table allocation

Hi, does anyone know how they allocate tables in the Seven Seas Restaurant on Destiny and do you sit with the same peope for the whole of the trip.

Also is there ever a problem finding seats in the Can Can lounge for the shows after the late dinner sitting. Thinking of doing Rome on our Own trip anyone know how far it is to walk from St Peters Square (I think we get dropped off near there) to the Trevi Fountain. Thinking of using the hop on/off buses, how much would this cost and are they easy to use? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi again.

Last time we were on the Head Waiter assigns your table and you are left a note in your cabin as to which table you are on. I suppose you can change if possible.

We always go first sitting, better of two evils. First too early, second too late. But first allows you to be peckish for the Midnight Buffett.:)

Yes you stay on that table all week. Do not worry nobody sits in judgement and you twig on soon enough who wants to talk or who wants a quite Dinner and act accordingly. I ask my wife which knife and fork to use so that's a big help:)

We never had trouble in the CAN CAN and we were always last minute because we dance in the other lounge then dash on for the Show, sometimes you have to squeeze in though. Look lost and somebody always makes room.:)

I think it's a good walk and remember its a city.

As we were in Rome 2 years ago for 4 days we will not be going in but if I was I think I would go on the organised tour. The sites are well spaced out. Just my opinion, some folk like the do it yourself, we do when we are in a City for a few days, but one day only I would go for the organised tour.

The hop on hop off bus is easy to use though, you can find the cost by googling hop on hop off rome, there are a couple of companies.

You wait at a bus stop and pay as you get on. Often there are reps at the busy stops who tout you.

The one thing we found in Rome was that the famous sites are rather hidden. You suddenly come on them within the Streets.

Not Vatican or Collasium:) though.

We spent a whole day around the Collasium, it was that good.

Anyway take it easy and have a good cruise.

Hi, does anyone know how they allocate tables in the Seven Seas Restaurant on Destiny and do you sit with the same peope for the whole of the trip.

Also is there ever a problem finding seats in the Can Can lounge for the shows after the late dinner sitting. Thinking of doing Rome on our Own trip anyone know how far it is to walk from St Peters Square (I think we get dropped off near there) to the Trevi Fountain. Thinking of using the hop on/off buses, how much would this cost and are they easy to use? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

When you booked you will have been given the choice of early or late sitting. On the first evening of the cruise it is open seating so just turn up and they will show you to a table. They have a desk ouside the restaurant where you can check your table and perhaps change it or the dining time. this is usually on the second morning. From the second night onward you sit at the same table each evening.

It can be challenging getting seats for the shows and this was especially true for the second show of the evening. People watched the first show and then sat there with the intention of watching it again!. i have heard that they now clear the area between shows but don't know if this is true.

We did Rome on your Own and then got the 110 hop-on hop-off bus from near St Peter's. You can't miss the bus stop with masses of double deckers there! See this website for info http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/110_open_hop_on_bus_rome.htm

This is the best one to get because it goes nearer to the Trevi fountain than the others. Whilst you could walk, it is quite a long way and it is good to see Rome from the top deck! Allow at least 2 hours for the full circuit plus time off the bus at stops. Expect to queue for at least an hour to get into St Peter's.

I think the bus tour cost less than the 20 euros mentioned on this website - think it was more like 15 euros, but not sure.

thanks for the useful information, as we are not very confident using public transport when abroad and always go on organised tours, this does sound a good option especially as I can't walk too far, I think all the Rome tours will involve a lot of walking!

We went on the walking excursion last year from the Destiny. This meant we avoided the long queues at the Colisseum which was very worthwhile. It was very hot and very hard going so we left the excursion after that and did our own thing, via the tube.

yes, think there will be too much walking for me on the organised excursions from everything we have heard, unless we do the 'relaxing Rome' excursion but worried we will not see very much on this as it does not make any stops in Rome and OH is a keen photographer!! Has anyone been on this one?

thanks for the useful information, as we are not very confident using public transport when abroad and always go on organised tours, this does sound a good option especially as I can't walk too far, I think all the Rome tours will involve a lot of walking!

I have just checked our ticket booklet and there is a trip from the destiny called relaxing Rome easy on the legs which involves a coach tour around Rome, although you can't get off to see any of the sites, it also misses the Trevi fountain and Spanish steps the costs are £39 for adults and £20 for children. Hope this helps you.

If you do the hop-on hop-off bus no 110, you will not have much walking to do at all. The Trevi Fountain is only about 10 yards from the bus stop. You go right round the Coliseum really close (and could get off there if you want to go inside) and past lots of other sites too. We had lunch at a pizza place a few steps from the fountain. They give you a good map of the route and stops when you board the bus, and there is a commentary in English on headphones. I really think it is your best bet. A compromise between a tour with no stops and one that is too tiring for you. Also you get a better view from the upper deck of a bus than from a coach window. But wear sunscreen and take a hat if its sunny!

We don't go until September so would be very interested to hear how you get on, is it the Relaxing Rome 'Easy on the Legs' excursion you are doing?

hi yes it is the "Relaxing Rome easy on the legs" excursion, my OH has problems with walking so it looks like the easiest option for us, although the hop on hop off bus sounds good. I am sure whatever we decide to do we will enjoy it.

With regards to the restaurant, we were allocated a table with strangers, we got to know them over the cruise so it was OK, but I would have preferred from the outset to have an option to just dine together - as was the case on the Celebration last year.

With regards to Civitavecchia and Rome, Civitavecchia is a busy port, including our ship there were EIGHT cruise ships stopped there, it is the main port of call for Rome. A free shuttle bus took us from the ship to the port gates. We turned left here and walked for 5 minutes to reach the train station. We were late leaving and caught the 12:57 train to Rome for 9 Euros return (a Zone 5 Travel Card). We heard from fellow passengers that there were chaotic scenes at the station in the morning, but it was OK at the time we went. The journey to Rome Termini took 1 hour and 20 minutes. From there we headed out of the station (which took 5 minutes) and took an open top bus tour of the city, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and it can’t be seen in one either, so we were happy to just skim the surface on this occasion as we will definitely come back out of season when the HUGE queues are smaller. I believe we paid 17 Euros each for an after 1pm hop-on hop-off ticket on the CitySightSeeing bus. When we got back to Civitavecchia we went shopping on the market stalls which were quaint and inexpensive. We heard many horror stories of passengers being pick-pocketed, be warned, it is VERY common in Rome. I wore shorts with zipped pockets because of this. My video from an open top bus in Rome is here:

and my video of the Port of Civitavecchia is here:

Archived