anybody like/dislike the new beverage packages?

leallison

Anybody been on a recent cruise and bought one of the new all inclusive beverage packages and are glad/not glad they did? We cannot decide if it is worth it or not. We are setting sail this Sunday.We are average drinkers...maybe 1-2 drinks during the day and then several glasses of wine with dinner. We did the soda package before but think we may just go a la carte with everything. Would love your opinions. Thank you!

Just off Solstice this past week. Did the Premium Package for both wife and I - LOVED IT.

Not exactly sure if we "broke even" but probably close. The best part was NOT having to sign all those darn tickets.

To give a break down. Never had any specialty coffee's in the morning (its an Espresso Cafe - if you want reg coffee they just water the espresso down a little). I would enjoy maybe 4 or 5 beers during the time from lunch (couple of beers with a Grill Burger and couple more by the pool) to later afternoon, REALLY enjoyed the Cellar Master's or Martini Bar with a Glass or 2 of nice wine. Then 2 or 3 glasses of wine with Dinner. I am sure we would have spent $60 a day on that scenario. Never used the Molecular Bar but heard great reviews.

I think it was well worth the ease. You just hand them your card, they swipe it (or write down the number) and then hand you back your card. At dinner in Blu, the wine stewards got to know us and would keep our glass full during dinner (very nice and easy). I did tip both Wine Stewards seperate in Blu.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy.

Tiki

We had the classic alcohol package on Millennium last month, and we liked it. We used a very generous OBC from Celebrity and our TA that paid for almost all of it, so that was a good part of why we bought it.

We used it for cocktails before and after dinner, wine by the glass at dinner, specialty coffee and tea in the Cova coffee bar, and for bottled water.

We never had any problem using the cards, and it was definitely nice not to have a huge bill at the end of the cruise.

I'm not sure if we came out "ahead," but I will admit that I probably indulged in the cocktails more than I would have if we had been paying for each one individually ...

Check the beverage package "sticky" at the top of the forum - it has lists of all the menus and pricing for by-the-glass drinks (including specialty coffees, teas, etc.) and you can easily put together a prospective of what you're likely to drink, what you might want to drink, and what you think you'll try, to get an idea of pricing to see if it's worth it to you.

hi i was wondering the same, what happens at evening meal do you have to keep asking for a top up or do they keep replenshing your glass of wine from a bottle of wine or do they have to keep fetching fresh glasses with wine in it and who does this the wine waiter or your table waiter, plus we are only doing the 4 night cruise to cork. and we have booked anytime dining so could we use it then.

Check the beverage package "sticky" at the top of the forum - it has lists of all the menus and pricing for by-the-glass drinks (including specialty coffees, teas, etc.) and you can easily put together a prospective of what you're likely to drink, what you might want to drink, and what you think you'll try, to get an idea of pricing to see if it's worth it to you.

yes I checked that sticky on it but still cannot decide. Those packages seem so expensive to me. To me it seems that since we will be at ports on excursions for four days it might not be worth it. Anybody just get the soda package anymore and like it.

yes I checked that sticky on it but still cannot decide. Those packages seem so expensive to me. To me it seems that since we will be at ports on excursions for four days it might not be worth it. Anybody just get the soda package anymore and like it.

I am curious about this as well. My wife and I will be taking our first cruise next month. I am leaning more and more toward getting me the classic alcoholic ;) package and getting her the non-alcohol package.

I'd definitely go through it to make that decision.

What I did was make up a spreadsheet of what I'm likely to drink, fresh juices in the morning, teas, wines with dinner (I like to pair courses), after-dinner liquors, and then threw in a few drinks I'd like to try. But don't concentrate just on the alcohol - are you likely to choose fresh-squeezed juices? Specialty coffees? If so, add it up.

I'm going on a 12-night port intensive Mediterranean cruise, but even with that, the premium package makes sense for me. I'll get my money's worth out of it.

But the best way to figure that out is to sit down and really look at what you're likely to drink while on the ship.

$48 works out to 4 drinks at $12 each. or 6 at $8 each. Even with being off the ship just about every day, I can hit that with no problem, throwing in a soda or two, specialty tea, wine pairings, etc. On sea days, I'll do more than that, again, easily.

And when I go down to Cellar Masters, there is a lot I'd like to try, that fits in the package.

It won't work for everyone, but if you know what you're likely to do, then you can make a reasonable guess as to whether it will work for you.

As one who has a very low bar bill at the end of my cruises, (I purchase bottles only) I would encourage everyone to purchase these packages.

Unlike other lines I believe that =X= cruises aren't the type to 'drink until I get my money's worth' and in the long run it is good for =X=, convenient for passengers and keep other prices low. :cool:

We just got off the Summit (to Bermuda). Hubby had the premium alcohol package; my brother & his wife both had classic package; and another friend had the soda package. We all came out more than breaking even...and it was so convenient. Brother & wife said they will opt for the premium package next time so they have a better selection of wine by the glass, etc. If you frequent the same bar a lot (as we do with the Waterfall bar on Deck 10 Aft), and the bartenders know you, it's just great...so convenient.

