anybody like/dislike the new beverage packages?

leallison

A reminder when making your decision about the packages to keep in mind that the premium package includes large and small sizes of bottled water, including Pellegrino, as well as lattes, cappucinos, etc. I bet half my daily use of the package was water and lattes!

I have called celebrity directly and they state that lattes and cappucinos are included on the classic package as well ... and that coffees with liquor are the ones that are excluded and only included on premium package...

Great question:) I have never purchased a package before but I am

sailing on Solstice next month and will be receiving 200.00 obc.....

I think I am going to get a package after I board:D and that credit?

It will cover almost the whole thing:D

I don't usually have a very big bar bill but it is (usually)the only thing

I spend my money on. I don't do the Spa too often, I don't buy the

photos, I don't buy souveniers.....geee.....I drink on a cruise;)

I still have time to decide but I am definitely thinking of getting

a package this time.

Lois ...If you purchase the CLASSIC package next month ... please report in with findings ... there has been some much confusion with regards to coffee/latte/cappucino ... I have seen the bar menus and KNOW there is plenty for me to consume without going with the PREMIUM pkg but the coffee/latte/cappucino issue is a deal breaker for one of my traveling companions

thanks in advance

I've asked before but never had an answer from someone who has actually sailed with the premium package....there was a comment a while ago from someone who said the beers that are on the bar menus are not available...that they actually carried only a relatively small sampling of the beers listed.

Can anyone address that question? Most posts are about wine and mixed drinks. My husband and BIL are interested in the beer question....especially for sea days. Thanks for any replies.

Has anyone had experience with having difficulty getting a second (or third) glass of wine refill in the main dining room at dinner? Likewise same question if dining in the specialty restaurants.

Quite the opposite - the wine stewards in both the MDR and Murano's kept us topped off. And they were quick to suggest new wines for new courses. Very attentive service on Century last month.

Thanks to "Jobeth66" and "BKFlowerMound" for recommending that "newcomers" visit a thread that I started for the purpose of helping everyone to evaluate the four major beverage packages. It is a thread that now enjoys the privilege of "sticky" (persistently "topped") status. If you visit the thread, you'll find the following, among other features:

(1) A long, detailed list of individual beverages and their 2010 prices -- in post #1, with supplements (additional wines available by the glass) in posts #76 and #117.

(2) Prices of the four major packages in mid-2010 (per day/week/fortnight, including service charge) -- in post #55 -- to save you the trouble of doing the arithmetic.

(3) Links to photographs of 2010 drink menus and wine lists, in posts #63, 109, and 113.

(4) Lots and lots of discussion/evaluation/Q&A in the intervening posts.

(5) CAUTION: I made a couple of significant errors in post #25 (in a paragraph starting with the word, "ALL"), but I added corrections in post #40.

For your convenience, here is a link to the "sticky" thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243495

Have fun!

I've asked before but never had an answer from someone who has actually sailed with the premium package....there was a comment a while ago from someone who said the beers that are on the bar menus are not available...that they actually carried only a relatively small sampling of the beers listed.

Can anyone address that question? Most posts are about wine and mixed drinks. My husband and BIL are interested in the beer question....especially for sea days. Thanks for any replies.

We got the packages in May on the Connie in Europe. We both loved them.....so easy to use. My DH is a beer drinker and kept trying new beers. They had a wonderful selection. Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

Has anyone had experience with having difficulty getting a second (or third) glass of wine refill in the main dining room at dinner? Likewise same question if dining in the specialty restaurants.

We eat in the Specialty restaurants every night. The wine Steward was always suggesting a new wine to taste with dinner. We had a great time and had alot of wines that we would not normally buy.

Laura

Lois ...If you purchase the CLASSIC package next month ... please report in with findings ... there has been some much confusion with regards to coffee/latte/cappucino ... I have seen the bar menus and KNOW there is plenty for me to consume without going with the PREMIUM pkg but the coffee/latte/cappucino issue is a deal breaker for one of my traveling companions

thanks in advance

Hi,:) if I buy one it will be the Premium package.

I am a big smoothie fan and bought the premium non alcohol package mainly for smoothies (otherwise I would have stuck with the classic or even just the soda package). I was hoping to relax with a smoothie in the afternoons but could not find a bar that would make them in the afternoons. They made them in the morning but I could get them free from room service in the morning because of the concierage room. I asked a couple times and they said they made them all day but when i went back, they wouldn't make them. I did like getting the cans of soda and cappucinos as well as the big waters.

My daughter also had the premium non alcohol and loved that she could get Arizonia Iced tea and red bulls.

I have called celebrity directly and they state that lattes and cappucinos are included on the classic package as well ... and that coffees with liquor are the ones that are excluded and only included on premium package...

Ahhhh. Great clarification. Thank you!!!

We got the packages in May on the Connie in Europe. We both loved them.....so easy to use. My DH is a beer drinker and kept trying new beers. They had a wonderful selection. Enjoy your cruise.

