for two, so if you have more family, you'd have to book another cabin also. But, once you're in those aft-wrap suites...you don't want to cruise in any other place!

We were totally spoiled by our suite last time... and I don't see us cruising any other way now.. everytime we talk about booking again we can't seem to bring ourselves to look at anything but the suite prices..

First off there was nothing like boarding the ship in Miami from the VIP lounge and look down at all the cattle being herded through corded lines. The lines weren't moving and it just looked flat out miserable. I just read this paragraph to my husband he said "that's putting it mildly".... we were on the ship and some of the first in line for food at Rosies.. no waiting or looking for a table.

Next... the suite was a great size for us with windows and a big balcony. I LOVED the counter space as the last cruise we were on I couldn't figure out where to put anything! The hubby took a bath in the jetted tub and enjoyed that. The tub was kinda small though... There was plenty of space and the mini bar was great. The lighting was cool in there too... and it just seemed more luxurious without the walls closing in on us.

We got disembarkation #1 and we were in our car a little after 8 am heading home. To us it was absolutely worth the suite just for the VIP boarding, the big balcony, the counter/closet space, and the double sinked bathroom with tub...

I've only cruised twice. Both times in what they now call aft-wrap Vista Suites on Deck 4 of the Pride and the Spirit. The 220 sq ft balcony was the best perk for me! I lived on those balconies...especially on my Alaska cruise this year. Need I say more? Well, the separate bedroom, living area, dressing area, walk-in closet, etc. were pretty nice, too! However, those suites are only for two, so if you have more family, you'd have to book another cabin also. But, once you're in those aft-wrap suites...you don't want to cruise in any other place!

Wow! Lucky you! :D

BTW, a few of the Vista Suites hold more than two--we just booked one yesterday and there are three of us.

lol, a nebulous question, without knowing the price difference... oh yes. Of course its worth "it" ... (ahh, what's it though??)

RCL has a PR (inside with view of a cow's butt) on Freedom, with a suite's perks, concierge lounge etc. Free daily ice cream choice. I would say its sweet, with the ice cream. A sweet suite for sure. :D

midimarv: Hey...you responded to my "wait-list" post! : ) Yes, I realize the upper deck aft-wrap suites hold more people...but I was just referring to Deck 4. Hope I didn't mislead the OP, glad you clarified that for them. I still don't understand why those Deck 4 suites can't hold three? Seems like the same amount of space...just the sofa doesn't convert to a bed?

I also just noticed that you're in Portland...I'm in Salem half of the year. Love Oregon! My daughter and her husband went surfing at Pacific City yesterday.

midimarv: Hey...you responded to my "wait-list" post! : ) Yes, I realize the upper deck aft-wrap suites hold more people...but I was just referring to Deck 4. Hope I didn't mislead the OP, glad you clarified that for them. I still don't understand why those Deck 4 suites can't hold three? Seems like the same amount of space...just the sofa doesn't convert to a bed?

I also just noticed that you're in Portland...I'm in Salem half of the year. Love Oregon! My daughter and her husband went surfing at Pacific City yesterday.

Thought I recognized your user name. :)

I agree--you'd think they'd all hold more than two, but who knows what's behind that. I'm just happy to have one for our next Alaska cruise. I showed a YouTube video walkthrough of the same suite on the Miracle to my family yesterday. They're excited. :D

I'm an Oregon native and have lived here all my life except the first five years of our marriage (lived in Flagstaff, AZ then). But, I don't think I've ever been to Pacific City. We tend to hit the beach from Tillamook on up. :)

We are going on the Freedom...and we are going to have 2 rooms, 6 people. I was wondering if it would be worth getting the extra space since there will be so many of us. What are the sleeping arrangements? Can anyone tell me how multiple people can sleep in the same room? I've had balcony rooms for both cruises I've been on, the first a room to myself and the second with my boyfriend. I want everyone to be happy and comfortable...I am giving tickets to my family to go with us for Christmas :D

I have had two Cat 11 suites--Conquest and Splendor (Spa Suite) and they were 50% larger than a standard cabin. I loved it!!!! I thought it was worth the extra price. I have seen the Cat 12's and they are huge! They are the size of two cabins and the bathroom is huge!!!!!!!

The bathrooms on the suites have a jetted tub with shower, so much nicer than the simple shower stall on most balcony cabins....

We are going on the Freedom...and we are going to have 2 rooms, 6 people. I was wondering if it would be worth getting the extra space since there will be so many of us. What are the sleeping arrangements? Can anyone tell me how multiple people can sleep in the same room? I've had balcony rooms for both cruises I've been on, the first a room to myself and the second with my boyfriend. I want everyone to be happy and comfortable...I am giving tickets to my family to go with us for Christmas :D

Hey brother/sister,

Don't forget to include me on this trip (lol).

