Renting an RV

Great Sky Girl

Yes, did it last year for a week and it is definitely the way to see Alaska ! An RV is self contained so you have total flexibility over where you want to go and how long you want to stay. Go to Tripadvisor.com. It is the land version of cruise critic. When you get to the Alaska forum there is RV info on the TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT ALASKA. In the same place there's also a link to this summers trip reports.

RV is a great idea, but your grocery shopping needs to be in Anchorage. If you have a COSTCO card, bring it, but there are other grocery stores including Safeway/Carrs and Fred Meyer. You can pick up a few things along your way, but prices will be much higher and selection limited.

You need Windex and towels to keep your windows clean.

Get a copy of a MILEPOST so you can see how it all works.

Reserve your RV as soon as you can. Supplies are limited.

I've rented a RV twice in Alaska, it's not my thing. :) My 6-10 trip was 1400 miles, paying over $700 for gas. I only stayed in campgrounds 4 nights, rest of the time, at roadside pull offs and Fred Meyers. :)

Points to consider- verify IN WRITING any insurance coverage you may think you have. Many auto policies, do NOT cover RV's. In that case budget for and purchase all available waivers to lower your deductable. Stuff happens in RV's. Dings, cracked glass, scrapes etc seem to be easier to come by in a RV. :)

Anchorage as noted is where you want to stock up, bring twice the toilet paper you think you'll need, also a roll of paper towel, and stick matches.

Renting in the fall prior to your visit, can yield significant savings. I have used two different companies with my rentals and each had fall specials.

This last rental, came with free nights and half price nights with prepayment. The other company, definately had way higher quality RV'S, but the savings were worth it to me.

Wew did it in 09. Rented in Anchorage and spent 11 days on the road. Homer for a bear viewing flight to Lake Clark National Park., Seward and Whittier for day cruises (Whittier one cancelled because of weather). Then on to Talkeetna , Denali and Fairbanks. We did a Denali summit flight and took the shuttle to Eielson in the park. You can see our pictures at http://burnet60.smugmug.com. If you are planning to flight see be sure to add an extra day or two to allow for weather. It took us 3 tries over a 5 day period to do the summit flight. It was amazing.

Thanks, BQ. We have camped a lot (quite a while back) but never in an motorized vehicle. The company we spoke to told us the insurance was covered as they could not just accept the public's word on this issue. They seem relatively nice and not too terribly expensive. We are not going as far as you and are looking at 4 nights max. We will plan to stay when we firm up our itenerary. Not quite sure what all we are going to do. I know from going before, Alaska is a lot larger than it appears on our maps!! I think at this time, we are planning on camping. This may change, may not! hopefully it is not the wrong thing to do!:)

There are major retailers on the peninsula. Soldotna has a full service Fred Meyer as well as a Safeway. Kenai has a Safeway and Walmart. Seward and Homer have a Safeway. .

Here's a link to grocery prices at one of the major grocery stores in Anchorage last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageGroceryPrices

The company we spoke to told us the insurance was covered as they could not just accept the public's word on this issue. QUOTE]

All of it with a zero liability to you for ALL damages?? What company has this package?? Would be of benefit for consideration.

Archived