Syria Visa

taxjam

We're going on an Oceania cruise next June with a stop in Syria (Port - TARTOUS - 8AM to 6PM) We usually maximize our time touring in ports and almost never consider staying on the ship, but is it worth it?

The Syrian authorities have made changes to their immigration regulations requiring that all United States Citizens are required to obtain an individual tourist visa for entry into the country. Guests not in possession of a valid Syrian Visa will not be allowed to go ashore by the Syrian Authorities.

Guests booked on this cruise will need to contact a Visa Service of their choice; contact the Syrian Consular office closest to them; or purchase the Syria Visa Package from Oceania Cruises at a cost of $299 per guest.

Too bad that has occured. We visited places such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Oman, Jordan, and a few other places in this area of the world a few months ago and all of the visas could be arranged on the ship and the prices were much lower.

Keith

You could go to the Syrian Embassy (or follow the process as documented on their website) and get your visa directly. Their website says it's $131, but many countries follow the price of US visas, which was raised to $140 a few months ago - so you might want to check that. There are also other companies that arrange for visas - I don't know what they charge, but one that I know the name of is CIBT (again, I haven't used them, but I ran across them checking visa requirements not that long ago). Check the internet, and then you'll know all your options.

We're going on an Oceania cruise next June with a stop in Syria (Port - TARTOUS - 8AM to 6PM) We usually maximize our time touring in ports and almost never consider staying on the ship, but is it worth it?

The Syrian authorities have made changes to their immigration regulations requiring that all United States Citizens are required to obtain an individual tourist visa for entry into the country. Guests not in possession of a valid Syrian Visa will not be allowed to go ashore by the Syrian Authorities.

Guests booked on this cruise will need to contact a Visa Service of their choice; contact the Syrian Consular office closest to them; or purchase the Syria Visa Package from Oceania Cruises at a cost of $299 per guest.

Hi,

I'm on the Oceania for May I got the same notice. We are a group of 4 and don't want to spend $1200.00 just to get off the ship. We told Oceania we would be staying on the ship that day. I've never done that but thought it was strange that it was only required for US citizens, so this will be the first time for us not going into a port. I'm hoping they change ports if enough say the will be staying on the ship.

Hi,

I'm on the Oceania for May I got the same notice. We are a group of 4 and don't want to spend $1200.00 just to get off the ship. We told Oceania we would be staying on the ship that day. I've never done that but thought it was strange that it was only required for US citizens, so this will be the first time for us not going into a port. I'm hoping they change ports if enough say the will be staying on the ship.

Are you sure you can do this?

Our experience in other countries ranging from Brazil to India, Vietnam and so forth is that you can't embark the ship without the visa. So, be sure that is truly OK.

They likely make usa citizens do this because we make them do the same.

Keith

Are you sure you can do this?

Our experience in other countries ranging from Brazil to India, Vietnam and so forth is that you can't embark the ship without the visa. So, be sure that is truly OK.

They likely make usa citizens do this because we make them do the same.

Keith

I talked to Oceania and they said yes we can stay on the ship. We don't have to go on shore.

Trish

Trish I am glad to hear that.

You may want to get that in writing.

Again I am not sure about Syria but for other places we just didn't have that option.

Or at least it might be worth calling again to be sure that what you were told was correct.

We were just in the Middle East visiting all sorts of places including some that are not often visited by Cruise Lines including Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Banair and others that we have visited before as well such as Israel, Egypt, Oman, Jordan, UAE and a few others but we've never been to Syria.

Keith

Again I am not sure about Syria but for other places we just didn't have that option.

Or at least it might be worth calling again to be sure that what you were told was correct.

We were just in the Middle East visiting all sorts of places including some that are not often visited by Cruise Lines including Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Banair and others that we have visited before as well such as Israel, Egypt, Oman, Jordan, UAE and a few others but we've never been to Syria.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that advise. I think I will email them so its in writing. Great idea.

Trish

I am visiting Syria on the Aegean Odyssey in November. I saw notice of the change regarding visas for Syria. I asked my TA to enquire with the cruiseline and was told that they will be able to obtain a group visa for all guests onboard.