Laura

Hi, Laura, thanks so much for the reply re: beer availability. My husband and BIL are now very happy campers anticipating using the package next May....except it's a LONG time to wait. Glad to know they'll be happy. As for me, it's the Martini Bar all the way!

Hi, Laura, thanks so much for the reply re: beer availability. My husband and BIL are now very happy campers anticipating using the package next May....except it's a LONG time to wait. Glad to know they'll be happy. As for me, it's the Martini Bar all the way!

Anytime...I know my DH was not to sure about getting the package and then he was sooooo happy that he did. Enjoy your cruise!!

Laura

Thank you so much OP for a great thread. :)

I am contemplating which way to go.

Reading more Pros than Cons.

I like the fact about not having a ton of receipts to go through and that most drinks are included, except for the extreme higher price beverages. That I can deal with.

In my mind I keep going over how many drinks per day we normal drink...:rolleyes: to justify buying a package.

Thanks Bobby Dee for posting your link

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Solstice-2010/Bar-Menus/12454637_Aaaum#891894624_SCNbe

Will have a look to compare prices.

:)

Thank you so much OP for a great thread. :)

I am contemplating which way to go.

Reading more Pros than Cons.

I like the fact about not having a ton of receipts to go through and that most drinks are included' date=' except for the extreme higher price beverages. That I can deal with.

In my mind I keep going over how many drinks per day we normal drink...:rolleyes: to justify buying a package.

Thanks Bobby Dee for posting your link

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Solstice-2010/Bar-Menus/12454637_Aaaum#891894624_SCNbe

Will have a look to compare prices.

:)[/quote']

At first glance I thought the package was not a good deal, but we made an actual spreadsheet as I said earlier in this thread. We contemplated 6.5 days instead of 7 (because of Sunday when you get on the ship is not a full day) and took in to consideration days at sea vs not at sea...and added 15% and with the bare minimum that we thought we would drink and we still came out $70.00 ahead in savings. That means if we drank a lot more it would be a lot more savings.

We loved the premium non alcohol package. Never had a problem getting drinks. It was great that there was a bar by the Oasis buffet.

We bought it ahead of time but when we got on the ship they said they had no record of it and that they were having this problem with many people. I suggest you just buy it on board or for sure bring some sort of printed confirmation.

We are not HUGE drinkers
Ya, ya, ya that's what they all say. :D:D:D

I'm not either. ;)..:p

I like the fact that all beverages are included ~ Soda, juice, coffee, and of course the adult beverages.

Oh - and someone asked about buying the package midway through a 15-day. The answer is yes. As long as there are ore than 2 days left in your cruise, you can buy the package for the balance of your cruise. So on a 15-day, you can purchase up to day 12, and you'll be charged for the remaining days. You won't have any problem buying on day 7 or 8.

Wow!!!! This is really good to know.

Just wondering, what happens if you bought the full week ahead of time and then during the cruise you realize you're not fully utilizing the it ;) can you cancel?

If you purchase a drink package on the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise, is the price pro-rated for the remainder of the cruise?

the quoted price is PER DAY ... so you would be charged for the number of DAYS that you use it

Ya' date=' ya, ya that's what they all say. :D:D:D

I'm not either. ;)..:p

I like the fact that all beverages are included ~ Soda, juice, coffee, and of course the adult beverages.

Wow!!!! This is really good to know.

Just wondering, what happens if you bought the full week ahead of time and then during the cruise you realize you're not fully utilizing the it ;) can you cancel?[/quote']

nope. Once it's purchased, no "returns"

We usually pay per drink the first couple days then determine if we want to purchase the package. For whatever reason, so cruises we don't drink much at all, and others we drink like it's going out of style... I have no idea why our consumption varies to such a degree...

Actually I think it depends on the friends we make the first couple of days. If they are always at the bar, we wind up at the bar more than usual...

MY DH and I just returned from the Summit and each had a classic package,

We bought it a month before the trip so it was all paid for by the time we sailed.

He enjoyed 3-4 coffees from the coffee bar daily, I had lots of diet coke and yes I got a can, even un opened per my request.

I had a beer or 2 during the day, champange and or a cocktail before dinner, 3 glasses of wine during dinner and than something during the show and in the disco :D

I also picked up many bottels of water during the day.

No problems with service from the wait staff on getting drinks.

We just loved it :D

My wife and I are not huge alcohal drinkers, so we did the non alcohalic packages. I did the premium and she did the classic. We loved the convenience and not having to deal with signing the bar tab. I'm not sure if we broke even, came out ahead, or lost out, but we really don't care. The convenience made everything worth it and we will definately do it again.

the quoted price is PER DAY ... so you would be charged for the number of DAYS that you use it

But when you purchase you have to purchase for the remaining # of days on the cruise and you can NOT cancel.

You can purchase up to the last two days of the cruise!

My husband loved his premium package!

We so appreciate all the input, facts and feedback, CC members are the best. Based on all the info we just purchased a Premium Package for our 9/26 Solstice cruise. Not sure if it works $ wise but it will be close. The deciding factor was ease and enjoyment, can't wait to report back.

Archived