I'd definitely go through it to make that decision.

What I did was make up a spreadsheet of what I'm likely to drink, fresh juices in the morning, teas, wines with dinner (I like to pair courses), after-dinner liquors, and then threw in a few drinks I'd like to try. But don't concentrate just on the alcohol - are you likely to choose fresh-squeezed juices? Specialty coffees? If so, add it up.

I'm going on a 12-night port intensive Mediterranean cruise, but even with that, the premium package makes sense for me. I'll get my money's worth out of it.

But the best way to figure that out is to sit down and really look at what you're likely to drink while on the ship.

$48 works out to 4 drinks at $12 each. or 6 at $8 each. Even with being off the ship just about every day, I can hit that with no problem, throwing in a soda or two, specialty tea, wine pairings, etc. On sea days, I'll do more than that, again, easily.

And when I go down to Cellar Masters, there is a lot I'd like to try, that fits in the package.

It won't work for everyone, but if you know what you're likely to do, then you can make a reasonable guess as to whether it will work for you.

I like this idea. I will do this. Is there anything that is NOT included in the premium package?

I like this idea. I will do this. Is there anything that is NOT included in the premium package?

From what I've been reading, the answer is Yes, there are things not included. Everything at the Molecular bar is over the $12 limit. Room Service and the Mini Bar are not included. There are many wines, especially in the Specialty restaurants, that are over the limit. There are other high end drinks that are over the limit. And the wine pairings in the Murano restaurant are over the limit. That having been said, there is a tremendous selection of things that are included.

Let me include this link from another posting which is essentially a list of the bar menues that another Cruise Critic put together early in 2010. I think it's very helpful.

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Solstice-2010/Bar-Menus/12454637_Aaaum#891894624_SCNbe

From what I've been reading, the answer is Yes, there are things not included. Everything at the Molecular bar is over the $12 limit. Room Service and the Mini Bar are not included. There are many wines, especially in the Specialty restaurants, that are over the limit. There are other high end drinks that are over the limit. And the wine pairings in the Murano restaurant are over the limit. That having been said, there is a tremendous selection of things that are included.

Let me include this link from another posting which is essentially a list of the bar menues that another Cruise Critic put together early in 2010. I think it's very helpful.

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Solstice-2010/Bar-Menus/12454637_Aaaum#891894624_SCNbe

Thanks for the answer. It is SO hard to predict if what you will drink on the cruise...especially since you are not on the ship that much. We are going in the AQuaspa class, dont we get free bottled water and some teas or something like that?

I'm confused. From what I'm seeing the drinks in the Molecular bar are all $12. Why would they not be included?

Have just returned from a 14 night Med Cruise ao board The Eclipse. My wife and I and our 2 friends all had the Premium Package. We certainly did not lose anything out of it, but what it did was allow you to try drinks you had never tried before. The bartenders and Waiters were great, with no problems using it in any of the bars. dont want to be picky but there is a list of 14 cocktails in the Molecular Bar, all priced at 12 Dollars and all within the package. Wine with dinner was no problem, with frequent top ups. All in all we found it a great experience and would certainly do it again.

Only downside as I mentioned in another post was people obviously trying to share packages and providing under agers with alcohol.

Finally if you do take it watch your onboard account. For some unknown reason we were now and gain charged for drinks, 4 times charged $2 in the Mast Bar, once in Qusine and once in the Martini Bar. A telephone call or visit to Guest Relations resolved the matter. The Maitre'd in quesine even phoned to apologise.

Cocktails at the Molecular Bar are $12 and therefore would be included in the Premium Alcohol Package.

okay several more questions for those who have gotten the premium alcohol package:

1. Are specialty coffees included?

2. are digestive liquors included (if they are 12 or under)?

3. Are smoothies included?

4. If you get a soda, like a coke zero, do they bring you a can and a cup with ice, or does celebrity just give you one of those drink cups to get refilled?

5. Cant you get orange juice and/or hot tea in the main dining room or Blu for breakfast or do you have to pay extra for it?

6. We are going AQ class so does that mean I got bottled water and certain hot teas for free? I heard some place I do.

Sorry, just want all the information before making this decision. any help is appreciated!

hi i was wondering the same, what happens at evening meal do you have to keep asking for a top up or do they keep replenshing your glass of wine from a bottle of wine or do they have to keep fetching fresh glasses with wine in it and who does this the wine waiter or your table waiter, plus we are only doing the 4 night cruise to cork. and we have booked anytime dining so could we use it then.

On the Century July 21 Med cruise, the wine steward kept our glasses topped up from the bottle. He also remembered what we liked and took excellent care of us, recommending different wines based on each course. We were Select dining, too, but seated in the same area with the same staff every night.

