Can a child board alone?

njdevil08

Ok, little background, we have two rooms booked next to each other. In one room is two parents and two children. The other room is two grandparents and the third child. This configuration was far cheaper and seemed to work out well. But if we (the family of 5) arrive to the pier before the grandparents, can the third child booked in the room with the grandparents board with us? Or, will we need to wait until all 7 of us are there to board together?

If it makes any difference, yes we are all under one reservation and plan to visit the pursers desk once on board to have keys to each other's rooms. In fact, I doubt the way we booked is how we'll actually sleep, we'll probably mix and match.

Thanks in advance. I know it's a bit of a weird question.

I would think that the cabin the other child (the one you asked about boarding alone) is staying in will have to board with those adults. You didn't mention the age of the child BUT I wouldn't have a child roaming around a over crowded, frantic passenger terminal alone anyway. Most adults need guidance at the terminals, a child will just be lost and not to mention...approachable!!

You can always try to board as a family of five and if that does not work, one adult and the child can wait for the grandparents to arrive.

You are also allowed to board and get off while the ship is in port, so you the adults could "swap places" if necessary.

I am not sure this will be an issue, though, because your reservations are linked.

It might also be helpful to put the oldest child into the grandparents room...

I would think that the cabin the other child (the one you asked about boarding alone) is staying in will have to board with those adults. You didn't mention the age of the child BUT I wouldn't have a child roaming around a over crowded, frantic passenger terminal alone anyway. Most adults need guidance at the terminals, a child will just be lost and not to mention...approachable!!

I don't think the OP meant "board alone" in the sense of a child wandering the cruise terminal unattended. I think he/she meant: can the child board with the parents but prior to the arrival of the cabinmates (the grandparents). Actually, this is sort of a variation on the question I asked today: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1250758 . Anyway, I think the OP will have no problem. My situation is a little more complicated but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks for all of your replies. First of all, the child in question is 16 years old (he's the one booked with the grandparents). And no, I had no intentions of ever leaving him alone in the cruise terminal waiting for them. If he can't board, the 5 of us would wait as a family for them. If anyone still knows for sure that'd be great. Thanks!

Thanks for all of your replies. First of all, the child in question is 16 years old (he's the one booked with the grandparents). And no, I had no intentions of ever leaving him alone in the cruise terminal waiting for them. If he can't board, the 5 of us would wait as a family for them. If anyone still knows for sure that'd be great. Thanks!
I'll offer the same advice I offered JungleJane, i.e., call Princess and ask to speak to a Supervisor. Explain your situation and get an official response. Don't forget to make a note of their name and the date you spoke to them. :)

We didn't have any problem doing the inverse of this on our July cruise on the Sea Princess out of San Francisco. I checked in and boarded a couple of hours before the 15 year old booked in my cabin arrived with the rest of the family, booked in a separate cabin.

Archived