I am a little concerned that you are being told something so different.

I am visiting Syria on the Aegean Odyssey in November. I saw notice of the change regarding visas for Syria. I asked my TA to enquire with the cruiseline and was told that they will be able to obtain a group visa for all guests onboard.

I am a little concerned that you are being told something so different.

I would think that each cruise ship handles it differently. Ours is Oceania and they could just be handling it this way. Do you know what you are doing in Syria yet?

Trish

Do you know what you are doing in Syria yet?

Trish

Yes, we are lucky to have 3 days in Syria (my main reason for booking this trip).

We will first dock in Tartus, where we tour Krak des Chevaliers (the famous Crusader castle), then will go to the ancient Roman ruins of Palmyra, where we spend the night (the ruins are huge) and see some that afternoon and some the next morning, along with the museum. Then back to Tartus to sail to Latakia, where we can choose to visit Aleppo for a full day, do a half day tour to Salah al-Din's castle, or a half day to the ruins of the Roman city of Apamea.

Keith

Hi keith,

Got it in writing. Thanks again for the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

We too are on the Nautica calling in Tartous in October. The process to get the visa from the consulate was quick and smooth. About 1 week door to door. Interestingly, a tour company there says they can provide a visa for $40 on arrival. I cannot get an answer yet from Oceania on this issue, i.e. whether they will allow pax to go ashore under this arrangement.

Wow that sounds great. Let me know if you hear any more on your visa into Syria.

Thanks Trish

I've been reassured again that a group visa for all of us will be obtained by the ship upon reaching Syria.

Glad to hear the previous poster obtained a visa without much difficulty. I think this is a fascinating country and would urge anyone stopping there to get the visa (if needed) rather than skip it.

I looked and saw on our cruise the tour doesn't go to Damascus. Not sure if they have a group tour with a better price for a group visa. The 2 tours offered are Crac Des Chevaliers & Amrit any thoughts?

Do you have to choose between these two? It would be a tough choice for me. Krak de Chevaliers is supposed to be the "ultimate" Crusader's castle (described as such by Lawrence of Arabia, who did fieldwork there prior to his stint in the British army during WW1).

On the other hand, I never like to pass up ancient ruins, and they don't get much more ancient than Amrit, which was first established around 2,000 BC! However, the photos I've seen of the ruins here are less outstanding than many other sites in the Mediterranean, so if you had to choose -- and ruins were not your absolute passion -- I would probably suggest seeing Krak des Chevaliers.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to update this thread, having just returned from my cruise on Aegean Odyssey (Voyages to Antiquity). The ship was able to obtain visas for everyone on board (at no charge), similar to the Egyptian "Quick Stay" visa stamp for cruise passengers. We didn't have to do anything other than turn in our passports. They were stamped by the Syrian officials. There was no need to obtain any individual visa in advance.

I don't know why all cruise lines couldn't handle it this way....

We were lucky to have 2 nights in Tartous and 1 night in Latakia. From Tartous we did an overnight visiting Krak des Chevaliers and Palmyra. Krak was nice, but Palmyra was outstanding. (My friends will tell you that I'm not much interested in anything unless its at least 1500 years old...!) The ruins are extensive and very well preserved, also the setting (in an oasis on the edge of the desert) was picturesque. We stayed overnight at a hotel that was walking distance from the ruins, some walked there early the next morning to catch the sunrise, which was lovely. We also saw the (small) museum there and some of the fascinating tombs.

From Latakia we visited Aleppo, which was wonderful as well. We toured the Citadel, the nearby mosque, and the souk, which reminded me quite a bit of Istanbul's Grand Bazaar but somewhat more exotic. We also had a fantastic lunch at a local restaurant (very well known -- Sissi House) with live music. It would've been nice to have more time there.

I think we had a good mix of the ancient (Palmyra), the Crusader period (Krak and the Citadel), and the more modern. The one caveat is that none of these places are very near the ports, so long days of touring and a fair amount of sitting on buses is required. However, I found it well worth it.

I plan to write more detailed reviews shortly....

Archived