A reminder when making your decision about the packages to keep in mind that the premium package includes large and small sizes of bottled water, including Pellegrino, as well as lattes, cappucinos, etc. I bet half my daily use of the package was water and lattes!

okay several more questions for those who have gotten the premium alcohol package:

1. Are specialty coffees included?

2. are digestive liquors included (if they are 12 or under)?

3. Are smoothies included?

4. If you get a soda, like a coke zero, do they bring you a can and a cup with ice, or does celebrity just give you one of those drink cups to get refilled?

5. Cant you get orange juice and/or hot tea in the main dining room or Blu for breakfast or do you have to pay extra for it?

6. We are going AQ class so does that mean I got bottled water and certain hot teas for free? I heard some place I do.

Sorry, just want all the information before making this decision. any help is appreciated!

I can answer most of your questions. Specialty coffees are inlcuded with the premium alcohol package as are smoothies (you also get smoothies for free at breakfast at Blu or from room service with Aqua Class though even if you do not have a package). I am not sure if digestive liquors are included. At Blu you can get fresh squeezed juices at breakfast for no chare (does not matter if you have package or not). You can also get basic teas and coffees for no charge (breakfast and dinner). In the main dining room you can get juice, but not fresh squeezed, for breakfast. You can also get free basic coffee and tea in the main dining room at all meals.

In Aqua class, your stateroom will have two bottles of bottled water that are replenished at least once per day (most people have reported that their steward will provide them with more upon request at no charge; my steward was very generous with handing us extras and would even run over to us with bottled waters when she saw us leaving the ship in the morning to head to ports). In the afternoon the steward also brings a pitcher of flavored tea (not hot tea). You also will have a bottle of sparkling wine in your stateroom waiting for you on boarding day in Aqua class.

So with Aqua class you do receive some drinks that normally have a charge for free. This should be considered when determining if a drink package will make sense for you.

I can answer most of your questions. Specialty coffees are inlcuded with the premium alcohol package as are smoothies (you also get smoothies for free at breakfast at Blu or from room service with Aqua Class though even if you do not have a package). I am not sure if digestive liquors are included. At Blu you can get fresh squeezed juices at breakfast for no chare (does not matter if you have package or not). You can also get basic teas and coffees for no charge (breakfast and dinner). In the main dining room you can get juice, but not fresh squeezed, for breakfast. You can also get free basic coffee and tea in the main dining room at all meals.

In Aqua class, your stateroom will have two bottles of bottled water that are replenished at least once per day (most people have reported that their steward will provide them with more upon request at no charge; my steward was very generous with handing us extras and would even run over to us with bottled waters when she saw us leaving the ship in the morning to head to ports). In the afternoon the steward also brings a pitcher of flavored tea (not hot tea). You also will have a bottle of sparkling wine in your stateroom waiting for you on boarding day in Aqua class.

So with Aqua class you do receive some drinks that normally have a charge for free. This should be considered when determining if a drink package will make sense for you.

Wow! Thank you so much for the help! So, with AQ sounds like I get a lot of things free if I want. Not sure what to do now. Did you get any beverage packages?

Wow! Thank you so much for the help! So, with AQ sounds like I get a lot of things free if I want. Not sure what to do now. Did you get any beverage packages?

The beverage packages were not yet out on my last cruise. On my upcoming cruise I am going to purchase the premium alcohol package for the second half of the cruise if they will permit me to do so (it is a 15 nighter and I would not want it for the entire cruise). Since I enjoy the coffees at Cafe al Bacio and love the martini bar as well as enjoy wine with dinner I should be able to get my money's worth. I also want to try out the Molecular Bar (I didn't get around to this venue on my last cruise). I also would indulge in things such as sparkling water at dinner that I would not spend the money on were I to not have the package.

The beverage packages were not yet out on my last cruise. On my upcoming cruise I am going to purchase the premium alcohol package for the second half of the cruise if they will permit me to do so (it is a 15 nighter and I would not want it for the entire cruise). Since I enjoy the coffees at Cafe al Bacio and love the martini bar as well as enjoy wine with dinner I should be able to get my money's worth. I also want to try out the Molecular Bar (I didn't get around to this venue on my last cruise). I also would indulge in things such as sparkling water at dinner that I would not spend the money on were I to not have the package.

I dont think the premium package covers anything at the martini bar..but I could be wrong. I heard all the drinks at that bar are priced at $15.00 and above.

I dont think the premium package covers anything at the martini bar..but I could be wrong. I heard all the drinks at that bar are priced at $15.00 and above.

Most of the martinis are covered; there are a couple that are over $12, but most of them are $12 and under. What is fun if you do not do a package is to try the martini flight - it is six mini martinis including five flavored martinis and one traditional. It is about $22 and is a lot of fun both in the presentation and to consume.

Hi all, I am on the Millenium in November and thinking about these packages but I also have a question or 2.

1st, is there a limit as to how much you can have in any one day?

2nd, are the packages available in all bars, ei the night club after midnight?

Thanks for any help.

Archived