Hey brother/sister,

Don't forget to include me on this trip (lol).

Your long lost sister

My mom and I just returned from the Liberty yesterday and loved our suite on the Empress deck. Our favorite part was the VIP boarding! :) We also enjoyed the larger balcony, the dressing room and larger bathroom. We really appreciated the extra closet and drawer space (especially since we both overpacked). The only reason we had this suite was because we were offered a chance to upgrade from an 8B balcony to an oceanview suite for around $200 each (for a 7 day cruise). If we had it to do over, we definitely would book the suite again at this rate.

But as much as we enjoyed the suite and perks, it isn't worth it (for me) unless you can get a really good deal. On our next cruise (Alaska) we are back in a 8C balcony because we couldn't see spending an extra $1,000 each for the ocean view suite. However, if we there were booking a cruise for 3 people, we might have considered it more seriously to allow room for the additional person.

one cruise a friend had a suite....and it was nice but to me NOT worth the extra money

Other lines have more of a "class" system...the haves/have nots LOL

NCL has fantastic (expensive) suites with real suite priveleges...ie, special diningrooms just for suite passengers, seperate pool and hot tubs and patio area for just suites etc, suite concierge etc

Other lines like Celebrity offer butlers for suites and more perks

To me the "priority embark/disimbark" means nothing...I live near the port and get there early and board right after the brides and the wheelchairs

NO problem at all...I love the Port of Miami, so easy

As far as squeezing a bunch of people into a suite room?? I would rather have 2 cabins or whatever. A nice balcony on Carnival (maybe one of the much praised afts?) is a good choice IMHO...I just can't see the benefit of a suite unless it is for a wedding or some huge occaison JMO

I was in a GS on the Spirit for my recent Alaska cruise (pics are in my review. The link is in my signature). I was also in a new Extended Balcony Grand Suite (ES) on the Fascination a couple weeks ago. I have three Aft Wrap Suites booked on future cruises (Spirit Class ships) and an AD suite booked on my upcoming NCL cruise. Here is my opinion.

I obviously liked both suites I have been in, but they are a bit of a misnomer IMO. I think it is a stretch to call them "Grand Suites". The GS on the Spirit had a bit more room with a (mostly unused by us) dressing room. The bathroom was very nice, big, double sinks with a (again unused bidet). I do love the bathroom floors and counters in the suites. There was also more then enough closet space in that cabin. Seriously, we didn't even use two whole sections of cabinets. The balcony was nice and I liked the desk area where you walked in. It was more then enough room and good to stretch out. My parents were in one next to us and it was nice to open the balcony up. Also we could sit in one of the cabins and talk easily on the couch and 2 other chairs that were in there. We couldn't have done that comfortably in a standard cabin. Still, we got these cabins as an upsell. For the price they want for them (just my opinion) I wouldn't pay the asking price. They are nice, but for us, they are a bit unnecessary.

The ES suite on the Fascination was longer and wide so it had a different feel to it. The balcony was the same as it had a lot of depth. I thought the balcony was much wider then I expected. We had two chairs, two loungers and a small table out there. The room was more then enough space for us. We also liked the small "walk in" closet as opposed to all the excess cabinet space. The bathroom was not nearly as big as the GS on the Spirit, had only one sink, but the same nice counters and flooring. There was also no bidet. For me, the jetted tub is almost useless on both because it is so small and narrow. We used it a couple times, but it isn't spacious enough to really enjoy. I liked the ES cabin a lot and booked it mainly for the sitting area. We spend time in our cabin and I hate not having a couch in the regular Fantasy Class ships. The prices are a bit more reasonable, but I probably wouldn't book it again. Why? The location of the cabins themselves. They are on the Upper Deck mid ship. You have to either walk to the front or the back of the ship if you plan on going up to the Lido or Promenade. The Middle staircase only goes up to where the dining room is. I also like to take the stairs most of the time so I didn't like being that far down. No, it isn't that big of a deal, but enough to make me book the small OV Suite (old Cat 11) on the Veranda Deck next time. Yes, the balconies are small, but I will have my couch and a great location.

I am however, fully excited about my VS suites on the Miracle and Spirit I have upcoming. I love the balcony and I love the idea of having a seperate bedroom and living room. That makes a big difference to me. As for the NCL suite, it is all about the extra perks they offer. The list is extensive and nice.

Archived